InfraBlue

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2019 06:28 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

Not true. I for one say leave the statues alone. Its history and true history should be taught in schools so people can understand the wrong and right of our civil war. Next thing you know someone will advocate doing away with Indian statues because we fought a war with them.

The statues were put up to commemorate these people and to show black people where they stand in the larger picture. We don't need to commemorate these people to teach their true history.

We commemorate the Indians because we recognize that what was done to them was unjust and they truly were heroic in the face of that injustice. The two cannot be equated.
blatham

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2019 08:14 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
Next thing you know someone will advocate doing away with Indian statues because we fought a war with them.
The better analogy would be a statue of Custer.

I have seen no evidence at all that some portion of the Unite the Right contingent were protesting as a matter of benign historical preservation. I've seen nothing that details others present who formed some third group neither white supremacists nor those protesting against white extremism. The Unite the Right people stated that part of their motivation for the march was the statue issue but everything else they did suggests that this was an insignificant issue for them.

Does anyone imagine they'd arrive in force to protest the removal of a statue of Frederick Douglass?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2019 10:19 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
When in doubt, ask yourself: what would Bernie Sanders do?

Would he try to defend neonazis, who long for an ideology that killed his entire family? Would he consider the good side of the neonazis? Or would he condemn them with rightful fury?

Sanders is himself a neonazi. That's why he falsely accuses Israel of imaginary crimes and calls for Israel to be harmed over those imaginary crimes.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2019 10:20 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
the New York attorney general, Letitia James, has opened a formal investigation into the group's financial practices, including whether it should retain its nonprofit status.

As if the courts were really going to let the government discriminate against a group for engaging in political speech and defending civil liberties.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2019 10:21 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Christ almighty. I had not seen this Trump tweet before.
Quote:
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
I have asked Secretary of State @SecPompeo to closely study the South Africa land and farm seizures and expropriations and the large scale killing of farmers. “South African Government is now seizing land from white farmers.” @TuckerCarlson @FoxNews
7:28 PM - Aug 22, 2018

So I take it you support racist policies against white people?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2019 10:22 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:
I know it shouldn't really matter. Whether they are chanting "You or Jews will not replace us", they are both just as bad.

I don't see them as being remotely similar.

Only one of them is a vile attack against Jews.
oralloy

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2019 10:24 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
Either is bad.

What is bad about "you will not replace us"?

I'd consider the fear of being replaced to be a bit misguided. But to my ears it doesn't sound nearly as bad as a vile attack against Jews.
oralloy

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2019 10:49 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
No one else is suggesting that some of the people who marched in Charlottesville were simply protesting the removal of a statue.

I'll suggest it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2019 10:50 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
The statues were put up to commemorate these people and to show black people where they stand in the larger picture.

No. Just to commemorate the regional heroes.

InfraBlue wrote:
We don't need to commemorate these people to teach their true history.

We may not need to do so, but people like to commemorate their regional heroes.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2019 12:16 am
@RABEL222,
Next thing you know, someone will ask for a statue of Hitler to be erected in Washington DC.
oralloy

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2019 12:20 am
@Olivier5,
Unlikely. He's not a regional hero.
blatham

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2019 07:27 am
I am in total agreement with this.

Quote:
Paul Krugman
‏Verified account
@paulkrugman
A thought about Biden and Sanders: Different as they are, they both (in my view) have fantasies about the political realities that would face a Dem president, even if the party regains the Senate 1/
6:08 AM - 30 Apr 2019

Paul Krugman
‏@paulkrugman
Biden imagines that he could reach out to good people across the aisle and achieve bipartisanship. Sanders imagines that he can persuade large numbers of GOP voters to embrace much bigger govt, including single-payer health care 2/

Paul Krugman
‏@paulkrugman
Everything we've seen for decades says that these are fantasies. Any Democrat will face what Obama faced: scorched-earth opposition. And never mind Republicans – even many Dem voters will balk at a plan that takes away private insurance 3/

Paul Krugman
‏@paulkrugman
Either man could turn out to be a very good president – and God knows it wouldn't take much to improve on where we are. But neither seems remotely prepared for the bitter political trench warfare that surely awaits. 4/

Paul Krugman
‏@paulkrugman
And can I say that this naivety probably has something to do with being an old white guy (says a fairly old white guy). Someone like Warren isn't just a font of policy ideas; she also knows very well what she would be up against 5
/
snood

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2019 08:25 am
@blatham,
Me too neither Spanky.
revelette1

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2019 08:54 am
House Democrats to hold 1st Medicare-for-all hearing
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2019 09:01 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

maporsche wrote:
Either is bad.

What is bad about "you will not replace us"?

I'd consider the fear of being replaced to be a bit misguided. But to my ears it doesn't sound nearly as bad as a vile attack against Jews.

Do you concede that they did in fact chant "Jews will not replace us!"
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2019 09:11 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Unlikely. He's not a regional hero.
But certainly you - a someone who wants to protect Confederate statues - are outraged that post-war Germany had torn down Nazi memorials, isn't it? (Germany does not have statues of Hitler, or monuments honouring the valour of Nazi soldiers.)

blatham

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2019 10:01 am
@snood,
Quote:
Me too neither Spanky.
Outside of Mistress Olga (She-wolf of the SS when in uniform) you're the only one who calls me Spanky.
blatham

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2019 10:03 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
Very unlikely. Guys who carry swastika flags normally love the Jewish people. It's a well known fact liberals try to make us forget.

It's time to drop this idiotic discussion. The douchebags who want to excuse what happened those two days do not deserve our time and attention.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2019 10:10 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
But certainly you - a someone who wants to protect Confederate statues - are outraged that post-war Germany had torn down Nazi memorials, isn't it? (Germany does not have statues of Hitler, or monuments honouring the valour of Nazi soldiers.)

Hitler is not worthy of veneration.

Common German soldiers (if they have committed no war crimes) are worthy of veneration. So are non-genocidal military officers.

I think a statue of Rommel would be perfectly appropriate.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2019 10:12 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I'm unconvinced. But I haven't spent a lot of time researching the march.

Maybe I'll set aside some time to try to look into it. It won't be this afternoon though. I'm about to drive to a city to watch Endgame.