Capital Punishment and the Bible(particularly New Testament)

Biliskner

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 03:52 am
parados wrote:
head,
When we can't even agree on the "basic foundations", who can decide what is the "claim" of christianity?

The foundation is located in ACTS 4:12.

It's all about Jesus, teh OT and teh NT.

That's what the word "Christianity" means: Christ-ianity: Christ-follower.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 03:53 am
Biliskner wrote:-

"those words mean absolutely nothing.
Your mechanism can be replaced with the word "magic"

HOW do those species adapt?
HOW does Natural Selection work?
WHAT characteristics?
HOW does the timescale work?

3 'how's' and 1 'what'... is what science attempts to explain. I've asked 4 questions. please write more than one sentence on each.

EG: Fish spawns leg to crawl on land is not adaptation. It's divine intervention. (just for the record).

You want me to answer that question? what question? apart from the '?' your question is a very weird "question".
Ok, i'll play this game and beat around the berry bush:

"Certain forms of behavior"; "clearly not just about survival?"

Are you saying that "certain forms of behavior" = "proof of evolution"?
HOW clear is clear? what do you mean?

Say it like it is dude, and paragraphs will be as conscise and coherent as your 'questions'. short enough?"

No Biliskner, it wasn't short enough. But I'm delighted in your new found interest in evolutionary theory. I'm not the best person to give answers. There has been plenty published on the subject since Charles Darwin

http://www2.lucidcafe.com/lucidcafe/library/96feb/darwin.html

wrote the Origin of the Species. God has given you a brain - far from perfect obviously - but you are quite capable of doing your own research on evolution. Let me know how you get on. S
0 Replies

Biliskner

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 03:54 am
parados wrote:
The basic foundation of Christianity as with most religions is morality. To me it is based on the ethics of the golden rule.

Do unto others...
Love thy neighbor...

The teachings of Christ are filled with allegories. All seem to point to this. It becomes too easy to change it when you start to try to take it literally.

out of context:

""Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: "`Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' [Deut. 6:5] This is the first and greatest commandment. ""
0 Replies

Biliskner

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 03:56 am
Eorl wrote:
headofthefield : 54 posts since March 04 and not a single line of sense.

You are a permanent troll. Don't you have something better to do?
0 Replies

Biliskner

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 03:58 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Ain't that somet'n; Adam and Eve sins, and the rest of us has to pay for their mistake. It seems to me that Jesus didn't pay the high price, we all did!

the point is that we all would've done the same.
0 Replies

Biliskner

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 03:59 am
I'm sorry for filling up 2 pages. Will ignore half arsed answers. Cool
0 Replies

Biliskner

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 04:00 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Biliskner wrote:-
No Biliskner, it wasn't short enough. But I'm delighted in your new found interest in evolutionary theory. I'm not the best person to give answers. There has been plenty published on the subject since Charles Darwin

http://www2.lucidcafe.com/lucidcafe/library/96feb/darwin.html

wrote the Origin of the Species. God has given you a brain - far from perfect obviously - but you are quite capable of doing your own research on evolution. Let me know how you get on. S

done.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 04:04 am
that was quick
0 Replies

Biliskner

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 04:13 am
indeed.
shall we start a thread:
"Evolution, Science or Pseudoscience?"
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 04:15 am
Oh, thank God for that. Finally someone knows what christianty is founded on. It's ACTS 4:12

"4:12 Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved."

If you other christians guys could all just sign off on that (not that I don't believe you, I'm just being thorough) then finally when can get some meaningful dialogue started.
0 Replies

Biliskner

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 04:20 am
you're good at looking up Bible verses, try these and let me know:

Romans 1:16-23
Colossian 1:15-20
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 04:23 am
No, I'm fine thanks, no need. ACTS 4:12 was your answer and you locked it in. (Maybe should have asked the audience)

My point once more: Law and Bible should not mix.
0 Replies

Biliskner

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 04:37 am
crux probat omnia.

failed.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 04:51 am
I'm no slave of yours to go looking up bible verses in a book I hold no faith in.

I think the fundamental problem, and the reason things get so heated could be this.....

I think your entire view of the world is horse****
You think my entire view of the world is horse****

In my eyes, your view is self delusion.
In your eyes my view is a terrible sin, and I am an enemy of you and your church, and I should not be permitted to cast your view in a stupid light. You have the backing of the church, the majority of people and probably your government.

Does that seem accurate? I'm being dead serious here. I'm not trying to score points. I'm making a serious effort to understand our difference.
0 Replies

Biliskner

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 06:34 am
theantibuddha wrote:
parados wrote:
Find me a single teaching by Christ that supports capital punishment.

"Let whosoever is without sin throw the first stone."

It not only endorses execution but tells you the method of determining precedence amongst potential executioners.

non-Christians trying to interpret Christian ... how do they say it .... "holy Scriptures".

funny.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 06:41 am
Biliskner wrote:
non-Christians trying to interpret Christian ... how do they say it .... "holy Scriptures".

funny.

Why?

What has belief or non-belief to do with interpretation of words on a page?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 08:55 am
Bili,
Quote:

funny.

I agree after watching your tortured rants to reinvent the scripture.

It is the height of arrogance to claim you are the one that knows the mind of God vs anyone else here. And I think we all know what the scriptures say about "pride"

Quote:
It's all about Jesus, teh OT and teh NT.

That's what the word "Christianity" means: Christ-ianity: Christ-follower.

I guess you missed my question about following Christ vs the OLD TESTAMENT. Christian means you would follow CHRIST. As I have asked repeatedly.. when did Christ come out for the death penalty. You can't use the old testament where it contradicts Christ if you are truly a Christian.

I say that a "true Christian" can't support the death penalty. What do you say? If you disagree with me support it with the words of Christ.
0 Replies

headofthefield

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 12:18 pm
I would pose this question. How do you have dialogue in a christian based debate when the people you debate with don't believe a word the bible says? There can't be a true spirital debate without the understanding of the bible and it's word.
Bil, I guess I put what you said about the Christians and non-Christians into a different statement. I agree though.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 12:24 pm
Quote:
I say that a "true Christian" can't support the death penalty. What do you say? If you disagree with me support it with the words of Christ.

That's what my main beef was with the death penalty. Jesus said that whoever is without sin, shall cast the first stone, and no government is perfect.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 03:16 pm
head and bil,

Wrong question.

You can't have a spiritual debate if you decide that you are completey correct and anyone that disagrees with you is not spiritual.

Just because someone disagrees with your interpretation of the bible does NOT make them an infidel nor does it mean they don't believe a word of it.

The bible is completely open to interpretation. It is words. Words have different meaning to different people. You have no more power to be correct than I or anyone else does. The power comes not from "god being on your side" but from being able to demonstrate that something may be correct or not. If you can't demonstrate it is literally true then why is your literal interpretation better than my figurative one?

The greatest contributions to understanding of Christianity have been attempts to ascertain meaning through logic and reason. Go read Aquinus.
0 Replies