revelette1

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2018 03:15 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
Clinton could have ran a shitty campaign and still won the WH if people took the Trump presidency seriously.

True but "she had to earn their vote." The price was not worth the sentiment.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2018 04:46 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

But when the rubber hits the road it was non enough people casting their ballot for her that got us Trump. That’s citizens voting who made this choice either through heir actions or inactions.

Given the jacked-up electoral system of the US, it's not that not enough people voted, it's that not enough people in certain areas of the country didn't vote. Distributed strategically, those three million or so more votes that Clinton won over Trump would have seen her through the presidency.
maporsche

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2018 04:48 pm
@InfraBlue,
That of course is also true.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2018 05:53 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
That of course is also true.

No that is unconstitutional. The decision rests with the EC. Amend the Constitution or just let it go.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2018 06:18 pm
I don't buy blaming the voters. She wasted time in Florida, and Mr. Obama's considerable political capital in Florida, when she didn't have a hope in hell of winning that state. It was piss poor campaign planning. She took for granted states that Mr. Obama had won in the past, and didn't bother with them. Had she spent some time in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, and had she asked Mr. Obama to get out the vote there, she'd be in the White House today (shudder).
Lash

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2018 06:58 pm
@revelette1,
The price for the politician is ALWAYS worth the sentiment of THE PEOPLE.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2018 09:00 pm
Al Jazeera English
·
US jurors unanimously found that Monsanto acted with malice and that its weed killers Roundup and the professional grade version RangerPro contributed "substantially" to Dewayne Johnson's terminal illness.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2018 10:15 pm
@Setanta,
Elections are won by votes.

Voters vote.

It’s not complicated. Voters deserve some of the blame. We can argue about how much, but it’s actual people people (not campaign stops, or TV ads) who decide elections.

All the campaigning does is try to convince these idiots to show up, but whether they show up is he responsibility of the voter not the candidate.

Those who did show up but cast a protest vote for Stein deserve scorn and all the ill that this presidency gives to them.
Real Music

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2018 10:32 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
Those who did show up but cast a protest vote for Stein deserve scorn and all the ill that this presidency gives to them.

AGREED Smile
maporsche

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2018 10:40 pm
@Real Music,
I turned 18 in late 1997 and couldn’t cast my first vote for president until Gore in 2000. I keep thinking back to all those fools who voted for George Bush twice and let him ruin the economy for a generation then those fools who couldn’t show up for midterms during Obama’s presidency. Then those scummy Stein voters.

I guess what I’ve learned over the 20 years I’ve been watching politics is that Americans can always surprise you with their choices and the knots they tie themselves up in to avoid taking responsibility for their choices.
Real Music

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2018 10:44 pm
@maporsche,
Yes, every one of us are accountable for our votes.
Every vote has consequences.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2018 12:14 am
@maporsche,
I disagree, as I'm sure you already know.
Lash

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2018 04:39 am
@maporsche,
Shoulda voted for the honest candidate who is responsive to the needs of the people instead of the one who committed election fraud.
revelette1

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2018 05:31 am
@Lash,
Once the primary was over, those Bernie or busters might have considered what a republican in the WH would mean in terms of the Supreme Court, it was a critical time and then made a practical smart decision to hold their noses and vote for the last democrat standing for the good of the country. Moreover, considering who the republican was after the primary was over, a Trump in the WH made the situation all the more critical. I think it was a protest vote at that time in history was a wasteful selfish vote, JMO.
revelette1

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2018 05:38 am
@Setanta,
I get what you are saying, Clinton ran a low energy campaign and should have concentrated more in the electoral college areas in the last few months. All kinds of things were working against her (the last minute Comey announcement was the worst), but she might have overcome them if she ran a smarter campaign. She won the popular vote but didn't concentrate on the issues and states you mentioned. The reason the popular vote gets mentioned is just to point out that she must not have been too hated. But she did lose some votes she should have won which would have made a difference.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2018 05:44 am
I think the Alexandria craze is starting to be a liability for the democrats in the mid-terms. I agree with some of her ideas, but she is a little extreme and careless of facts. I wish she would simmer down.

Fact-checking Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s media blitz (WP)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2018 06:40 am
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2018 09:31 am
@revelette1,
And it was completely Hillary Clinton’s fault Donald Trump was the Republican nominee.

People who reject the dirty system that elevated **** like Trump and Clinton kicked it in the ass. That’s what it got and it’s on a path to get another.

The democrats can either reform or lose again.

It’s patriotic to resist this lumbering blob of corruption instead of supporting it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2018 12:07 pm
The DNC flirted with banning fossil fuel donations. But they decided to let the money flood continue in the end.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2018 02:06 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
...all those fools who voted for George Bush twice...

It was an indication at the time (2000 & 2004), that, the Democrats were already on a narrow road. Gore was nominated primarily due to his being the Clinton follow-up. A common, and often times ridiculous way to do things; however, this idiocy has run on for years, within all political parties. Think of how different things would have been if George H. W. Busy had won in '92. Dan Quayle likely would have been the nominee.

At any rate, Al Gore was not a great candidate. I believe he would have been a lousy President. One term only. In 2004, the Dems put up John Kerry, another bad move.

These days it's getting more and more difficult to distinguish Republicans from Democrats as they both continue drifting to the right. A change, a big change is necessary or the country will truly be self-destructed.

As for your claim that George W. Bush ruined the economy, keep in mind some seeds of the ruin had been sown in the Clinton years.

Sign me,
Content with my voting record, including twice for George W. Bush (the only Republican Presidential candidate I ever selected). Also am a supporter of Bernie Sanders and the brand of progressive he is presenting.