Lash

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2019 05:05 am
@Olivier5,
Several of Bernie’s hottest policies actually will have a more dramatic impact on black/brown/poor people. Running to work, but I’ll be happy to come back and list them!! He’s trying to undo the horrors Clinton, Biden and their ilk perpetrated on minority and poor people—that Obama let slide.
livinglava

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2019 05:19 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Several of Bernie’s hottest policies actually will have a more dramatic impact on black/brown/poor people. Running to work, but I’ll be happy to come back and list them!! He’s trying to undo the horrors Clinton, Biden and their ilk perpetrated on minority and poor people—that Obama let slide.

The horrors that need to be understood is how the larger network of global organized crime connects with US gangs to recruit people into criminal activities that get them imprisoned at best and murdered in gang wars at worst.

We should question why the media and the liberals can pay so much critical attention to racist police without putting a similar focus on the illegal corporate police that terrorize and kill people in order to subjugate them to drugs and organized crime.

If they were really concerned about minorities, shouldn't they focus at least as much attention on the criminal networks that exploit and abuse them as on the police who go too far trying to rectify the situation? It's like they're trying to paralyze the police in order to make it easier for crime to destroy minorities and the poor.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2019 06:00 am
@Lash,
It will be interesting to see how Sanders implements all these policies specifically tuned for the black, brown, and poor community with a Republican controlled Senate and a conservative judiciary. I think it's a bit unfair to say Obama did "nothing" for them. They were particularly hurt by the recession and the sub-prime scandal and working to repair the overall economy, while not specifically addressed to help any one particular group, was his main responsibility.
blatham

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2019 09:46 am
@hightor,
Quote:
I think it's a bit unfair to say Obama did "nothing" for them.
Even if this is a right wing talking point designed to reduce black voter enthusiasm, I still maintain that Lash better understands Obama's contributions to the advance of black rights in America and so must surely be superior to the opinions of the uneducated, stupid, duped women of color attending that event. And I'm certain - aren't we all? - that if black/colored Americans were polled on whether Obama has done less for them than Sanders, they'd side with Lash.
blatham

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2019 09:51 am
Elizabeth Drew with a thoughtful piece on impeachment
Quote:
...Madison and Hamilton didn’t say anything about holding off on impeachment because it would be politically risky. It’s hard to imagine they’d put political convenience on the same footing as the security of the Constitution. And the Democrats who prefer to substitute the 2020 election for an impeachment fight don’t appear to have considered the implications if Mr. Trump were to win: Would that not condone his constitutional abuses and encourage his authoritarian instincts?

Moreover, the report by Robert Mueller, the special counsel, left clear openings, perhaps even obligations, for Congress to act...
https://nyti.ms/2IJPITs
blatham

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2019 10:07 am
Re the Texas case you may have been following where thee state is attempting to undermine the BDS movement.
Quote:
For the third time, a federal judge blocks an Israel boycott ban on First Amendment grounds

...In a 56-page opinion, Pitman, an Obama appointee, found that the state could not prohibit boycotting the state of Israel as a condition of public employment. His holding is the third by a federal judge since last year to turn back state legislation that aims to use public money to deter anti-Israel activity.
https://wapo.st/2IGKvf6
Relevant to our earlier discussions on the deep influence of the AIPAC (now very pro-Likud) on American politics.
snood

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2019 10:55 am
I don't usually do this. No list would convince those who disparage Obama's efforts, and none is required for those who are honest about what was expected of him and what he was able to do against unprecedented opposition.
But just for the record...

Obama's Jumpstart Our Business Startup (JOBS) resultedin the emancipation of capital for minority and women-owned businesses.

My Brother's Keeper initiative raised $200 million over 5 years for programs specifically focused on helping young men of color.

After Obamacare was enacted, the uninsured rate fell from 16% to 11.9%, covering millions more poor and POC. If Republicans had not blocked the expansion of Medicaid millions more POC would've been covered.

Obama signed legislation increasing the maximum Pell grant by over $1000, and total Pell Grant funding by 70%, helping many more poor and POC to afford college.

Obama signed into law the American Opportunity Tax Credit which provided a tax cut of up to $10,000 over 4 years for nearly 10 million families in need of help paying for college.

