uh....
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2019 11:59 am
Quote:
Trump Sets Record with Highest Trade Deficit Ever

So much winning.
Quote:
in late July, the Republican assured Fox News that, thanks to the wisdom of his economic agenda, the U.S. trade deficit would soon be cut in half.

Quote:
Keep in in mind, just last week, the Republican boasted to reporters in Hanoi, “You saw trade deficits went down last month and everyone’s trying to figure out why. Well, we’re taking a lot of tariff money. And it has reduced the trade deficit.”
Benen

coldjoint

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2019 12:35 pm
@blatham,

Quote:
So much winning.

Like your government stopping Trudeau's opponents from advertising(campaigning) on the Google platform. That is losing, why don't you do something about that?
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2019 01:04 pm
Quote:
House Democrats erupt in protests over indirect sanction of Rep. Omar for alleged anti-Semitism

House Democrats erupted into a full-scale brawl Wednesday, challenging leaders over indirectly sanctioning freshman Rep. Ilhan Omar for alleged anti-Semitic remarks amid an outcry over party inaction to President Trump’s divisive comments on race.

In a closed-door session, Democrats protested plans to vote this week on a resolution condemning religious hatred, a measure prompted by Omar’s comments last week suggesting supporters of Israel have “allegiance to a foreign country.”

WP

This debate might be bad for the party but I think good for the country. Perhaps she was going too far to suggest Israel supporters have allegiance to another country, (I must have missed her saying those words) however, the more this kind of blind loyalty to Israel to the extent where we leave Palestinians out in the cold has not been right for some time.
blatham

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2019 01:09 pm
Do you know why Trump via Cohen and others went all thuggish on retrieving Trump's high school and college records? It wasn't because he had something to hide (while suggesting Obama's marks were "terrible just terrible" and his entry to Harvard a consequence of blacks getting an unfair advantage). It was because of this
Quote:
Look, having nuclear — my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart — you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I’m one of the smartest people anywhere in the world.

He just wanted American citizens not feel badly that they weren't geniuses like he is. He did it out of love.

Republicans understand this. Because they have pretty good genes too. Not like Trump's genes but still, you know, pretty good. Certainly way better than black people.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2019 01:11 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Do you know why Trump via Cohen and others went all thuggish on retrieving Trump's high school and college records?

Do you know why Obama's records are still sealed?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2019 03:14 pm
@revelette1,
This is a tricky one and that is because AIPAC really does have clout. And that clout is bipartisan. The moral issues are simple here but the politics are not.
revelette1

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2019 03:30 pm
@blatham,
It is such a taboo subject. I understand the sensitivity as it would be too easy to slide into anti-Semitism. On the other hand an honest new look needs to happen with Israel and Palestine and oppression of the Palestinian people.

Also, if they are doing that kind of resolution I hope they include all religious hatred, including Islam/Arabs in all nations as well as anti-Semitism against the Jewish people of all nations and lastly Christians in all nations.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2019 03:43 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
Palestine and oppression of the Palestinian people.

How do you oppress terrorists? Anyone is free to explain it to me.
Quote:
2 balloon-borne bombs from Gaza explode in Israeli border towns; no injuries

https://www.timesofisrael.com/2-balloon-borne-bombs-from-gaza-explode-in-israeli-border-towns-no-injuries/
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2019 03:58 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Not like Trump's genes but still, you know, pretty good. Certainly way better than black people.

That is you dragging race into someplace it does not belong. And Sanger said black people were inferior and your party has herded them like animals. You (Democrats) have done nothing to improve their situation and then claim Republicans are racists?
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2019 05:28 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
It is such a taboo subject.

It's not taboo for USAmerican rightists and Israeli Likudniks however — they love bringing it up.

The murderous rightist thug who assassinated Rabin effectively destroyed any hope of detente and guaranteed the hardliners in the Likud political control of Israel.

Quote:
Rallies organized by Likud and other right-wing groups featured depictions of Rabin in a Nazi SS uniform, or in the crosshairs of a gun. Protesters compared the Labor party to the Nazis and Rabin to Adolf Hitler and chanted, "Rabin is a murderer" and "Rabin is a traitor". In July 1995, Netanyahu led a mock funeral procession featuring a coffin and hangman's noose at an anti-Rabin rally where protesters chanted, "Death to Rabin". The chief of internal security, Carmi Gillon, then alerted Netanyahu of a plot on Rabin's life and asked him to moderate the protests' rhetoric, which Netanyahu declined to do. Netanyahu denied any intention to incite violence.
wiki

It's not a matter of "antisemitism" — it's purely political and cynically manufactured to keep one particular party — and constituency — in power.

