Capital Punishment and the Bible(particularly New Testament)

headofthefield

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 10:58 pm
Steve, God said b/c the Jews are his chosen people they will suffer from the hand of mankind until the earths destruction. And how dare you try to say that he is wrong with his"belief." You can try and prove him wrong, but so far there has been nothing to say that you can do it. Oh and why would god need to be jealous? He has everything and the power over it. If he wanted you to slap yourself, he could command it. But I doubt that is his will(he has "bigger fish to fry" so to speak).
0 Replies

Biliskner

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 11:50 pm
headofthefield wrote:
If he wanted you to slap yourself, he could command it.

Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
I have no desire to help. I want to bring on the good fight. To fight FIRE with FIRE*

I think He just did. Very Happy
0 Replies

Biliskner

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 11:54 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
"Therefore, I believe God isn't against the death penalty when administered justly."

Smile

I believe God is a jealous God and goes around smiting people for the most trivial of reasons.

And when the death penalty is not administered justly? Does He intervene? Did he save the Jews at Auschwitz? You have no idea what god likes or does not like. Whether he prefers vanilla or chocolate. How dare you a mere mortal ascribe characteristics to the God who made All? You just make it up as you go along and I'm determined to do my best to put an end to it.

Does Jesus intervene? Did Jesus save the Jews at Auschwitz? You have no idea what Jesus likes or does not like. Whether Jesus prefers vanilla or chocolate. How dare you a mere mortal ascribe characteristics to the Jesus who made All? You just make it up as you go along and I'm determined to do my best to put an end to it.

Yes. Yes. No. N/A. He lived, died and resurrected. History cannot be changed, not even by you.
0 Replies

Biliskner

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 11:58 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
If one can believe the bible, he was a "jealous" god. http://www.2-god.org/Sermons/sermon7.htm

Exactly like a husband who is jealous for his wife and vice versa.

If a husband wasn't jealous for his wife, he would divorce her and sleep with other women and have multiple sexual partners, like one for everyday of the week for example.
If a wife wasn't jealous for her husband she would have sex with other men and divorce him like a piece of throw away plastic.

But stuff like that does happen... hang on!!!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 12:21 am
Bilisk, The consequence of human jealousy doesn't just end up in divorce when following god's exmple. Death is the penalty; no if's and's and but's about it! No mercy!
0 Replies

Biliskner

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 12:30 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Bilisk, The consequence of human jealousy doesn't just end up in divorce when following god's exmple. Death is the penalty; no if's and's and but's about it! No mercy!

you adhere to the old covenant. why? when there is something so much sweeter. (thus the name: "old" covenant). your life, your choice... i guess.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 11:34 am
Hey, I'm just going by what the bible says... That's the confusion, old covenant, new covenant; how do you guys keep it straight in your brain? We were always told the bible was god's literal word.
0 Replies

headofthefield

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 08:08 pm
Who said that is was literal? There are metaphors that are translated into a modern day sense now. I know you all hate to hear the metaphor comment but if you truely believe the bible you will see the metaphoric sense.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 11:36 am
head wrote:
Quote:
Who said that is was literal? There are metaphors that are translated into a modern day sense now. I know you all hate to hear the metaphor comment but if you truely believe the bible you will see the metaphoric sense.

And this leads us right back to the same place in the circular reasoning. The bible is metaphor so it is open to interpretation. One of the biggest interpretations is the decision of what is literal and what is only metaphor. Did the things in the bible actually occur or are they only metaphor and allegory? Is the suffering of Jews literal or is it only metaphorical?

Now, for the most important question in religion. Can one man truly understand the word of God? My personal feeling is no because then it makes you God. We all interpret based on what we hope is correct. If by some chance you are wrong, are you prepared to accept that on judgement day and spend eternity that way?
0 Replies

headofthefield

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 11:58 am
parados, you are right in your saying that no one knows God's word and understands it for certain. We do interperate it as to what we think more than hope is right.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 12:06 pm
"Hope is right" is a mouthful to be sure. Hope and faith seems so much related, don't they?
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 12:06 pm
Quote:
Now, for the most important question in religion. Can one man truly understand the word of God? My personal feeling is no because then it makes you God. We all interpret based on what we hope is correct. If by some chance you are wrong, are you prepared to accept that on judgement day and spend eternity that way?

If we misinterpert the bible, I'm sure God will know. I doubt that he would punish us for this. The bible must be interperted in a way that is not entirely opposite of the message though.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 12:10 pm
With so many conflicting messages, nobody in their right mind can keep them straight. Confusion is the order of the bible.
0 Replies

headofthefield

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 12:48 pm
It is only confusing if you make it. If you try to understand then you would.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 12:49 pm
I agree - there is not a lot of confusion to someone genuinely seeking a cohesive message there.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 02:21 pm
Bible: earth was created in six days, and the assumptions from the bible would make the earth 6,000 years old. Science: earth has been around for billions of years- proven by earth strata, anthropology, physics, astrology, earth science, geology and most sciences of man. One historical book against current knowledge; I pick current knowledge.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 02:26 pm
...which completely does not address the point that those truly seeking orderliness in the bible can find it. If one is looking for conflict (as it is obvious some are, and will), one will find it.

How did this get from "the bible is confusing" to "I choose science over religion", CI? I mean, did someone ask?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 02:29 pm
No, snood. Do you know what a personal opinion is?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 02:32 pm
If the bible is your religion, good luck. If you can filter through all the contradictions in the bible to arrive at a "message," you understand the English language much better than I. I have never claimed to be strong in the English grammar, so you might have something; although I'm not sure what that "something" is.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 04:09 pm
Quote:
I agree - there is not a lot of confusion to someone genuinely seeking a cohesive message there.

There is a ton of confusion from the minute details to the overarching message. One only needs to look at the policies of different sects to see how much confusion there is. It is an easy statement to make that anyone that disagrees with you isn't genuinely seeking but those on the other side can just as validly point at you and say the same thing.

Millions of people don't attend bible studies because they have no confusion.

With religion as with science, there is a large difference between seeking the truth and only seeking to validate what you want the truth to be. A lot of metaphors for this one. You can't find out what the world is like if your only goal is to stay home.
0 Replies