to come of as oppressive

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2018 06:34 pm
There are two questions here:

(1) Please confirm me: I believe that "to come of as oppressive" is the misspelling of "to come off as oppressive."

(2) Is the word "when" used properly here? Is there a better word to substitute it?

coldjoint wrote:

You know they want these arrests to make the government under Trump to come of as oppressive and, wait for it, Nazi like when these people are not arrested for protesting they are arrested because they break the law.

The media will help conflate the coming narrative, the same old narrative.

Source

PS
The reason that I don't PM the author is that the questions appear to be obvious to general native English speakers. Posting it publicly helps learn English.

Thanks in anticipation

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
oralloy
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2018 07:21 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
(1) Please confirm me: I believe that "to come of as oppressive" is the misspelling of "to come off as oppressive."
I believe that is correct. "Come off as ____" is a common idiom. It means how people appear to others.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/come%20off%20as

oristarA wrote:
(2) Is the word "when" used properly here? Is there a better word to substitute it?
How about:

You know they want these arrests to make the government under Trump to come off as oppressive and, wait for it, Nazi like, when the truth is these people are not arrested for protesting. They are arrested because they break the law.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2018 07:51 pm
Thank you.
0 Replies