Capital Punishment and the Bible(particularly New Testament)

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 11:57 am
I dunno, you might be, why ask me?
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 12:36 pm
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Please...anyone tell me(atheist or creationist) that there is something/someone that they love so much that they would not die for it.

No human, and I believe that includes you, would not try to save his own hide in the process. To me your comments are just throwing words around that show arrogance not love.

I don't think that anyone really knows what they would or would not do until faced with an actual situation.
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 12:44 pm
headofthefield wrote:
Are you saying that we should follow your example steve? That would mean that you are above the rest of us. I probably am reading more into that than I should but that is what I got from it.

I think Steve is correct and you are dead wrong.

I do believe that I recall something from Sunday School classes that advised us to go into a closet to pray. To me those who flaunt their religion are as phony as the day is long.

I also believe that, with your haughty, know it all attitude, that you are the one placing yourself "above the rest of us".

And you are dead wrong in assuming that because a person does not buy all the gibberish posted here that they must be athiest. I consider myself agnostic but certainly with atheist leanings ........... Prove it and I'll believe it.

The Bible proves nothing to me.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 12:45 pm
Maggs, Amen to that! Some people are all talk and no action. Some others are no talk and all action. Wink
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 01:08 pm
I think its rather funny that someone who wishes to be known as headofthefield accuses me of superiority.

But yes I do say follow my example, and shut the **** up.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 01:14 pm
I have reconsidered my last post and wish to apologise for any misunderstanding.

I meant be quiet about things you cannot know.

Any insult was deliberate.
0 Replies

headofthefield

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 01:21 pm
First of all my name is sports related. Second flaunting your religion is wrong, I agree. you should only preach not force or show off. It is my job to disciple not to judge. Clearly from admitting to being and agnostic with atheist leanings I was right to an extent. I don't know what SUNDAY SCHOOL you went to but mine doesn't tell me to go into a closet and pray. That just seems wierd to me(or catholic).
0 Replies

headofthefield

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 01:23 pm
Maybe if you read the bible without judging everything in it you would let it prove something.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 01:24 pm
To get this back on topic....
The bible can be use to validate just about anything.

So from the standpoint of the bible and the death penalty; some are more than happy to use the bible to give them the power to put others to death and others will fight tooth and nail against the death penalty based on the bible.

The bible is the most abused book in the world because it is the most published book in the world. Everyone uses it to justify their own viewpoint when given the chance.
0 Replies

headofthefield

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 01:27 pm
Parados, you are right about the abuse. Many who "claim" to be christians don't follow the basic foundations but yet hold themselves in high reguards.
0 Replies

headofthefield

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 01:28 pm
thanks for trying to redirect the topic.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 01:29 pm
head,
When we can't even agree on the "basic foundations", who can decide what is the "claim" of christianity?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 01:30 pm
If you attempt to stick to the new testament. Christ seems to be pretty much against killing of any kind. I don't know of any instance where he supports it but several where he attempts to or does prevent violence.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 01:32 pm
parados wrote:
To get this back on topic....
The bible can be use to validate just about anything.

So from the standpoint of the bible and the death penalty; some are more than happy to use the bible to give them the power to put others to death and others will fight tooth and nail against the death penalty based on the bible.

The bible is the most abused book in the world because it is the most published book in the world. Everyone uses it to justify their own viewpoint when given the chance.
I agree, lots of things in the bible can be contorted and made to say pretty much whatever they want.
0 Replies

headofthefield

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 01:34 pm
Yes but when he says that he is placed on the earth to do his father's will he refers back to the old test. He also is saying that senseless violence is wrong such as murder.
0 Replies

headofthefield

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 01:35 pm
What is the basic foundation to you.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 01:42 pm
So when Christ prevents the stoning of the adulterer is he preventing senseless violence?

How do you want to spin it? Was it only that adultry shouldn't be a death penalty case? Or was he against all death penalties? Or was he fine with killing an adulterer, he just didn't want to be there and answer questions about it?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 01:57 pm
The basic foundation of Christianity as with most religions is morality. To me it is based on the ethics of the golden rule.

Do unto others...
Love thy neighbor...

The teachings of Christ are filled with allegories. All seem to point to this. It becomes too easy to change it when you start to try to take it literally.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 01:58 pm
Parados wrote

"Christ seems to be pretty much against killing of any kind."

That Parados is because Christ was Jewish. Moses (remember him) gave the Israelites 10 (ten) Commandments.

And Christ, familiar with the Jewish law, was able to recall number six, viz :-

VI. Thou shalt not kill.

That Christ should be "pretty much against killing" should come as no surprise to anyone with the slightest knowledge of Jewish or Christian tradition.
0 Replies

headofthefield

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 02:14 pm
There it is you take that one commandment out of context. To me that means senseless murder. The lady who was an adultress committed a crime and I don't think it was punishable by death. It says that if one takes the life of another their life should be taken at that instant. That is the problem with our capital punishment system. It takes too long. And people my never make it.
0 Replies