After the events in Ferguson, Obama established a Task Force on Policing which rolled back the use of military style vehicles and equipment by local police. This was an initiative which came directly as a result of talks with the Black Lives Matter movement.

Obama was central in the creation of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau which enforced fair lending laws and protected against discriminatory lending. This has of course been gutted by Trump, as has any initiative to help the poor, women or POC with Obama's name involved.

Obama expanded the Earned Income Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit which was a direct financial help to low income families -many of which are POC.

There are many more initiatives started, signed or encouraged by Obama. And it's impossible to quantify the positive effect Obama and his family had on the forming minds of young POC. As a youth counselor I experienced first hand the pride in self that was expressed connected to seeing a Black family carry the mantle so well.

As I said, Obama got up and went to work against a historically hostile Congress, and a butt-hurt white back lash. As I also said, no list will satisfy some, and none is necessary for those who were paying attention. For the likes of Lash to say Obama did nothing - while totally in character for her - is just plain wrong.

snood

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2019 10:57 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
I think it's a bit unfair to say Obama did "nothing" for them.
Even if this is a right wing talking point designed to reduce black voter enthusiasm, I still maintain that Lash better understands Obama's contributions to the advance of black rights in America and so must surely be superior to the opinions of the uneducated, stupid, duped women of color attending that event. And I'm certain - aren't we all? - that if black/colored Americans were polled on whether Obama has done less for them than Sanders, they'd side with Lash.

Undoubtedly
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2019 11:26 am
@snood,
Well done, snood.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2019 02:48 pm
Quote:
Republicans everywhere are waging a desperate battle against democracy

We are two years removed from an election in which the Republican nominee became president despite getting 3 million fewer votes than the Democrat, six months removed from a midterm election in which Democrats won sweeping victories at all levels, and 18 months away from the next presidential election. The Republican Party is in a panic — as well it should be, not just because its leader is extremely unpopular, but because its electoral coalition is shrinking as a proportion of the population.

In response, Republicans are waging a scorched-earth campaign against
democracy itself.

The latest news on this front comes out of Michigan, where a panel of federal judges just ordered the legislature to redraw its district maps after finding that the state’s extreme gerrymander, undertaken by Republicans, violated the rights of Democratic voters.

"Evidence from numerous sources demonstrates that the map-drawers and legislators designed the Enacted Plan with the specific intent to discriminate against Democratic voters,” the judges wrote.

Let’s take a little tour around the country, to see some of the other blows that Republicans are trying to strike against democracy:

-In Missouri, Republican state legislators are attempting to undo a constitutional amendment passed overwhelmingly by the state’s voters last November which took the power to redistrict out of the hands of the legislature and gave it to a nonpartisan state demographer.
-In Florida, after voters overwhelmingly chose to restore voting rights to felons after they serve their sentences, the Republican-controlled state house passed a bill requiring felons to pay all court fines, fees, and restitution before they are allowed to exercise their right to vote. In other words, a poll tax.
-In Tennessee, Republicans are moving to impose a raft of restrictions on voter registration drives, including the possibility of jail time for organizers who file faulty registration forms, even though those who register voters are legally required to submit all the forms they receive even if they contain mistakes.
=In Texas, the state Senate passed a bill imposing harsh criminal penalties for people who make mistakes on their voter registration forms.
=In Arizona, Republicans are pushing a bill that would throw voters off the mail-in ballot list if they failed to vote early in either a primary or general election in two consecutive elections; if it becomes law, hundreds of thousands of Arizonans will likely lose their ability to vote by mail.
-In Washington, D.C., the Supreme Court is poised to allow the Trump administration to add a citizenship question to the census, with the obvious intent of discouraging people in immigrant communities from answering, thereby making those communities look smaller than they are and depriving them of political power.

...In the meantime, Republicans have decided that if democracy is working against them, they’ll work against democracy.
https://wapo.st/2IUH04d
Lash

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2019 03:02 pm
@snood,
I appreciate you giving me a list of what you believe Obama accomplished for minorities and poor people.

