Capital Punishment and the Bible(particularly New Testament)

Biliskner

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 06:46 pm
parados wrote:
Bili,
Quote:
non-Christians trying to interpret Christian ... how do they say it .... "holy Scriptures".

funny.

I agree after watching your tortured rants to reinvent the scripture.

It is the height of arrogance to claim you are the one that knows the mind of God vs anyone else here. And I think we all know what the scriptures say about "pride"

Quote:
It's all about Jesus, teh OT and teh NT.

That's what the word "Christianity" means: Christ-ianity: Christ-follower.

I guess you missed my question about following Christ vs the OLD TESTAMENT. Christian means you would follow CHRIST. As I have asked repeatedly.. when did Christ come out for the death penalty. You can't use the old testament where it contradicts Christ if you are truly a Christian.

I say that a "true Christian" can't support the death penalty. What do you say? If you disagree with me support it with the words of Christ.

You should see the people jump up and down shooting the moon when some random suggested that a "religious person" should host the atheist soceity club at uni.

'nuff said.

question for you: how can you even attempt to understand the old or new testament if you're not a Christian? and why would you? this Book means nothing to you.

'too much said.
0 Replies

Biliskner

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 06:50 pm
dlowan wrote:
Biliskner wrote:
non-Christians trying to interpret Christian ... how do they say it .... "holy Scriptures".

funny.

Why?

What has belief or non-belief to do with interpretation of words on a page?

FACT:
the Scriptures in the OT AND NT are interpretable only by the Holy Spirit. You can only understand it if your eyes have been opened by the Holy Spirit meaning you actually pray for Jesus' help before you read it and after.
(haha, hey guys watch for the "you're so disillusioned i can't believe you believe this crap" replies to my above statement).

FACT:
But since you guys don't believe in no spiritual realm, this discussion is over.
0 Replies

Biliskner

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 06:55 pm
parados wrote:

I guess you missed my question about following Christ vs the OLD TESTAMENT.

VS? show me. then i'll answer your question.
(i want evidence, like a true scientist would. give me Bible verses and I'll context it for you.)
remember to pray.

parados wrote:

I say that a "true Christian" can't support the death penalty. What do you say? If you disagree with me support it with the words of Christ.

LOL. and where does your authority come from? why would i believe your definition of "true Christian" over millions that have come before you? lol...

the people in this forum are complaining about my rants being illogical and not understanable (which for the record means they're either really young of just hard headed 'cos i've never had that in other forums). give me specific questions and you'll get your answers.

and think like a scientist if you're not, write forum posts like an Arts student. evidence. quotes. references. you've seen mine from the Bible, you show me yours.
0 Replies

Biliskner

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 06:56 pm
headofthefield wrote:
I would pose this question. How do you have dialogue in a christian based debate when the people you debate with don't believe a word the bible says? There can't be a true spirital debate without the understanding of the bible and it's word.
Bil, I guess I put what you said about the Christians and non-Christians into a different statement. I agree though.

i fully expected all or 90% Christians in this thread attempting to have a fruitful discussion. what a stupid expectation eh?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 06:59 pm
Quote, "FACT:
the Scriptures in the OT AND NT are interpretable only by the Holy Spirit. You can only understand it if your eyes have been opened by the Holy Spirit meaning you actually pray for Jesus' help before you read it and after."
Excuse me while I leave the room so I can ROTFTLMAO.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 07:04 pm
Contradictions in the Bible

by : Shabir Ally
Al-Attique Int'l Islamic Publications

Who incited David to count the fighting men of Israel?

(a) God did (2 Samuel 24: 1)

(b) Satan did (I Chronicles 2 1:1)

In that count how many fighting men were found in Israel?

(a) Eight hundred thousand (2 Samuel 24:9)

(b) One million, one hundred thousand (IChronicles 21:5)

How many fighting men were found in Judah?

(a) Five hundred thousand (2 Samuel 24:9)

(b) Four hundred and seventy thousand (I Chronicles 21:5)

God sent his prophet to threaten David with how many years of famine?

(a) Seven (2 Samuel 24:13)

(b) Three (I Chronicles 21:12)

How old was Ahaziah when he began to rule over Jerusalem?

(a) Twenty-two (2 Kings 8:26)

(b) Forty-two (2 Chronicles 22:2)

How old was Jehoiachin when he became king of Jerusalem?

(a) Eighteen (2 Kings 24:8)

(b) Eight (2 Chronicles 36:9)

How long did he rule over Jerusalem?

(a) Three months (2 Kings 24:8)

(b) Three months and ten days (2 Chronicles 36:9)

The chief of the mighty men of David lifted up his spear and killed how many men at one time?

