blatham

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 08:21 am
There's a very interesting review by David A Bell at the New York Review of Books. He looks at three books on the subject of "liberalism", it's history and manifestations in (particularly) the western world. Highly recommended.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 08:25 am
@blatham,
bwahahaha

such a meanboi Wink
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 08:33 am
@blatham,
Have you noticed you can never make a logical, evidenced-based argument—you must always resort to attacking the messenger?

You’ve lost.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 09:18 am
@blatham,
Of course. There are so many levels of corruption that it's necessary to hold the feet to the fire of the people responsible for instituting the changes or else replace them with others who will. Some are pushing for a constitutional amendment to change the companies are people ruling. I don't know if there is another way of doing it, short of waiting however many years to replace the Supremes. People who are beholden to the Kochs, insurance companies, big pharma and fossil fuels, cannot be trusted to do much about it.
maporsche

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 09:47 am
@blatham,
I've never even heard of David Brock. Who can possibly care, and why?

He's apparently a influencer in the Democratic party that I get my marching orders from? Silly.
Lash

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 10:01 am
Yeah. Do you know the name of the Russian bots that ‘influenced the election’?
Ignorance isn’t a valid argument, so you may as well step off.
—————————

Meanwhile, it looks more and more that Trump will be primaried.

https://truthout.org/articles/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-2020-democratic-primary-changes/

What You Need to Know About the 2020 Democratic Primary Changes
coldjoint

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 10:01 am
Quote:
Ocasio-Cortez confronted over support for Women's March amid anti-Semitism scandal. Her response says it all.

Quote:
"Why are you standing with people who openly support Hamas, a terrorist organization that kills Jewish people?" Loomer asked as Ocasio-Cortez walked past her.

Ocasio-Cortez did not answer.

Is hate for Jews now a progressive thing?
https://www.theblaze.com/news/ocasio-cortez-confronted-over-support-for-womens-march-amid-anti-semitism-scandal-her-response-says-it-all
Lash

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 10:06 am
@coldjoint,
I’ll bite, but be prepared to define ‘standing with’ and provide specific proof of ‘openly support Hamas’.
maporsche

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 10:09 am
A new one whenever one is "needed"...

https://images-na.ssl-images-
amazon.com/images/I/51VzDvUG4rL._SY445_.jpg
coldjoint

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 10:16 am
@Lash,
Quote:
define ‘standing with’ and provide specific proof of ‘openly support Hamas’.

"Standing with" is support.
Quote:
Tamika Mallory Just Denied Israel the Right to Exist

https://clarionproject.org/did-tamika-mallory-deny-jews-right-to-exist/
Lash

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 10:17 am
https://www.salon.com/2019/01/19/killer-mike-on-america-weve-failed-but-we-can-change-it/

The Big Man has a gig on Netflix!

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 10:25 am
@coldjoint,
There are so many ways to support someone: morally, physically, financially, theoretically...

Please clarify in what exact way does AOC support people who support Hamas. Then, please bring evidence of that precise support. I will believe you if you can do this, but you may not be proving what you think you are.

If AOC showed at the rally organized by a chick who refused to disavow Farrakhan’s anti-semitism, although that chick bugs the hell out of me, it’s just not enough to damn the marchers.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 10:41 am
@Lash,
Quote:
, it’s just not enough to damn the marchers.

Then you are employing a double standard. If the same situation applied to a Trump supporter it would be all over and roundly condemned as hateful and support of that hate. You know that, right?
Lash

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 11:08 am
@coldjoint,
Actually, I don’t think I came out of the gate broad-brushing every person who protested in Charlottesville. We can go check my comments, but before that party got started, I assumed there were some racists mixed in with some people who just didn’t want their statues torn down.

Of course, imaging I had innocently attended that gathering, once I saw Nazi gear, saw violence, and heard racial slurs, I’d have known I didn’t belong in that group and made tracks.

Were any anti-Semitic signs, slogans or symbols present at that Women’s march?
Lash

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 11:12 am
@Lash,
Yeah, cj, I defended speech. No hypocrisy here, but it is skulking all around...
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 11:20 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Were any anti-Semitic signs, slogans or symbols present at that Women’s march?

No, they will not openly show their hate for Jews. Nazis are honest compared to this group. Linda Sarsour was at the march. She is a sign and a huge symbol of hate for the Jews.
blatham

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 11:40 am
@edgarblythe,
An amendment would be delicious. But given the necessary supermajority needed in both houses, something big has to happen first in order to set up that level of Dem power (I trust no one is under the ahistorical and idiotic illusion that some 3rd party will manage to achieve this). So it's peoples' movements which look to be the only route there.

And any such movement, if and when it reaches some point of significant cohesion and popularity, will immediately be subject to attacks overt and covert to bust it up, to set groups within it against each other, to cause anger, havoc, dissatisfaction and doubt. These are the fundamental PR/propaganda weapons that will be brought to bear. Any many of the big money organizations that fall under the Koch umbrella are exceedingly bright and experienced in techniques on manipulation of consensus in any given population, thereby spreading/increasing such disaffection. For example, if someone says or writes that "the Women's March is replete with , or being torn apart by, anti-Semitism", that person very likely ain't your or my friend.
Lash

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 11:44 am
@coldjoint,
I understand that that’s your opinion, but to convince others requires evidence.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 11:48 am
Nationalists are trying to strongarm the anti-austerity Yellow Vest movement in France from the people who started it. The presence of the nationalists wouldn’t make me paint the legitimate protesters with a nationalist brush.

Things aren’t as simplistic as some would have us believe.

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 11:51 am
@maporsche,
I've been somewhat familiar with Brock for a long time. I recall, though dimly, his participation in right wing propaganda targeting Anita Hill and in constant right wing attacks on the Clintons (Troopergate, cocaine, murder etc). He was a bad actor of a type too familiar within right wing politics over the last half century. Then, one afternoon, on the road to Damascus....

He figured out he was on the morally wrong side of the equation. He's the chap who set up Media Matters which has been a uniquely valuable operation tracking right wing media. When he turned and set up MM, he immediately became a target of right wing attacks and bile (frequent Bill O'Reilly/Limbaugh target, for example). I can't say I know much about the super PACs he has since been involved with.

He ain't the enemy of the left. Deep skepticism of anyone who portrays him that way is warranted.