I’m going to research every single one of these items; meanwhile, I think you should know about the damage done to minority business etc by this guy.

https://www.nationalbcc.org/news/beyond-the-rhetoric/1405-president-obamas-solution-for-minority-business-kill-it-part-ii

Excerpt:
It all looked so good in the beginning. There was going to be a change. There has been a change but it is not what we expected. Unemployment is higher than ever for African Americans. While there are many reasons there is one direct correlation. The amount of contracting by Black owned firms at the federal government level has drastically been reduced. It is to the point of less than one percent. That is an all time low.

Instead of exhausting all avenues to improve the amount of Black contracting, this administration is now taking formal action to end all minority goaling from the agencies. There was a time a few years ago that HUD was enjoying a 40% level for minority contracting and most of that was with Black firms. Even the Congressional Black Caucus awarded Secretary Alphonso Jackson for that accomplishment. Today that level is below 4% and it fell with lightning speed. The following is an open letter that I received last week:

“The following is a statement by the American Small Business League:

As one of the most influential minority leaders in America, I am asking for your help in stopping a policy that could cost minority communities millions of jobs. On Friday, September 9, the Obama administration proposed a policy to end one of the most successful federal programs to create jobs and stimulate growth among minority-owned small businesses.
The policy, announced in the Federal Register, aims to end a program that established a five percent minority-owned small business federal contracting goal for the Department of Defense, NASA and the U.S. Coast Guard. I estimate that this change will have a significant, negative economic impact on a substantial number of minority-owned small businesses, costing millions of jobs.

It is difficult to understand why, in the middle of one of the worst economic downturns in U.S. history, and when unemployment has hit minority communities especially hard, the Obama administration would end one of the most successful programs to create jobs for minorities. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, the jobless figure for African Americans is 16 percent and 11.3 percent among Hispanics. Close to 35 percent of the U.S. population is made up of ethnic minorities and 5.8 million businesses are minority-owned. According to U.S. Census Bureau data, small businesses create 90 percent of all net new jobs in America. I estimate that this change will divert billions of dollars in federal contracts away from minority-owned small businesses, thwarting the power of those businesses to expand and hire.
blatham

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2019 03:20 pm
The National Black Chamber of Commerce
Quote:
However, the organization is largely funded by non-African American businesses on behalf of whose interests it often lobbies, such as the fossil fuel, telecommunications,[2][3][4] and tobacco industries,[5][6] and has sometimes been accused of being a front group.[4][2][7]
[/b] wikipedia

Such a surprise.
blatham

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2019 03:33 pm
Quote:
Trump is the #1 expert on…
- Taxes
- Construction
- Campaign finance
- Drones
- Technology
- U.S. History
- Infrastructure
- ISIS
- Facebook
- Renewables
- Polls
- Courts
- Steel workers
- Golf
- Banks
- Nuclear arms
- The system
- Debt
- Politicians

There's a video compilation of his claims to that is really, really worth your time. Not sure if you can access it without a twitter account and I can't yet find a youtube copy
https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1081528992484610048

The guy is a sociopath. His concern here, as always, is to pump himself up as a means to dominate others. He knows what he says isn't true but he has no concerns whatsoever of how his constant dishonesty and bullying is effecting discourse in the nation and how it models - for all the children and young adults in America - the worst sorts of social behaviors. This would be very ugly in an artist or celebrity or anyone in the public eye. But to model it daily as the President of the nation cannot be excused. Any who do so are complicit.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2019 03:37 pm
@blatham,
How The National Black Chamber Of Commerce’s Leader Is Harming African Americans
ARI PHILLIPS
MAR 17, 2015, 4:15 PM

Smog is getting its moment in the Congressional spotlight, and the politics are dirty.

In a House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology hearing on Tuesday morning, Republicans called upon longtime utility and fossil fuel advocates — including Harry C. Alford, President and CEO of the National Black Chamber of Commerce (NBCC) — to push back on the Environmental Protection Agency’s proposed tightening of ground-level ozone levels to levels between 65 and 70 parts per billion, rather than the current 75 parts per billion standard.

Alford is no stranger to Congress. In the past, he has testified that the EPA’s efforts to limit greenhouse gas emissions for power plants would cause electricity prices to skyrocket. As far back as 1998 he testified that the ratification of the Kyoto Protocol would be detrimental to minority-owned small businesses. Since 1998, the NBCC has received $800,000 from ExxonMobil. It has also been funded by the tobacco industry.

