Lash

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2019 08:52 pm
@neptuneblue,
If he was the type to buy off the DNC, I wouldn’t have voted for him.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2019 08:53 pm
@neptuneblue,
Interesting to get a good look at you, though.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2019 09:02 pm
@Lash,
You need to quit whining about the past and look into the future. Every single time you complain how YOUR candidate lost is one MORE time you're missing the point. Sure, it's ok to reflect and make changes to strategy but bemoaning that Bernie lost isn't going to "make" him win now.

Bernie has some pretty good ideas but those get lost when you keep saying he was the "first" to put out certain policies, well, so what?? The idea caught on, and here we are.

So, if you think Bernie can hold it together, explain if/how/why things should be done differently, I'm all ears.

But if you just want to whine how unfair life is please join another poster who feels democrats give him a raw deal. He's got that market cornered. In fact, he may be able to give you pointers on how to play the victim card to its potential.
Below viewing threshold (view)
neptuneblue

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2019 09:10 pm
@Lash,
Sniff.

*Hides away so Lash can vent stupid rhetoric that serves absolutely no purpose.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2019 11:00 pm
@neptuneblue,
I know, it stings when she lashes out....
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2019 11:42 pm
@Brand X,
@TulsiGabbard wrote:
Netanyahu and Saudi Arabia want to drag the United States into war with Iran, and Trump is submitting to their wishes.

I doubt it.

@TulsiGabbard wrote:
The cost in money and lives will be catastrophic.

I don't know about that. It all depends on what sort of war.

Once the unmanned bombers are ready, the US Air Force will be able to inflict justice on Iran without incurring any casualties at all.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2019 11:48 pm
@neptuneblue,
To be poor is actually a quality, nowadays, associated with honesty and rooting for the common folk. Imagine a poor man in the White House. It'd be almost shocking.
Brand X

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2019 04:45 am
AIPAC Targets Bernie Sanders in Facebook Ads Focused on Key Democratic Primary States

'SEN. BERNIE SANDERS, who could be the first Jewish president of the United States two years from now, is currently the target of a pressure campaign on Facebook paid for by the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, the pro-Israel lobbying group known as AIPAC.

The sponsored post urges Facebook users to add their names to an online petition telling Sanders that “America stands with Israel.”

https://theintercept.com/2019/04/09/aipac-targets-bernie-sanders-facebook-ads-focused-key-democratic-primary-states/
Olivier5

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2019 08:42 am
@Brand X,
If Sanders emerges as the leader of the pack (which I hope he does), you can expect the powers that be on the right (the lobbies, FAUX, the radio-cretins, Trump tweets, etc.) to go after him far more viciously than they ever went after anybody else.

Maybe even bullets...
georgeob1

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2019 09:31 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

To be poor is actually a quality, nowadays, associated with honesty and rooting for the common folk. Imagine a poor man in the White House. It'd be almost shocking.

When was the last time a French President met that test?
snood

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2019 09:55 am
@Olivier5,
Obama received one credible death threat per week on average, whereas the last several predecessors received one per month.
blatham

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2019 09:58 am
Draining the Swamp notes from all over
Quote:
Trump campaigned against the “rigged economy,” vowing to “drain the swamp” of elite corruption and take on plutocrats who structure the economic rules and tax code to enrich themselves. But as president, he has starved various oversight functions in their favor, and his massive corporate tax cuts did not shift corporate behavior to the benefit of workers, instead exploding corporate income and showering buybacks on shareholders.

What Trump has done is very much in keeping with GOP economic orthodoxy, and it’s often described as “getting government out of the way” through deregulation and lower taxes. But, crucially, the Roosevelt vision maintains this is a misnomer: All of that actually constituted an active further rigging of the economy in favor of wealthy and corporate interests.

