hightor

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 03:52 am
@coldjoint,
Quote:
Is that picture your version shock and awe?

Well I hope it didn't shock you, poor fellow. It's put there because it provides context. The results of sea level rise will be very costly to deal with, probably eclipsing the enormous amounts countries spend on their military forces.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 05:26 am
Tulsi, #AOC, and each of the new progressive women have been appointed to the Wall Street committee (Financial)

I’m concerned this is part of a plan.

Who’s going to get busted, the women or the dirty business they encounter?

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) is slated to join the committee leading the House's oversight of U.S banks, lenders and financial markets.

Ocasio-Cortez has been recommended by Democratic leaders for a spot on the House Financial Services Committee, a Democratic source told The Hill on Tuesday. The full roster of Democrats joining the committee is expected to be released as soon as Tuesday night.

Ocasio-Cortez told Hill.TV in November that she has expressed interest in the Financial Services panel to the Democratic Steering and Policy Committee, which doles out seats on House committees. Politico reported last week that Ocasio-Cortez was "poised to win" a spot on the Financial Services panel.

Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.), chairwoman of the House Financial Services Committee, has pledged to fight against the Trump administration's rollbacks of post-crisis bank rules. The assignment will give the influential Democratic freshman an powerful perch to push her party toward the left on critical financial issues.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/policy/finance/425551-ocasio-cortez-to-join-house-panel-overseeing-financial-sector%3famp
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 07:24 am
@Lash,
That person just about has to be a paid shill for the military/industrial crowd.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 07:25 am
@hightor,
So far you are right. They have to be shamed into correcting themselves.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 09:38 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
That person just about has to be a paid shill for the military/industrial crowd.

Sure edgar. If thinking that helps you explain away any reasonable objections to your bitch and complain festival over here then by all means, delude yourself further.

OR

MAYBE

Engage in a discussion on why your way is better. Convince me. Maybe you'll stand a chance of convincing people even further towards the center than me or *gasp* maybe even people to the right of center.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 11:09 am
https://scontent.fhou1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/49393585_2220963604899724_8807004549832245248_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent.fhou1-1.fna&oh=2e6ddbe2dab8505084a2c463a00316f9&oe=5CCA2B0E
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 11:12 am
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 11:21 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
We write blank checks for war.

This is bad policy. If wars need to be fought, they should have clear objectives so that we're not left with the quagmire that we've been left with for almost 20 years.

Also, there should be supplemental "war-tax" to pay for these.

Quote:
We just wrote a $2 trillion check for the GOP tax cut.

Yes, we did. It's horrible. DEMOCRATS complained to the heavens about it, but because not enough people voted for Democrats, there was nothing they could do.

Quote:
And nobody asks how are we going to pay for it.

Well, that's just not true. Democrats asked repeatedly, and Republicans just didn't care.

Quote:
My question is why are our pockets empty when it comes to education and healthcare for our kids. Why are our pockets only empty when we talk about 100% renewable energy that is going to save this planet and allow our children to thrive

Well, only Republicans think our pockets are empty. Democrats are more than willing to raise taxes to pay for it. Just tell me what taxes you're looking to raise AOC and I'll probably be right on board with you.

Give me details and let's have a real policy discussion. Can't fit that in to 260 characters though.

Quote:
We only have empty pockets when it comes to the morally right things to do. When it comes to tax cuts for billionaires or unlimited war, we seem to be able to invent that money very easily.

It IS WRONG to "invent" money for tax cuts and unlimited war. All of us (except Republicans) can agree on that.

It IS WRONG to "invent" money for healthcare and education and renewable energy too. Raise taxes, cut loopholes, reallocate funding, etc, and let's get these things done...but you're going to have to show me how you plan to do it before I get on fully on-board.
Real Music

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 11:34 am
@maporsche,
I agree with all the points you have made here in your last post.

Excellent points.

Each of the points you made in your last post are precise and accurate.
maporsche

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 11:39 am
@edgarblythe,
A lot of media is and was asking where the money would come for the tax cuts too.

https://www.google.com/search?q=paying+for+trump+tax+cuts&rlz=1C1EKKP_enUS805US805&oq=paying+for+trump+tax+cuts&aqs=chrome..69i57.5800j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 11:39 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
If wars need to be fought, they should have clear objectives so that we're not left with the quagmire that we've been left with for almost 20 years.
What do you think the objectives should be (or should have been) in the war on terror?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 11:41 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

I agree with all the points you have made here in your last post.

Excellent points.

Each of the points you made in your last post are precise and accurate.

The person has been so rude in past encounters I make it a point to never read anything posted and I collapse posts that quote the person's words. Been doing that for months.
maporsche

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 11:46 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

The person has been so rude in past encounters I make it a point to never read anything posted and I collapse posts that quote the person's words. Been doing that for months.

As you keep on sharing and reminding people, over, and over, and over.

I'm not going to stop telling people when you're wrong edgar. It's ok with me if you don't like to explain why you're right. It doesn't help you achieve any of your goals though, just so you know.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 01:19 pm
@maporsche,
Right on.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 01:28 pm
Senate Democrats not cosponsoring S.97; to allow for the importation of safe and affordable medications:

Bennet
Cardin
Carper
Cortez Masto
Coons
Duckworth
Durbin
Feinstein
Hirono
Jones
Kaine
Markey
Menendez
Murphy
Murray
Peters
Rosen
Schatz
Schumer
Sinema
Tester
Warner
Wyden
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 01:30 pm
Elizabeth Warren
@SenWarren
·
17m
Puerto Rico receives far less Medicaid funding than states, hurting fellow US citizens. I've offered legislation to provide Medicaid parity to PR & other US territories, & called for hearings on the challenges facing PR's health system. This can't wait.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 01:39 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

maporsche wrote:
If wars need to be fought, they should have clear objectives so that we're not left with the quagmire that we've been left with for almost 20 years.
What do you think the objectives should be (or should have been) in the war on terror?

I don't know. I'm not the expert.

What I would like to see are the experts making a compelling case to the public, detailing what they think the goals should be, their strategies to achieve those goals, and ongoing progress reports on how we're doing.

Nothing classified or anything. I don't need troop deployments. I just want to know what the goals are, what are the specifics that would detail a "success" and how we are doing towards those goals.

From that, I feel like I could form an opinion if I support the effort or not, how much I think is worth it to fund that effort, and if could see if it's working.
maporsche

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 01:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
I wish you'd start providing links.

As it stands, I don't believe anything you post actually means what you say it does.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 01:41 pm
When somebody crosses the line I don't give them another chance.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 01:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Senate Democrats not cosponsoring S.97

Wait?.... you're mad that they are not COSPONSORING a piece of legislation.

This isn't even a vote or any pronounced opposition?

The hell is wrong with you people?