Capital Punishment and the Bible(particularly New Testament)

Eorl

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 09:42 pm
Firstly, thankyou very much antibuddha, I appreciate the compliment.

Quote:
Finally... agreement gets so tiresome after a while.

Unfortunately I agree with nearly everything in this post. We only disagree about death itself. To clarify, I don't really see death as brutal per se, what I am absolutely appalled by is the loss of life. Every life to me is an amazing and wonderful thing, even in things I am afraid of like snakes or sociopaths. :wink: I think it is a shame when a tsunami kills someone, but I think it is an absolute travesty when someone deliberatley takes someone elses life (even if they the courts authority to do it).

Quote:
Oh, and conversly, I would help my friend to die if he chose to, although I'd be very annoyed at him for asking.

Why?

Why would I do it or why would I be annoyed?
I would do it because it's his choice and his life to do with as he pleases, and I would help a friend in this position.
I would be annoyed because of the lifelong effect it would have on me, my freind better have considered this and I hope coming to me for help was his absolute last resort!
Also, I think the enormous value I place on life would make me never give it up no matter how much I suffered (I am sure I don't ever want to put that to the test however) Sad
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 02:48 am
Eorl wrote:
Unfortunately I agree with nearly everything in this post.

I have lots of controversial opinions. What say you at some point I'll scroll through them until you can find one you dislike? Wink

Quote:
We only disagree about death itself. To clarify, I don't really see death as brutal per se, what I am absolutely appalled by is the loss of life.

Life is only important for what it can used for. Once those capacities are gone the actual life itself may as well end. I don't believe in treasuring it for its own sake.

Quote:
Every life to me is an amazing and wonderful thing, even in things I am afraid of like snakes or sociopaths. :wink:

Hehe, subtle. I like it.

Quote:
I think it is a shame when a tsunami kills someone, but I think it is an absolute travesty when someone deliberatley takes someone elses life (even if they the courts authority to do it).

Oh... I find it pretty much irrelevant when it comes to how sad it is. It only becomes relevant when contemplating how to prevent its reoccurence. Man I can really be a pragmatic materialist sometimes, can't I?

Quote:
Also, I think the enormous value I place on life would make me never give it up no matter how much I suffered (I am sure I don't ever want to put that to the test however) Sad

I place zero value on it. Still I have a few things I'd like to do still while I've got a chance and death would seriously screw up some of my plans.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 11:34 am
Does the government have the right to take something that it cannot give back?

theantibuddah wrote:
I place zero value on it. Still I have a few things I'd like to do still while I've got a chance and death would seriously screw up some of my plans.

You place zero value on life?! How come...when it is really the only thing you actually own?
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 09:40 pm
thunder_runner32 wrote:
How come...when it is really the only thing you actually own?

I'm all for poetry and neat sounding expressions but don't take it too far. No distortion of the meaning of the term ownership can neatly twist it so it only covers life.

Even if it did, let's just say I'm not possessive Wink
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 07:13 am
What I was trying to say, by "own", is that we can think we posess stuff on earth...but they are just material things, and they will be given up when we die anyways. Wink
0 Replies

yelloworld

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 11:24 pm
Thou shalt not commit murder.

Nuff said
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 10:55 pm
thunder_runner32 wrote:
What I was trying to say, by "own", is that we can think we posess stuff on earth...but they are just material things, and they will be given up when we die anyways. Wink

We give up our life as well when we die. That definition doesn't fit either Wink
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 11:42 pm
Good grammar? Quote, " What say you at some point I'll scroll through them until you can find one you dislike?"
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 12:07 am
Interesting... I can't delete this post.

It was irrelevant to the discussion, please disregard it. Any moderators who see this with enough free time are welcome to delete this post.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 11:32 am
antibuddah wrote:
We give up our life as well when we die. That definition doesn't fit either

Good point. What I'm trying to say is that the only thing we really can call our own is our lives.

yelloworld wrote:
Thou shalt not commit murder. Nuff said

Actually the bible actually specifically says that capital punishment is fine(in the old testament)

Could we get back to the original question? Smile If you want to squabble over things that don't pertain to this thread at all, please take your other business elsewhere.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 12:26 pm
If you can't take the heat, quit dishing it out. I'll do the same.
0 Replies

vol fan06

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 05:09 pm
well like thunder said on the last page lets get back to the topic. he asked what the bible said about it not what we think. but if we are to look in the bible we really need to look at the whole thing. In Genesis 9:6 it says "Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed; for in the image of God has God made man. So with that said I see nothing wrong with Capital Punishment. and anyways when the person commits the crime he more than likely knows what the punishment is for such a crime.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 05:17 pm
But the man hitting the switch to gas, drug, or hang that criminal is killing a man he has no qualms with.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 05:31 pm
I don't see why he should if he is just carrying out god's will. This of course assumes that one accepts the bible, which I don't, but which is the basis of this thread.
0 Replies

vol fan06

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 05:33 pm
there are consequences for all of our actions and in the bible(which is where this topic wanted answers from) it says murder is wrong and it says what the consequences are for murder.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 06:00 pm
If I'm not mistaken, one of the ten is "Thous shalt not kill." But it might also say, except when "I" say it's okay.
0 Replies

vol fan06

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 06:02 pm
what does that last sentence in your post mean?
0 Replies

headofthefield

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 07:32 pm
Ok, imposter your comment able the ten commandments is completely off base. The idea about that commandment is clearly explained throught-out the rest of the bible. I recommend reading Leviticus.
0 Replies

headofthefield

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 07:35 pm
That is the problem with someone responding to a forum like this. If you don't know the bible you will have trouble with debating. Then if you do you need to stop reading out of context.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 08:25 pm
Capital punishment is to do with law. The bible has absolutley nothing to do with the law so they have nothing to do with each other. (Unless you're talking about the history of capital punishment, the bible has plenty of that rubbish)
0 Replies