Goofing off in photoshop - what do you think?

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 06:36 pm
Mo's bio-sisters? May I ask who's taking care of them?
They are indeed adorable.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 06:41 pm
They live with their bio-dad (who is not Mo's dad).

Bio-dad brings the girls in for photos a couple of times a year and I see them a couple of other times a year as well.

Not often enough.

<sigh>
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 06:45 pm
Oh gosh...

Wait a second....

Just to clairfy for those who may not know...

I am Mo's guardian, hopeful adoptive parent.

I'm not leaving motherless kids strung all over town.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 06:47 pm
Thanks for sharing. It seems they're good taken care of then
and at least Mo get's to see them occasionally.

Sorry, was off topic now.

I think their father would adore the picture you made.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 07:05 pm
Their father has a 20x24 of that one! I make sure that they get lots of photos when he brings them in. I should probably print him up one with the quote though.

The girls are well taken care of. We share a concern that Mo and the girls know each other as they grow up. Right now they are all so little (the girls are not quite 1.5 and Mo just turned 4) that they don't have the vaguest notion of what their relationship is.

All in due time.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 07:41 pm
Oh my gosh!

The latest batch of prints turned out so beautiful. I had the two composits, the pregnant photo, the baby photo and a "quhoto" of Mo done. Even the people at my lab were excited about them!

I hope I don't sound boastful. It has just been a while since I had such a creative flurry and then had it translate so well. It's very exhilarating. I can't wait to show them around. I wish I could show the real things to all of you.

Thank you all so much for your complements and your criticisms. It really helped and I most appreciate it!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 08:53 pm
Yay boomer!

They look amazing here, I can only imagine how well they turned out. The quote ones have major marketing potential -- cards or posters or calendars or something.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 09:21 pm
Thank you soz!

This may sound stupid but it really makes me feel a little drunk being excited about producing something I like.

I really hadn't realized how plodding I'd become with photography until someone else said "wow".

I hadn't wowed myself in a very long time.

I feel positively unleashed!

From a marketing standpoint, I just want my clients to say "gotta have it". Making something for a particular someone is much more satisfying that anything else I can think of.

I can't wait to give the pregnant photo to that woman - she has no idea that I made it. I just made it up to give her as a baby-warming present, a gift to her.

But if she shows it off to others who think "gotta have it".... well.....
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 01:44 am
good luck - they are lovely and should be a 'got to have'
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 02:09 am
http://photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/th_body.jpg

I like this one a lot, boomerang. I like the composition, I like B & W (or tonal) photographs & it feels very sensual & tactile! Nice! Very Happy
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 07:28 am
Thank you Vivien and msolga!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:05 pm
Here's another one...

I'm curious as to what you think of the quote. Do you think someone would think "too vain" if they were to think about applying this quote to a photo of themselves?

Here's what the quote reads, just in case the image makes it too hard to see.

"Let us not judge life by the number of breaths taken, but by the number of times the breath is held, or lost, either under a deep emotion, caused by love, or when we stand before an object of interest and beauty."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/danamirror.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 10:41 pm
That's a lovely photo.

By the way I really like the layout, itself, the relatively simple photos -- often dominated by one or two colors -- the white border, and the fonts you choose.

That quote does seem clunkier than the others -- wordier, harder to digest, not as seamless of a fit.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 10:48 pm
It is a beautiful photo, but I think the quote is much too long winded...and detracts from the overall appeal as a whole.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 02:15 am
the photo is beautiful in its lighting, simplicity and the shapes - I don't really like the quote either - the idea is good but it is a bit long winded and heavy handed somehow.

you are very good with studio lighting

I think quotes like that are a US/UK divide as well - in Victorian times there were lots of sentimental quotes on things and I think there is still a reaction going on against it! (that quote isn't sentimental but the US in general do like sentiment I notice) - so my advice wouldn't be accurate for the US.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 08:04 am
I wish I could take credit for the photo but it was shot by my business partner, J. He is whiz-bang with lighting for sure.

Yeah, the quote. I wasn't really happy with it either. It's hard to come up with something that doesn't sound completely vain.

I think this idea might be best reserved for kids and events/occasions.

Thanks again, all!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 09:51 am
Maybe a quote about youth? (Not baby youth, but first bloom of beauty youth...)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 11:07 am
Some possibilities:

Now that the April of your youth adorns The garden of your face. -Lord Herbert of Cherbury

No, there's nothing half so sweet in life As love's young dream. -Thomas More

Beauty is the lover's gift. -William Congreve

If you get simple beauty and naught else, You get about the best thing God invents. -Robert Browning

That was fun -- went through my giant Oxford book of quotations, one of my first gifts from E.G.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 11:08 am
By the way I think the third one would be good for any number of poses by a woman who wants to give the photo to her s.o.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 12:21 pm
Wow! Thanks, soz. Those are all really beautiful quotes.

I agree with you on the third one. That would make a great quote for a gift for a lover.

The trick would be to convince a woman that she justified the quote -- if you get my drift.

For example, the girl in that shot is a photo assistant in the studio who typically describes herself as "a total dork" and when I told her how beautiful I thought the photo was she suggested I get my "eyes checked - no wait, get your head examined too".

Chosing a quote for someone is one thing, chosing one for yourself is quite another.

Hmmmm. Maybe I need to find a way to let someone chose for someone else......
0 Replies