ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2019 09:25 pm
@blatham,
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

If it had been more acceptable back in the day, Lynn would have been The Candidate.
blatham

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2019 09:29 pm
Re New Zealand and right wing responses
Quote:
Adam Serwer 🍝
‏Verified account
@AdamSerwer
William F Buckley on the 16th Street Baptist Church bombing in 1963: work of a “communist” or “crazed negro,” provoked by “revolutionary assaults on the status quo, and a contempt for the law” and “Supreme Court's manifest contempt” for the constitution

This stuff isn't new. But now it has an entire media system to pump it out.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2019 09:44 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm not arguing against your suggestion if it is that Lynn was more ambitious than Dick.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2019 06:25 am
Quote:
What Do You Think About Beto?
What this country needs is a skateboarder president.
NYT

It's very funny but not without bite.
revelette1

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2019 09:44 am
Despite his swampy unpopularity, Trump is poised to win in 2020

On the above article, I don't agree with the way he characterizes the economy or the leftist/democrat divide. However, I do agree with this sentences/paragraph.

Quote:
It’s also worth noting that for all of the president’s whining about how unfair the news media are to him, there has been extensive coverage, and not just on Fox News, of the Democrats’ circular firing squad.

And so we return to the two dynamics described at the beginning of this column. Trump hasn’t expanded his base, but what he has is solidly behind him. Meanwhile, fractures within the Democratic Party are widening.

The conventional wisdom is that after selecting a nominee a year or so from now, the Democrats will circle the wagons into a cohesive anti-Trump coalition. But who’s to say that will actually happen? Remember: One in 10 people who backed Sanders during his 2016 fight against Hillary Clinton wound up voting for Trump that November.

The Democratic field is already crowded; never underestimate the power of all the egos that are about to be bruised.
revelette1

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2019 09:46 am
@blatham,
I heard somewhere, I think on MSNBC, that the only reason he got elected was his stance on weed. To my mind, he just don't across as Presidential material but he could hardly be worse than Trump.
hightor

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2019 09:46 am
@blatham,
repaired your link

Lash

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2019 11:13 am
A lot of progressives donated to his campaign against Cruz, but that was to unseat Cruz. The reason O’Rourke had a good chance at unseating Cruz was because he was marginally palatable to Texas Republicans—because he espouses a lot of conservative policies

...which is why those same progressives who supported him against Cruz would never support him as president.
blatham

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2019 11:15 am
@hightor,
Quote:
repaired your link
Oh goodness. Thanks. I hope I didn't direct anyone to Naked Norwegian Nuns or some such.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2019 11:27 am
@revelette1,
I'd temper that with the recognition that, at this point in time, "Dem Disarray" is a narrative the press can go with that fills needed column inches and which furthers the (perceived) necessity to write an equal number of negative stories for each party or candidate(s).

Also, the "Dems in disarray" theme comes up pretty much every election (can anyone recall a case where it didn't?)

Third, it is a meme that, when forwarded and multiplied, serves the interests of those who wish it so.

We might also recall the number of GOP candidates 5 years ago and point to who won.

But I think it is surely the case that if a candidate or their supporters go cuckoo it could be damaging. But they would have to go pretty cuckoo.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2019 11:30 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
he only reason he got elected was his stance on weed.
I really haven't followed the fellow and certainly didn't follow that election closely so I have no data on what role the weed issue played. But he is a coherent and charismatic speaker, to be sure, and I really doubt the weed thing would trump those aspects.
blatham

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2019 11:32 am
@Lash,
On those claims too, I again have to good data to counter or support.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2019 11:49 am
@blatham,
start here https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/11/beto-orourke-lostbut-profoundly-changed-texas/575521/

and take a look at David Frum's writings about O'Rourke

__

I'd be surprised if this was O'Rourke's moment, but worth reading about.
coldjoint

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2019 11:57 am
@ehBeth,

The demographic population of Texas was changed by Obama.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2019 12:36 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks Beth! I have to run and will read it all later but this line caught my attention right away
Quote:
In fact, Texas has never “turned” anything. The Republicanization of Texas took nearly a half century to enact
That is the way it works. I suspect many in the progressive camp, particularly younger folks, are setting themselves up for grave disappointment if they imagine Sanders or anyone else is a unicorn who will do magic.
maporsche

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2019 12:39 pm
@blatham,
I think any of the democratic candidates will end up with pretty much the exact same presidency in 2024 (if they win in 2020).

Pretty much the same policies will get passed, the same type of cabinet positions, the same types of federal judges.

Which is why I’ll be more than happy to vote for any one of them next November.
hightor

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2019 12:59 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
...Trump is poised to win in 2020

Depending on its findings, the Mueller report could change the equation a bit.