The answer to this — enshrined in the Roosevelt blueprint, and increasingly voiced by Democrats — is a progressive rewiring of our political economy. This requires two separate steps: rewriting market rules so they are no longer skewed to concentrate wealth, income and economic and political power upward; and reinvigorating government power and spending on behalf of the public good.
Sargent
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2019 10:00 am
@georgeob1,
Depends where you put the bar, I suppose. Macron's declared worth is under half a million euros, his predecessor François Hollande about one million.

Chirac declared 1.4 million when he left the Elysée palace, but he evidently grossly underestimated it. His Bity castle alone (pictured below) is worth several millions.
https://p.mcdn.fr/files/styles/pano_xxl/public/images/article/2/6/5/934562/2157644-focus.jpg
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2019 10:05 am
@snood,
That's interesting data. Is there someone or site compiling it?

It's true that they went after Obama with obscene fury. That'd be hard to top...
blatham

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2019 10:20 am
Quote:
Trump falsely says there’s ‘no law whatsoever’ on his tax returns

Last week, House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Richard Neal (D-Mass.) formally alerted the Treasury Department that he’s demanding access to Donald Trump’s tax returns. In fact, the powerful lawmaker set a deadline: the IRS would have to make the materials available by April 10.
That, of course, is today.

At the White House this morning, a reporter noted the legal requirements in this area, and the president gave every indication that his administration will ignore that deadline.

“There is no law. As you know, I got elected last time with this same issue, and while I’m under audit, I won’t do it…. There’s no law whatsoever…. I would love to give them, but I’m not going to do it while I’m under audit. It’s very simple…. I have no obligation to do that while I’m under audit.”

First, Trump has clung to the “under audit” talking point for years, and it’s never made sense.

Before his election, the Republican used this as excuse, but never offered any proof that the audit existed outside of his imagination. After Trump’s election, it’s true that every president since Watergate has had his tax returns audited automatically, but other modern presidents – from both parties – didn’t see the need for secrecy. Barack Obama, for example, posted his tax returns online for the public to review, despite the annual audit.

Trump could do the same thing today, but for reasons he still hasn’t explained, he doesn’t want to. The president said this morning that he’d “love to” disclose his tax returns, which would be far easier to believe if he actually did that, as he’s free to do at any time.

Second, when Trump says there’s “no law whatsoever” in this area, he’s overlooking one inconvenient statute.

As we’ve discussed, under existing federal law, some congressional leaders have the power to access individual tax returns from the Treasury Department. That power, created in the wake of the Teapot Dome scandal in the 1920s, has been rarely used, but House Democrats are using it now.

Indeed, former Treasury Secretary Lawrence Summers spoke with Rachel just last night about the Trump administration’s legal obligations to comply with the congressional demand. Summers added that there’s no reason for the White House to interfere with the process.

And yet, there was the president this morning, both interfering and pretending an inconvenient law doesn’t exist.

Trump and his team sure do seem nervous about all of this. Why is that?
Benen

Raise your hands, anyone who believes Trump isn't hiding something....

Corporal Egor, Sergeant Schmidt - take those people out back and shoot them.
snood

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2019 10:40 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

That's interesting data. Is there someone or site compiling it?

It's true that they went after Obama with obscene fury. That'd be hard to top...

That was my point. You already concede that point -I don’t see a need to cite the data.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2019 11:08 am
@snood,
Mmokay.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2019 11:19 am
This took longer than expected. Note the two-part move below.
Quote:
Tony Perkins says that Pete Buttigieg, gay Christian presidential candidate, goes against the Bible
Family Research Council's Perkins: Trump, however, "doesn't use the rhetoric of Scripture. He just actually does policy that is in line with Scripture."
MM
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2019 11:40 am
Democratic presidential hopeful Elizabeth Warren releases 2018 tax returns showing $900,000 income.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/10/elizabeth-warren-releases-2018-tax-returns-showing-900000-income.html?__source=facebook%7Cmain&fbclid=IwAR0yKoETAaOM26i0EBjXqjxeKz7PwKymi9CRDLWbU2rrIb-O4i67B9ezjJU
0 Replies