But Alford’s record of actively opposing environmental policies has struck a nerve with other black leaders in America, who are condemning his relationship with polluting industries.

This testimony harms African Americans.

Dr. Michael Dorsey, the Interim Director for the Energy and Environment Program at the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies, sees Alford’s tactics as being far more than simply misleading — he sees them as actually being very dangerous to African American communities.

“This testimony harms African Americans,” Dorsey, who has a PhD in environmental policy from the University of Michigan, told ThinkProgress. “Alfred’s false claims about energy are a triple threat — they harm African Americans in their wallets, they harm them in their lungs, and they threaten the environments they live in. He doesn’t even represent black business, it’s criminal.”

Automobiles, power plants, factories, and refineries all produce ozone-forming pollutants, which make up smog. Elevated ozone levels put people at risk for premature death, aggravated asthma, and difficulty breathing, according to the American Lung Association.

Alford’s remarks Tuesday parroted his past statements. He said that the proposed strengthening of ozone regulations would “shut off huge parts of country to job growth” and would lead to “loss of good health.”

In February, Alford penned an op-ed in the Hill arguing that the EPA’s proposal will shut down coal-fired power plants, which will be harmful to African Americans and African American small business owners in need of “dependable energy and predictable utility bills.”

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) is directly at odds with Alford’s statements. In 2012, the NAACP released a report called “Coal Blooded” stating that of the six million Americans living near coal plants, 39 percent are people of color. NAACP President and CEO Benjamin Todd Jealous said that “coal pollution is literally killing low-income communities and communities of color.”

Dorsey argues that what Alford is doing condemns these minority communities to “remain underneath” dirty energy and prevents them from getting the many benefits of renewable energy. Because of this, the community Alford purports to represent is actually being dramatically misrepresented by arguments “not based on any science and not based on him being a serious advocate.”

“He’s just mouthing off talking points from Edison Electric,” said Dorsey. “It’s disturbing that he would subject himself to being so manipulated.”

Dorsey’s distress extends to Congress as well.

“Not enough Democrats or Republicans want to get together and have serious conversations about serious issues,” he said. “Throwing snowballs and playing games — when we play games with these issues people lose their lives.”

A highly partisan issue, ground-level ozone regulations have done a lot to improve air quality, and lawmakers like Eddie Bernice Johnson (D-TX), ranking Democratic member of the Committee on Science, Space, and Technology, think they can and should be taken further.

This is not a new line of attack.

“As someone who worked in the public health field before I came to Congress, I am very sensitive to the effect that poor air quality can have on all Americans, especially the young and the poor,” Johnson told ThinkProgress. “Some of my colleagues repeatedly argue that any EPA regulation will kill jobs, decimate the industrial base, and cause major harm to our economy. This is not a new line of attack.”

Johnson said that these accusations have been made for decades about every major new environmental and consumer protection regulation, “from catalytic converters to scrubbers to seat belts. We all know that none of those predictions are true.” She said it is actually quite the opposite: “There is much more evidence that jobs are created and the economy expands following the passage of major reforms.”

The overwhelming majority of scientists believe that the EPA should tighten ozone restrictions. In June 2014, the EPA’s Clean Air Scientific Advisory Committee (CASAC) — made up of scientists, physicians, researchers and air pollution experts — unanimously recommended that the agency lower the limit of ozone pollution from its current standard.

“If I’m making a diagnosis, it’s not contingent on cost of treatment,” said Dr. Mary B. Rice, from Harvard Medical School, during the hearing. “Similarly with respect to ozone pollution, the medical and scientific community has made a clear and indisputable diagnosis that ozone is harmful to human health.”