Quote:
Likud generally advocates free enterprise and nationalism, but it has sometimes compromised these ideals in practice, especially as its constituency has changed. Its support for populist economic programs are at odds with its free enterprise tradition, but are meant to serve its largely nationalistic, lower-income voters in small towns and urban neighborhoods.

(op cit)

Right-wing populism at work.

coldjoint

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2019 05:33 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
It's not a matter of "antisemitism" — it's purely political and cynically manufactured to keep one particular party — and constituency — in power.

And it also has a witch hunt.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2019 06:15 pm
@hightor,
That's a high quality post.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2019 07:28 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

This debate might be bad for the party but I think good for the country. Perhaps she was going too far to suggest Israel supporters have allegiance to another country, (I must have missed her saying those words) however, the more this kind of blind loyalty to Israel to the extent where we leave Palestinians out in the cold has not been right for some time.

These congresspersons are willing to curtail the rights of Americans to free speech, free expression, and free association for the sake of a foreign government. With whom are these traitors aligned, the American people or an ethnocentrically oppressive foreign regime?
oralloy

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2019 08:15 pm
@InfraBlue,
Your characterization of Israel's very existence as oppression is outrageous.

As far as free speech goes, American voters just don't like neonazis. Moderate Democrats are right to want to purge these evil elements from their party.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2019 08:16 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Funny that he doesn't even mention the public option. That would be one way to transition to a public insurance scheme with broad coverage.
All the public option did was provide competition to insurance companies. How would it work as a transition?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2019 08:18 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
This debate might be bad for the party but I think good for the country.
When moderates finally purge these leftist neonazis from the Democratic Party, that will be very good for the party.

revelette1 wrote:
the more this kind of blind loyalty to Israel to the extent where we leave Palestinians out in the cold has not been right for some time.
America's loyalty to Israel is not blind. We support Israel because they are indisputably the good guys.

The Palestinians are out in the cold for one reason only: they are murderous nutcases who refuse to ever make peace.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2019 08:19 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
On the other hand an honest new look needs to happen with Israel and Palestine and oppression of the Palestinian people.
There is no such oppression.

revelette1 wrote:
Also, if they are doing that kind of resolution I hope they include all religious hatred, including Islam/Arabs in all nations as well as anti-Semitism against the Jewish people of all nations and lastly Christians in all nations.
Likewise no one should ever say Black Lives Matter. Everyone should instead always say All Lives Matter.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2019 08:23 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
The murderous rightist thug who assassinated Rabin effectively destroyed any hope of detente and guaranteed the hardliners in the Likud political control of Israel.
Rabin's death was a great loss, but it did not destroy the left in Israeli politics. Ehud Barak was prime minister after Rabin's death.

What destroyed the left in Israeli politics is the fact that Palestinians refuse to ever make peace with Israel.

So long as the Palestinians offer nothing but death and destruction, Israeli voters are going to elect leaders who will protect them from this violence.

If the Palestinians ever decide to make peace with Israel, the left will immediately make a huge comeback there.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2019 02:27 am
Criticism of the policies of a country isn’t antisemitic. Israel’s policies and actions toward Palestinians are horrific. I think we all see that Israel’s responses to Palestinian violence began as self-preservation, but what no matter what the genuine reasons and precipitating factors, the reality on the ground is untenable.

Speaking out against that reality is not antisemitic.
The fact that s brown-skinned woman in a hijab is the one doing the speaking doesn’t change that fact.

Actually, calling her speech antisemitic IS anti-Muslim.

The effing DNC is lynching a Muslim for criticizing a country with horrific policies.

She never criticized Jews, and members of the GOP and Dem party are mischaracterizing her as though she did.

I’m shocked at how she’s being attacked. THIS VERY BEHAVIOR proves Omar’s point: Israel has too much pull in American government. Can you imagine a Congressional censure of a member because they criticized Australia, Germany, Saudi Arabia?

This is a free speech issue and a chilling example of anti-Muslim discrimination. I can’t believe what’s happening.

Antisemitic trope, my ass.