Sturgis

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2018 12:53 pm
@ehBeth,
Interesting. Thanks for that, ehBeth.
Reading it also finally answered my lingering question: 'Is she related to Mario Biaggi?'
The Biaggi pot holder that her grandpop gave out years ago is long gone, so, it's not going to get use by me in this round.

I wasn't completely surprised by her win over Klein as he has been more than a little problematic in Albany. A supposed Democrat, it has been hard to believe from his right-leaning voting record.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2018 12:56 pm
@Sturgis,
I thought the overall reaction to the IDC gang was terrific.

Mario handed out roach clips?

Wink
Sturgis

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2018 01:18 pm
@ehBeth,
Possibly. The pot holders we got though were made of cloth (and I think were meant more for display as they were none too large)

And yes, the IDC is getting trounced quite nicely (which may also explain why Andy Cuomo seemed so angry after winning his primary).
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2018 01:23 pm
@ehBeth,
I hadn't seen that article. Thanks.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2018 01:29 pm
@Sturgis,
I do love political ephemera. One of my favourite pieces is a Jack Layton NDP tea towel.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2018 01:30 pm
@ehBeth,
Wonderful article about a wonderful person.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2018 04:42 pm
U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, and his Democratic challenger, U.S. Rep. Beto O'Rourke of El Paso, have agreed to three debates before Election Day.

Announced Friday by both campaigns, the schedule calls for debates Sept. 21 in Dallas, Sept. 30 in Houston and Oct. 16 in San Antonio. Each event will be an hour long and vary in topic and format:

Dallas: Domestic policy, moderated
Houston: Domestic policy, "town hall style"
San Antonio: Half domestic policy, half foreign policy; moderated
The Dallas debate will be at Southern Methodist University, the Houston debate will be at the University of Houston and the San Antonio debate will be at a studio there.

The announcement caps a debate over debates that began in May when O'Rourke proposed six debates with Cruz, two in Spanish. Cruz, who is not fluent in the language, quickly shot down that idea and maintained he was open to debating O'Rourke but wanted to wait until closer to Election Day to talk debate details and lock in a schedule.

In July, Cruz formally responded to O'Rourke's debate challenge, proposing five topical debates over three months in five cities. O'Rourke took issue with several aspects of Cruz's counter-offer, including the fact all the debates would be on Friday evenings during high school football season. O'Rourke also asked Cruz if they could add a sixth debate in O'Rourke's hometown of El Paso, and Cruz offered to swap out one of the five cities in his plan for El Paso.

While the schedule announced Friday does not feature a debate in El Paso, it does include days that are not Friday. The Dallas debate falls on a Friday, but the ones in Houston and San Antonio are on a Sunday and Tuesday, respectively.

For weeks, the two campaigns had appeared to be at a stalemate. Seeking to force O'Rourke's hand, Cruz accepted an invitation from two Dallas media outlets to debate O'Rourke on Aug. 31 in that city — which had been part of Cruz's proposed schedule — but O'Rourke declined to follow suit, citing continued problems with the debate negotiations. More recently, Cruz expressed doubt that debates would even happen with the two sides at loggerheads and the clock ticking until Election Day.

Early voting begins Oct. 22.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2018 04:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think this is great news - been chatting about it on twitter.

That Cruz takes him seriously enough to do the debates is a big step forward for Beto being taken seriously.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2018 05:15 pm
@ehBeth,
If Cruz was not worried, he would coast through the election while ignoring Beto. Cruz has two problems. Even Republicans don't like him. He has no accomplishments to brag of.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2018 05:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
yup. he tried ignoring Beto. it didn't work so well.

acknowledging a Democrat as a legit challenger is a bit of change for Cruz/Texas (outside of Austin)

I was pretty amazed when news of the debate agreement came out. I thought Cruz would be able to keep dodging it with all of his gotta-haves.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2018 05:31 pm
@ehBeth,
If Beto is going to win, the debates will deserve the credit, in my opinion.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2018 05:17 am
Ted Cruz Says He Wishes Beto O’Rourke Wasn’t ‘Quick to Blame the Officer’ in Botham Jean Shooting

Headline says it all
ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2018 08:37 am
@edgarblythe,
Cruz is simply vomitous.
camlok

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2018 08:45 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Cruz is simply vomitous.

Ping pong, give that lady a kewpie doll.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2018 10:27 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Cruz is simply vomitous.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/f6/04/ab/f604ab4ed8e04ca09a29750bf5309398.png
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2018 11:55 am
Quote:
The Descent into Progressive Madness

Smart man, dumb progressives. Read the article.
Quote:
All that we can say about this new progressivism is the same as what we can say about the cult of sanctuary cities, ensuring universal Medicare for all, and the idea of abolishing ICE: It operates outside the realm of reason and truth as it descends into collective madness.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/09/progressive-madness-cory-booker-maxine-waters-john-kerry/
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2018 01:36 pm
https://scontent.fhou1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/41930303_10155881072380784_7658912044460015616_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&oh=9e33c9eb85f5da0616e2fc04abff6d5c&oe=5C2993BB
camlok

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2018 01:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think you truly believe the same thing Willie does, Edgar. Do you like to see Muslims, Iraqis, Afghans, Syrians, Libyans, Iranians, ... badly badly "mistreated" and much much worse, including murdered all because of the lies of all US governments?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2018 01:48 pm

TYT's Cenk Uygur spoke with Liz Watson, a progressive candidate challenging Rep. Trey Hollingsworth (R) to represent Indiana's 9th district.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2018 01:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
There is still time to get Willie on the ballot.
0 Replies