livinglava

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2018 06:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I just read an article that claims 92% of college professors are liberal. As an Independent, I believe in many social programs while being a fiscal conservative.

"Liberal arts" used to be about training people to think independently but at some point it became about liberal indoctrination. Maybe the name should be changed to Independent Thought so people can be indoctrinated into that instead.
Quote:
That's because as children, our mother depended on welfare to provide four of us children with shelter and food. That program should continue as long as there is poverty in our country.

But the program administrators are counting on poverty to create jobs. That's why Keynsian's want low to moderate inflation; i.e. so people keep running out of money and needing assistance.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2018 08:28 pm
@livinglava,
Administrators do not need to "count on poverty to create jobs." The majority of single mothers will require government support to survive. I see nothing wrong with that policy. FACT: Billions of people around the world live in extreme poverty. Nearly 10 percent of the world's population. That's almost 1 billion people living below the World Bank poverty line of $1.90 per day. And almost half the world (nearly 4 billion people) lives with a household income below $2.50 a day.
Poverty Around the World - Compassion International
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2018 08:58 pm
http://patriotretort.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/AOC-the-dunce.jpg
http://patriotretort.com/diannys-ten-most-tiresome-people-of-2018/
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2018 11:36 pm
I have to admit I expected congress to fold on the wall issue by now. Not much else to say until somebody gives or explodes.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2018 11:45 pm
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez snaps back at Claire McCaskill for calling her a 'thing'

Published December 29, 2018
Quote:
Rep.-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., is showing yet again that she isn't one to shy away from snapping back at her critics, even if it's from a member of her own party.

In a recent CNN interview, outgoing Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., expressed confusion about why Ocasio-Cortez has become so popular among Democrats, saying, "I'm a little confused why she's the thing."

Ocasio-Cortez tweeted her dismay with that wording on Saturday.

"Not sure why fmr Sen. McCaskill keeps going on TV to call me a 'thing' and 'shiny object,' but it’s pretty disappointing," she said.

In that interview, McCaskill admitted she doesn't know Ocasio-Cortez personally but said the 29-year-old was a "good example" of a "bright shiny new object" that shocked the political world by defeating a very experienced Democratic congressman.

Ocasio-Cortez won against Democratic incumbent Rep. Joe Crowley in June during the primary race. She then beat her Republican opponent, Anthony Pappas, in the general election and will represent New York's 14th Congressional District in the next Congress.

Meanwhile, after more than a decade in the Senate, McCaskill lost her re-election bid to Republican Josh Hawley last month.

Ocasio-Cortez pinned that defeat on McCaskill's willingness to occasionally embrace President Trump in a state that Trump won overwhelmingly in 2016. "McCaskill promised she’d '100% back Trump up' on his anti-immigrant rhetoric & lost. In MO, almost all progressive ballot issues won," she said on Twitter.

The mention of successful liberal initiatives seemed to be a tacit comeback at McCaskill advising Ocasio-Cortez to be cautious in pushing liberal policies that impact Americans in parts of the country that are not receptive to the priorities of Democrats.

"I hope she also realizes that the parts of the country that are rejecting the Democratic Party, like a whole lot of white working class voters, need to hear about how their work is going to be respected, and the dignity of their jobs, and how we can really stick to issues that we can actually accomplish something on," McCaskill said. "The rhetoric is cheap. Getting results is a lot harder."

McCaskill isn't the only outgoing Democrat who cautioned against a hard-left agenda in the next Congress.

Indiana Sen. Joe Donnelly told CNN that Democrats will "start losing the people in my state" if "Medicare for all," an issue championed by Ocasio-Cortez, is sought after too zealously.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-snaps-back-at-claire-mccaskill-for-calling-her-a-thing/ar-BBRzCNu?ocid=UE13DHP
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2018 11:58 pm
I read that earlier. She is hands down my favorite politician.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 06:35 am
I love to see the changes in long term political business as usual because of the impact of Bernie Sanders and Our Revolution.

This is another step in the right direction because of how we handled 2016.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/2371271002

Excerpt:

In a break with past elections, when financiers fell in line behind favored candidates, the potentially crowded field for the Democratic nomination has driven some donors to sit tight rather than commit – even if that means putting old relationships on ice.

“I haven’t even started to think about 2020,” said Daniel Berger, a Philadelphia lawyer who backed President Barack Obama’s campaigns. He was an early supporter of Hillary Clinton’s 2016 bid but isn’t aligning himself with former Vice President Joe Biden – or anyone else – as a possible candidate.

