cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2019 08:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
Good ideas and intentions are often changed once they become a politician. That's the reason our government is made up of all different "stripes" of people on the left, center, and right. Even my political affiliation changed during my lifetime, from a staunch democrat to republican to independent.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2019 08:41 pm
Julian Castro looks interesting. He's certainly talking the talk right now - and has some solid supporters.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2019 08:43 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I gave up on Republicans in the 70s and became an independent in 2016.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2019 08:44 pm
@ehBeth,
I haven't read enough about Castro to have an opinion.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2019 08:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
He’d probably have to pick some establishment type. I wish he’d pick Ro Khanna, Tulsi, maybe Warren, but I never knew how hard she is to listen to...until lately. CA Gov Jerry Brown doesn’t seem half bad.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2019 09:27 pm
@Lash,
Brown ran for president in the past. He made some honest statements that had me pulling for him. I like him more today and I think he would be good as VP.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2019 09:33 pm
I sort of felt warm to Tulsi, but have cooled quite a bit.
Lash

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2019 09:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
My progressive friends are mixed on Tulsi, but the ones I respect the most are suggesting we should give her a fair hearing re the questionable and ‘alleged’ issues.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2019 09:54 pm
@Lash,
Some of the issues she is being tagged with are ones she since renounced. Her foreign policy ideas nag at me.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2019 09:56 pm
Fingers crossed...

https://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/article224082770.html

POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Bernie Sanders is coming to Columbia for Martin Luther King Day rally
I’m going!
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2019 10:11 pm
@Lash,
The announcer on live TV said Bernie is expected to announce soon, five minutes ago. I hope they are right.
Lash

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2019 10:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
It is going to be a wild ride.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2019 10:44 pm
@Lash,
I think both parties are going to be fighting it out among themselves this time.
Lash

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2019 05:20 am
@edgarblythe,
I can’t imagine that some R won’t oppose him. What are the odds, in your opinion?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2019 07:54 am
@Lash,
I wonder if a Trump opponent will be shunted to the side or actually make waves. The media loves Trump, no matter what they say to the contrary. A successful interloper might not be welcome on the gravy train.
hightor

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2019 08:54 am
@edgarblythe,
There was talk of changing the rules:
Quote:
Some members of the Republican National Committee and grassroots Republicans are backing an effort to block potential primary challengers to President Trump, even though party insiders are insisting it is too late to change the rules for the 2020 campaign.

The push to rally GOP support around the president early comes as freshman Republican Sen. Mitt Romney of Utah published a Washington Post op-ed arguing that on issues of character, "the president has not risen to the mantle of the office." The 2012 GOP nominee also said he would not run himself in 2020 and declined to endorse Trump, in an interview with CNN.

Responding to the Romney op-ed, Republican National Committee member Jevon Williams called for a change in RNC rules to prevent a costly primary challenge, which he deemed a "fantasy" that would weaken Trump's re-election prospects.

"I am asking for your support to take the unprecedented step of amending the rules to close loopholes in the re-nomination campaign," wrote Williams in a letter to fellow RNC members, first reported by The Washington Examiner and obtained by NPR.

npr

I think any Republican opposition to Trump will get a free ticket on the gravy train. It's news. And better than that, it's news about Trump.

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2019 09:18 am
@hightor,
Only to the extent it won't interfere with a Trump second term, perhaps?
hightor

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2019 09:27 am
@edgarblythe,
Thing is with Trump, win or lose he's in the news. If he doesn't get the nomination (which is hard to imagine) he could run as an independent on the MAGA ticket. And there will be threats of lawsuits, charges of fraud, and everything else we've come to expect from a good Trump **** show.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2019 09:34 am
One thing for sure - Republicans think they own the government and feel outraged when anyone challenges that.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2019 10:32 am
It’s Not a Government Shutdown. It’s a Right-Wing Coup.
Programs designed to help the vulnerable are gutted, while institutions designed to serve the rich and powerful remain unscathed.
By Adam H. Johnson
https://www.thenation.com/article/its-not-a-government-shutdown-its-a-right-wing-coup/?fbclid=IwAR3lL5MmQSyDO6kmsllodT5haFlkzk_22Sr24cXnch33P5-EGKjjYTslNGk
0 Replies