(a) Eight hundred (2 Samuel 23:8)

(b) Three hundred (I Chronicles 11: 11)

When did David bring the Ark of the Covenant to Jerusalem? Before defeating the Philistines or after?

(a) After (2 Samuel 5 and 6)

(b) Before (I Chronicles 13 and 14)

How many pairs of clean animals did God tell Noah to take into the Ark?

(a) Two (Genesis 6:19, 20)

(b) Seven (Genesis 7:2). But despite this last instruction only two pairs went into the ark (Genesis 7:8-9)

When David defeated the King of Zobah, how many horsemen did he capture?

(a) One thousand and seven hundred (2 Samuel 8:4)

(b) Seven thousand (I Chronicles 18:4)

How many stalls for horses did Solomon have?

(a) Forty thousand (I Kings 4:26)

(b) Four thousand (2 chronicles 9:25)

Holy Spirit, please open my eyes - or better yet, show me how to interpret the English language in the bible. Maybe, about five shots of whiskey might do the trick.
0 Replies

Biliskner

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 07:07 pm
parados wrote:

The bible is completely open to interpretation.
parados wrote:

It is words. Words have different meaning to different people.

You need a linguist friend. Words *might* have different meanings to different people, but context doesn't. The context gives you the whole picture. EXAMPLE: "love your neighbour as yourself" sits IN A CONTEXT of loving your LORD GOD first. But surprise surprise it is ALWAYS taken out of context, and who gets taken out? God of course. Do you love the begger down the street? And how do you do it? You neighbour doesn't mean "just someone you like/friend", it means EVERYONE. So, love the begger down the street, your estranged mom/dad, and the friend you currently hate for stealing your girlfriend. then ask me more questions.

parados wrote:

You have no more power to be correct than I or anyone else does. The power comes not from "god being on your side" but from being able to demonstrate that something may be correct or not. If you can't demonstrate it is literally true then why is your literal interpretation better than my figurative one?

The Scriptures are spiritual and are of spiritual concern concerning humans. Since I assume you are a human, you cannot fully understand it unless... how do you say it, "god being on your side".

But since none of you believe in no spiritual realm, this discussion is over.

parados wrote:

The greatest contributions to understanding of Christianity have been attempts to ascertain meaning through logic and reason.

wow. we agree on that much at least!!

IE: Jesus nailed to cross and poked in the kidneys with a crude spear then buried in tomb. three days later, he's not in tomb. what happened!!! LOGIC AND REASON!!! I second that.

parados wrote:
Go read Aquinus.

i have. Go read Luther, Simeon, Descarte, Tyndale, Stott, Packer, and last but not least, God.
0 Replies

Biliskner

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 07:15 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Contradictions in the Bible

Holy Spirit, please open my eyes - or better yet, show me how to interpret the English language in the bible. Maybe, about five shots of whiskey might do the trick.

You missed the one where Matthew says Jesus was leaving Jericho, and in Luke he says he was ENTERING Jericho.
(note this is a better example than counting how many horses there were.)

don't play us for fools. here is your whiskey. mixed with vodka, gin and 2 shots of moonshine, mate.
0 Replies

Biliskner

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 07:17 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Quote, "FACT:
the Scriptures in the OT AND NT are interpretable only by the Holy Spirit. You can only understand it if your eyes have been opened by the Holy Spirit meaning you actually pray for Jesus' help before you read it and after."
Excuse me while I leave the room so I can ROTFTLMAO.

total count: 1.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 07:30 pm
Bili,
Its so nice that you have taken the place of God and can decide if I am Christian or not.
Quote:
question for you: how can you even attempt to understand the old or new testament if you're not a Christian? and why would you? this Book means nothing to you.

Quote:
parados wrote:

Quote:

LOL. and where does your authority come from? why would i believe your definition of "true Christian" over millions that have come before you? lol...

the people in this forum are complaining about my rants being illogical and not understanable (which for the record means they're either really young of just hard headed 'cos i've never had that in other forums). give me specific questions and you'll get your answers.

I thought my question was pretty specific. THen you tell me you will answer specific questions after NOT answering it? Perhaps you can explain the "logic" of not answering the question then claiming you will answer if asked. I asked for citation of where Christ supported capital punishment. Feel free to answer that question like you claimed you would. You stated "Christian" means follower of Christ hence it is the teachings of Christ that should support your argument.