“Call me back in 45 days,” he said.

Early jockeying among Democrats for the opportunity to take on President Donald Trump in 2020 is well underway, including donor meetings across the country, contributors told USA TODAY. But the unwieldy number of would-be candidates is reshuffling the race for cash and forcing some donors to rethink alliances.

Democratic donor Marc Stanley, a Dallas attorney, created a super PAC during the midterm election that spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to boost Rep. Beto O’Rourke’s progressive Senate bid in Texas. But as he looks ahead to the presidential race, he isn’t necessarily committing to an O’Rourke campaign for the White House.

Instead, Stanley said he’s primarily focused on winning.

“This isn’t about the shiniest penny,” he said. “We’ve got to focus in early and pick the candidate who can help evict Donald Trump."

O’Rourke raised more than $80 million in his unsuccessful campaign to unseat Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, sparking talk of a presidential campaign before the polls closed.

Several prominent Democratic donors and bundlers told USA TODAY they are eager to focus the field and avoid the drawn-out conflict both parties endured in 2016. But many also acknowledged no candidate has emerged with a lock on the party's prolific donors.

That's prompting some donors to sit tight. A spokesman for liberal donor George Soros told CNBC that the billionaire may not pick a candidate in the primary. That would represent a departure from 2016, when he gave more than $300,000 to Hillary Clinton.

“I’m going to wait a bit just to see how it begins to shape up,” said Dick Rosenthal, a Cincinnati philanthropist who bundled contributions for Clinton. “My involvement won’t happen to any degree until there is a clear, leading candidate."

Roughly three dozen Democrats are considering a run for president in 2020, including Sen. Elizabeth Warren, who raised more than $35 million for her re-election this year in Massachusetts. Sens. Kamala Harris of California and Cory Booker of New Jersey, who are also considering a run, raised millions in 2018 despite not facing election.

Adding to the uncertainty for donors is the weight campaigns are increasingly giving to small-dollar donations, which propelled Trump in the general election and extended Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders’ primary campaign against Clinton. That dynamic might benefit lesser-known candidates who don't have deep-pocketed donors backing them.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 06:38 am
I LOVE the idea of big donors staying out until the people make their choice in the primary.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 07:25 am
@Lash,
If only.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 07:55 am
Bill Maher
·
Why can’t Democrats learn to do what Republicans do and just repeat 1 point that seals your case, as: “You said Mexico would pay for the wall”...just say that 1 thing and nothing else till this mess is over! What else needs to be said?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 05:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
eb, As most of us know, what humans believe in religion or politics is the mystery of human psychology. From my observation, I have concluded that both are the result of country, culture or family, and most follow its precedence, so I call it "the accident of birth." According to some studies, only around 7% of the world population are atheists, and I'm one of them. Independents are 42% in this country. I believe Trump has influenced many to change their political affiliation. "Jan 8, 2018 - Independent identification is just one percentage point below the high of 43% in 2014."
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 05:25 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez snaps back at Claire McCaskill for calling her a 'thing'

Was it a reference to the Addams Family?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 05:30 pm
But in congress it is Democrats and Republicans calling the shots how to deal with the idiot president.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 05:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
the idiot president.

One more time, no idiot wins the office of president. Shills do, Obama proved that. Trump is not a shill or an idiot .
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 05:54 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:

One more time, no idiot wins the office of president. Shills do, Obama proved that. Trump is not a shill or an idiot .
I guess you didn't hear that all of our intelligence agencies have determined that Russia intruded into our elections for Trump to win.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 06:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
all of our intelligence agencies have determined

The ones Obama politicized to do his bidding. Sure thing.
livinglava

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 08:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Quote:

I guess you didn't hear that all of our intelligence agencies have determined that Russia intruded into our elections for Trump to win.

Did you look at the propaganda they created? It was just free speech.

Do you think this will lead to laws allowing censorship (suspension of 1st amendment) for information coming from outside the US?

Will that be constitutional?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 08:31 pm
@livinglava,
I guess the concept of Russian interference in our elections is too difficult for you to understand. https://swalwell.house.gov/issues/russia-2016-us-election-interference
coldjoint

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 08:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
concept of Russian interference in our elections

The concept that the interference is something new is laughable. They have interfered since Communism was installed.
hightor

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2018 03:29 am
@coldjoint,
Quote:
The ones Obama politicized to do his bidding.

Identification of criminal behavior and prosecution of those who willfully and deceitfully violate our laws does not represent "politicization" of the justice system.

The Nunes memo was shown to be meaningless.
0 Replies