blatham

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2019 12:08 pm
This may throw some light on the Sanders/Beto thing emerging.

From Josh Marshall
Quote:
In response to this post of mine on Beto O’Rourke from March 14th, Marc Hetherington wrote this response. Hetherington and Jonathan Weiler are the authors of this ground-breaking study, Authoritarianism and Polarization in American Politics.
Quote:
You might not be thinking about Beto’s potential base of support the right way. Those of us who follow politics closely always tend to think about the world in terms of ideology. But decades of research in political science suggests that most Americans do not think in ideological terms.

This innocence of ideology manifests itself in both inter- and intra-party contests. The latter is important as it relates to Beto. Remember that the folks who supported Bernie over Hillary were, on average, less, not more, liberal. This suggests that Bernie attracted his supporters on grounds other than ideology.

Our research suggests that the other thing is something more fundamental, what we call worldview. Those who supported Sanders have a worldview that values niche things over mainstream things. They stream rather than using cable. They drive hybrids rather than gas powered cars. They like underdogs and are repelled by the establishment.

This crowd not only voted for Sanders in 16, it voted for Obama in 08, and Bradley in 00. For reasons that have nothing to do with ideology, we think they are going to love Beto in 2020. He’s niche. He’s not establishment. This will be what devastates Sanders’ candidacy. When it was Bernie against the establishment, these people all went for Bernie. But Bernie against Beto will be different. That vote will be split, and I suspect an 80 year old guy from New England will struggle to win that much of it against a 40 year old guy from Texas who used to play in a punk band.

A bit more at link
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2019 12:34 pm
Two tweets from Trump Sunday morning
Quote:
"It's truly incredible that shows like Saturday Night Live, not funny/no talent, can spend all of their time knocking the same person (me), over & over, without so much of a mention of 'the other side.' Like an advertisement without consequences. Same with Late Night Shows....

Quote:
"Should Federal Election Commission and/or FCC look into this? There must be Collusion with the Democrats and, of course, Russia! Such one sided media coverage, most of it Fake News."

Damn tootin'! The government really ought to get involved in policing the content of comedians and satirists on the TV to ensure political balance. Fer sure.

This is funny as hell not least because it was the GOP that revoked the Fairness Rule, which had been in place since 1949, under Reagan, the first conservative movement presidency which led to talk radio and Fox and much else of the sort.

But aside from that history, what we see again is Trump's fragility in the face of satire directed at him. Authoritarian types hate this perhaps more than any other sort of public communication. Laugh at Obama, that's one thing. Laugh at Stalin, that's quite another thing.
blatham

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2019 01:18 pm
Ed Kilgore has a take on the Beto thing

Quote:
What Beto Backlash? Fundraising Haul Undercuts Reports of a Disastrous Launch

...Multiply all this criticism by the frequency at which he was raked over the coals by Republicans and supporters of Democratic rivals, and ratchet it up a few notches via repetition on Twitter, and you have a bit of a mess for a new candidate who had previously ascended on a wave of viral adulation just as intense as this apparent downward swoon.

Then a new week began with this breaking news (per NBC News):
coldjoint

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2019 01:27 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
But aside from that history, what we see again is Trump's fragility in the face of satire directed at him.

Are you kidding? He has taken more abuse than any president in memory. He is far from fragile. You see and speak of what is just not there. You aren't even a good liar, that is why you spam this forum with opinions from irrelevant blowholes
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2019 02:18 pm
@blatham,
It's disastrous in that he won't say how many donors/amount per donor. Progressives don't like that opaqueness.
maporsche

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2019 02:31 pm
@Brand X,
Brand X wrote:

It's disastrous in that he won't say how many donors/amount per donor. Progressives don't like that opaqueness.

He won't say it or he just hasn't yet?

All the numbers will be made public soon enough (it is the law); there won't be any opaqueness.
Lash

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2019 02:36 pm
@hightor,
I’d like to verify. If anybody gets a source of Beto’s donor amounts, please share.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2019 02:38 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
Mr. O’Rourke, Mr. Sanders and the rest of the presidential hopefuls must file fund-raising reports at the end of March. Those first-quarter filings will be made public on April 15.

EDIT: Was writing this response while you posted your question. That's as much as I know, from my morning post. I don't care too much about these donations...they're to be made public. It's the stuff that never sees the light of day that I find more a source of corruption.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2019 02:39 pm
@maporsche,
That’s a lie.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2019 02:40 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
"It's disastrous in that he won't say how many donors/amount per donor. Progressives don't like that opaqueness."

Republicans too. They just hate that funding opacity so much. Hate it, hate it, hate it. Why they would do anything to make all this transparent for citizens. They really would. Because it is honest, you see. And they hate dishonesty. Hate it a million times hating it.
Brand X

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2019 02:41 pm
@maporsche,
Hasn't yet, but that type info came out quick from Kamala and Bern, we'll see.
Bern's last run 76% ended up being small donor, Beto's was 46%.
Lash

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2019 02:43 pm
@hightor,
[quote="hightor"]

Mr. O’Rourke’s aides would not say what their average contribution was or how many total donors contributed within the first 24 hours of his bid.
[/quote]

Why do you think they wouldn’t say?
Brand X

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2019 02:43 pm
@blatham,
This isn't about Republicans vs. Dem's, this is progressives vs. moderate progressives.

But you knew that.
maporsche

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2019 02:57 pm
@Brand X,
Brand X wrote:

Hasn't yet, but that type info came out quick from Kamala and Bern, we'll see.
Bern's last run 76% ended up being small donor, Beto's was 46%.

I think this small donor stuff is pretty silly...but since it get's published as some sort of positive for a candidate, I've adjusted my own donation strategy to take advantage.

For example, I'm automatically donating $18 per month to Amy Klobuchar right now instead of just sending a single larger donation. That way my donation appears to be 10-12 smaller donations instead of 1 single large donation.

It's a stupid stupid game, but if some insist on playing it, I can too.

I guess I'm a bad person if I can afford to donate a few hundred dollars in a primary campaign and my donation is suspect because of all the awesome political favors I get from my huge donation of a few hundred.
Brand X

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2019 03:01 pm
@maporsche,
You're right, there's nothing wrong with PAC's that are on board with the candidates cause(s).
Lash

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2019 03:06 pm
@Brand X,
Sure! And a lot of people want to know what donors’ causes are so closely related to candidates’. I know I do!
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2019 03:27 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Why do you think they wouldn’t say?

Your guess is as good as mine. I'm not on an inside track to know any more about O'Rourke's campaign receipts than you or anyone else in this conversation.

I am picking up some vibe about a perfect ratio of large to small donors or something. Look, it's like the Mueller report, only better (!) because we know we'll get all the information by mid-April. So I'm more than content to wait around. There's plenty of other stuff going on that merits much more attention, you know, IMHO. Speculating on this stuff and handicapping the candidates is March madness.
maporsche

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2019 03:42 pm
@hightor,
I just donated a crisp $1 bill to Beto.

It should help bring his average donation down a bit...which I'm gathering is oh-so important.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2019 03:42 pm
@maporsche,
Do you think that the candidate with the most small individual donations has a more broad appeal than one that doesn't?
coldjoint

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2019 03:45 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
There's plenty of other stuff going on that merits much more attention, you know,

You mean infrastructure? It won't get any attention with a continuing witch hunt. Stalin would be proud.
0 Replies