My definition of a follower of Christ is one that would put Christ's teachings as the most important in the scriptures. When Christ contradicts or gives a different viewpoint about something do you follow Christ or the old testament? Thus my statement "Christ vs OT". Are you seriously going to tell us that Christ didn't overturn any of the OT?
0 Replies

Biliskner

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 07:43 pm
Quote:
parados wrote:
Bili,
Its so nice that you have taken the place of God and can decide if I am Christian or not.

sorry. my bad. i came into this forum assuming Christians, then found out it wasn't (due to all my Bible posts then them saying my "tourtured rants") so now i assume mostly non-Christians etc.
like i said, my bad.

parados wrote:

My definition of a follower of Christ is one that would put Christ's teachings as the most important in the scriptures. When Christ contradicts or gives a different viewpoint about something do you follow Christ or the old testament? Thus my statement "Christ vs OT". Are you seriously going to tell us that Christ didn't overturn any of the OT?

Biliskner wrote:

You're right in saying that no one "took it back" and Jesus didn't, per se - but on the Sermon on the Mount he did put a *spin* on revenge/punishment and other such things:

"You have heard that it was said, `Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' [Exodus 21:24; Lev. 24:20 and Deut. 19:21] But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.
"You have heard that it was said, `Love your neighbour [Lev.19:18] and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.
If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?" -- Matthew 5:38-47

Now there's enough food for 10 Bible studies and a half...

Last edited by Biliskner on Wed Mar 09, 2005 19:52; edited 1 time in total

VS sounds wrong (yes wrong in the fullest sense - no offence).
It's more like Christ fulfills the OT and therefore, if you like, "overthrew" the law (aka: OT) - as per Paul's expository teaching in Romans.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 08:07 pm
Quote:
i have. Go read Luther, Simeon, Descarte, Tyndale, Stott, Packer, and last but not least, God.

Quote:

You need a linguist friend. Words *might* have different meanings to different people, but context doesn't. The context gives you the whole picture.

I wonder if you see the incongruity in your 2 statements. If context means that there can be no dispute of the meaning then why do you have to recommend so many people to read? Of course there is dispute of meaning. There is also dispute of context. That is why there are so many different Christian sects. No one sect is blessed with knowing everything. Nor are you. Nor am I.

I apologize if you found my statement of "true Christian" offensive. What I was trying to say is I see no teaching by Christ that allows for capital punishment. When it comes to religion I see a lot of people ignoring Christ and using the old testament to justify their own personal feelings. I asked your opinion on that and citations if you disagreed with my assessment.
0 Replies

Biliskner

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 10:03 pm
parados wrote:
Quote:

What I was trying to say is I see no teaching by Christ that allows for capital punishment.

agreed.
0 Replies

lefty06

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 10:07 am
In Luke 23:41-43 it was wrote:
41 "And we indeed justly, for we are receiving what we deserve for our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong."
42 And he was saying, "Jesus, remember me when You come in Your kingdom!"
43 And He said to him, "Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise."

I find justification for the death penalty not by what Jesus said or did, but by what he didn't do. When he was on the cross, and the man to his side, being punished for something he really did, repented of his sins, he didn't ask the guards to take him down or even somehow float him down himself, he said what you see above. Therefore, I believe God isn't against the death penalty when administered justly.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 12:27 pm
Dont be silly.
0 Replies

Biliskner

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 06:17 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Dont be silly.

Wow you're so helpful.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 06:26 pm
I have no desire to help. I want to bring on the good fight. To fight FIRE with FIRE*
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 06:35 pm
Quote:
I find justification for the death penalty not by what Jesus said or did, but by what he didn't do. When he was on the cross, and the man to his side, being punished for something he really did, repented of his sins, he didn't ask the guards to take him down or even somehow float him down himself, he said what you see above. Therefore, I believe God isn't against the death penalty when administered justly.

I find this one a little hard to buy. If Jesus had performed a miracle or ordered the soldiers to take down the 2 others on crosses, it would have destroyed the entire purpose of his being there to begin with.

To claim God is for something because he never came out against it leaves the door wide open to justify just about anything we do.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 06:47 pm
"Therefore, I believe God isn't against the death penalty when administered justly."

Smile

I believe God is a jealous God and goes around smiting people for the most trivial of reasons.

And when the death penalty is not administered justly? Does He intervene? Did he save the Jews at Auschwitz? You have no idea what god likes or does not like. Whether he prefers vanilla or chocolate. How dare you a mere mortal ascribe characteristics to the God who made All? You just make it up as you go along and I'm determined to do my best to put an end to it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 07:03 pm
If one can believe the bible, he was a "jealous" god. http://www.2-god.org/Sermons/sermon7.htm
0 Replies