As of July, 123 million people — 40 percent of the U.S. population — lived in areas that don’t meet the current ozone standards, which are primarily in urban and industrial settings. Ozone concentrations typically reach unhealthful levels when the weather is hot and sunny with little or no wind, according to the EPA. With a final EPA’s updated National Ambient Air Quality Standards for Ozone due by October 1 by court order, March 17 is the last day for public comments. There have already been more than 51,000 submissions.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2019 03:40 pm
@blatham,
FACTSHEET: NATIONAL BLACK CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, NBCC
DETAILS
http://www.nationalbcc.org
1350 Connecticut Ave. NW Suite 825 Washington, DC 20036
Phone: (202) 466-6888
Fax: (202) 466-4918

Founded in 1993, the National Black Chamber of Commerce is on the "leading edge of educating and training Black communities on the need to participate vigorously in this great capitalistic society known as America." The NBCC has 95,000 black owned business members.

NBCC's position on the Kyoto Protocol cites "continued scientific uncertainties" and high economic costs associated with "radical" changes in emission policies. (http://www.nationalbcc.org/issues/default.asp?id=1303) NBCC's Public Policy Council works with the board of directors to "formulate positions on the Global Warming Treaty, Tax Reform, National Air Ambient Quality, OSHA Laws, etc." Membership on this council requires a $25,000 donation. Current Public Policy Council members include General Motors, Texaco, Caterpillar, Sprint, Daimler Chrysler, and Columbia/HCA. (http://www.nationalbcc.org/membership/categories.asp)

KEY QUOTES
"In December 1997, the 186 signatories to the Framework Convention on Climate Change met in Kyoto, Japan, to conclude an agreement that addresses concerns that increased concentration levels of greenhouse gases within the Earth's atmosphere will lead to climatic disruptions- the global warming theory. Despite continued scientific uncertainties related to this theory, the countries agreed in principle to the Kyoto Protocol-legally binding commitments by 38 industrialized nations to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions to specific levels by specific dates. This treaty would have a significant impact on domestic and international economies, as participating nations adopt radical changes to existing energy policies in order to meet the Protocol's requirements."
Source: NBCC website 4/04

KEY DEEDS
Published a study entitled "Potential Economic Impacts on the Kyoto Climate Change Protocol on Blacks and Hispanics in the U.S."
Source: NBCC website 4/04

4 June, 1998
NBCC President Harry Alford testified before the House Small Business Committee that US ratification of the Kyoto Protocol would be detrimental to minority-owned small businesses.
Source: Transcript, Harry Alford's testimony before House Small Business Committee 6/4/98

FUNDING
National Black Chamber of Commerce has received $1,000,000 from ExxonMobil since 1998.
blatham

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2019 03:57 pm
@neptuneblue,
Good man.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2019 04:30 pm
@neptuneblue,
So, we may not like that they get their money from oil—although SO DOES JOE BIDEN AND MOST DEMOCRAT CANDIDATES!!!—but refute the statistics they cited in their article.

Can you??

Hahaha. So, you can point the finger at Obama’s campaign donors and donors of other democrats, but you can’t refute the Black Chamber of Commerces facts on how Obama killed their businesses.

Thanks!

snood

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2019 04:35 pm
The National Black Chamber of Commerce is funded largely by ExxonMobil.
Lash uses NBCC - backed anti Obama propaganda as a source.
Excuse me if I don’t take very seriously her assertion that she’s going to “research all” of the items I named. If she researches it at all, she’ll not be looking for facts, but to find ways to denigrate what Obama did.
She comes to this discussion with only one purpose - to extol Saint Bernie and **** on any Democrat who falls short of the glory of Saint Bernie - which means (wait for it) BASICALLY EVERY OTHER DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATE.

I’m with Maporche on this- I won’t support Sanders in a primary, but I will support him or any one else who wins the Democratic nomination.
neptuneblue

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2019 05:14 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
“On Friday, September 9, the Obama administration proposed a policy to end one of the most successful federal programs to create jobs and stimulate growth among minority-owned small businesses.

The policy, announced in the Federal Register, aims to end a program that established a five percent minority-owned small business federal contracting goal for the Department of Defense, NASA and the U.S. Coast Guard. I estimate that this change will have a significant, negative economic impact on a substantial number of minority-owned small businesses, costing millions of jobs.

And which policy was this and what happened to it?
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2019 06:15 pm
Obama was 100 times better as president than Trump. But as were the last 3democratic presidents he was conservative light. We haven't had a liberal president since Johnson.
0 Replies