And the other big unknown is the economy. Right now it's the only substantial bragging point the MAGAsaurus has. Meanwhile the results of his economic policies and 'tax cuts' could begin to undermine his popularity.

There's also his stated interest in attracting legal immigrants to address the need for workers in this time of low-unemployment. This could definitely open up a rift in the GOP.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2019 06:07 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

The Republican party's constituency before LBJ and after are not the same.
Quote='Blatham]It should be clear that I (and many others including an increasing number of conservatives/Republicans) believe your party has gone nuts and has moved to a very dangerous place. You've lost George Will, for **** sake. Because I do believe this is so and because I believe it is very dangerous for the US and for everyone else on the planet, I'm going to keep on my trajectory here as long as I can. But I have to try and be careful in sources and reasoning, and I cannot go propagandist - that is, I cannot proceed along this path if I attempt to use deceit - because that would turn me into what I despise and believe is a primary cause of what's going on.

That's my game.

So, convinced, as you indicate you are, that since Nixon's Presidency the Republican party and its supporters are "in a dangerous place" you continue your one sided commentary, and rebroadcast quoting of other similarly inclined voices, all to emphasize this prejudgment of yours. No apparent interest in the relative merits of the actual policies and objectives of the contending parties, and of the tradeoffs among them - all polemics mostly addressing the presumed bad intentions, motivations of those you oppose . Deceit can take many forms. Merely selecting only the issues, opinions -some your own and many quoted - that appear to support your prejudgments is a form of deceit, as is the confident judgments if the inner motives of those you criticize (and can't possibly know) and you indulge in both with a steadfast profligacy. In that ,despite your self serving denials, you are indeed, merely a propogandist.

The facts that you are neither a resident nor a citizen of this country adds another element to all this. Why do you make such continuous efforts to influence political opinion in a country not your own? Are you a Canadian version of the Russian bots and posers who aspire to sew confusion and discord here, and which cause such outrage among contemporary Democrats? Is there nothing in Canadian politics that interests you and affects you far more directly.

You have justified all this saying the positions of our Republican Party and all it's supporters Republican Party is, in your view "dangerous to everyone on the planet" I can think of several other powerful contenders for that role including China and to a lesser extent Russia ( mostly because it lacks the economic ability to do much, though it remains well armed. ) Why do you ignore them? There are other likely possibilities as well, but I think the point is well established. Why, from your perch in rural Vancouver, do you devote such energy and time to influence the political views in a neighboring country not your own?

I don't dispute your freedom to do all this, but I do question your motives - to be sure not as categorically as you so confidently fault the motives of the Republican figures you criticize so avidly - but I do find them puzzling.
Lash

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2019 06:46 am
The trouble with Beto...

Beto O’Rourke’s political career drew on donations from the pro-Republican business establishment
(Spoiler: he’s most Republican)

Excerpt:
EL PASO —Before Beto O’Rourke became the darling of liberal online donors, his top financial backers hailed from a different set entirely — wealthy businessmen who have sought political influence by collectively donating millions of dollars to Republicans.

Several of El Paso’s richest business moguls donated to and raised money for O’Rourke’ s city council campaigns, drawn to his support for a plan to redevelop El Paso’s poorer neighborhoods. Some later backed a super PAC that would play a key role in helping him defeat an incumbent Democratic congressman.

For his part, O’Rourke worked on issues that had the potential to make money for some of his benefactors. His support as a council member for the redevelopment plan, which sparked controversy at the time because it involved relocating low-income residents, many of them Hispanic, coincided with property investments by some of his benefactors.

As a congressman, he supported a $2 billion military funding increase that benefited a company controlled by another major donor. That donor, real estate developer Woody Hunt, was friends with O’Rourke’s late father. Hunt also co-founded and funds an El Paso nonprofit organization that has employed O’Rourke’s wife since 2016.

“We shared a common goal,” said Ted Houghton, a local financial adviser and longtime O’Rourke donor who raised money for former Texas governor Rick Perry, a Republican, and helped steer millions in state transportation funding to the city. “The common goal was we needed to move El Paso in a different direction.”

O’Rourke, who emerged in 2018 as a national Democratic sensation in his narrow loss to Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.), launched his campaign for president on Thursday promising a new era of unity as he campaigned through small towns in eastern Iowa. The Iowa caucuses in early February will kick off the 2020 primary season.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2019 06:50 am
Beto’s first day donations are ‘reported’ to be below $10,000. He refuses to say. Must be pretty low.

https://wpde.com/news/nation-world/2020-candidate-orourke-not-sharing-fundraising-numbers-yet-03-15-2019
0 Replies