Goofing off in photoshop - what do you think?

boomerang

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 07:02 pm
Now I can see it! That is a really beautiful photo.

I have a few that I cropped into squares too, soz. I just really had trouble when I started trying to force things into squares. Too many years of rectangles or something.

If you've worked in layers you shouldn't have a hard time getting along in photoshop, farmerman. Layers were my biggest hurdle.

I use a cranky old version of photoshop 4.5 here at home because I really just need a new computer. Still, I don't do too many effects so for me to goof around with its fine. At the studio I have photoshop 7 which is wonderful to use - it has a couple of things new to it that are really miraculous for retouching purposes. The best thing, the thing that makes it worth all the money, though, is it has a "history" bar that lets you go back as many as, I think, 30 steps to change something. With the older versions you have to make up your mind right away.

I've been having a lot of fun with it the last few days. Of course, that could be simply because I'm not "working".
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 02:48 am
that's a lovely portrait.

farmer, yes Photoshop is pretty user friendly and you'd enjoy it. I agree about the filters - watercolour etc is just awful and nothing remotely like watercolour.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 09:15 am
I updated Mo's a bit.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/tcollage.jpg

and I made one for Monkey....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/mcollage.jpg
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 12:36 pm
I've got to work on my display today. That's such an
inspiration boomerang, and little Monkey here is just
precious. You tend to put the best photos (or at least
what I consider the best) into the last picture of the
middle row Wink

I just adore the color photo in the middle row.

farmerman, did you kow, that you can make any photo/picture
into a valid stamp? snapfish.com has a service where you
can make 37 ¢ stamps out of your artwork. It does cost
more than a 37 ¢ per stamp though (I forgot the exact
amout).
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 05:06 pm
When I was working on these I cropped and sized all nine photos then started juggling them around, mostly using head tilt and eye direction as a guide to the best layout. For some reason that space just worked best for a jolt of color.

I picked up the prints of 1-4 from my lab today and they turned out pretty cool. That metallic paper is really neat and I'm afraid I may go broke ordering up a bunch of stuff on it. I'm going to order the composit ones today so I should have some results at the first part of next week.

It is so much fun to do something new.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 01:43 am
I tried a different design - very colorful

http://www.directupload.net/images/050227/7adY4Lt3.jpg
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 07:45 am
Thats great CJane!

Very fun and lively.

Is that Little Jane and friends? That is a fun idea -- now you've inspired me to put together a friends page for Mo. What a great way to help them remember people and times from their young lives.

Thank you!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 10:28 am
I'm going to take this one down in just a bit since it's some work I did for a client -- but I'd love to know what you all think:

(Coming up with corrections.....)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 10:53 am
That quote! Did I give it to you or did you find it yourself?

The image is lovely.

One jarring note is the sharp diagonal line in the lower left corner -- can you blend that out?

Very nice, CJane!

Love the monkey one too. Yeah, a pattern is developing -- the best close-up face shot in the middle, the jolt of color -- I like it, it makes sense.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 11:11 am
I found the quote in a book yesterday, soz. I thought it was really nice -- I'm not surprised that it's one you like.

Yeah - that diagonal is bad - it's part of her arm. It really needs some work. Thanks!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 11:12 am
good point about the diagonal line - powerful image though.

I really like these grids of close ups they look great.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 11:13 am
Thanks Vivien!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 11:52 am
Here's an update....

I can't take credit for the shot. It was done by my partner J. I'm just the after-effect person on this one.

[img]<edit: snip>
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 02:16 pm
Lovely pictures!

From the first ones I liked the second one, but these collages of whom I assume are your kids are just heartwarming.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 04:44 pm
Thank you, JoeFX.

Mo is mine, Monkey is my great-niece. I love "heartwarming" - thank you especially for that!
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 03:23 pm
Very Happy
You're welcome, thanks for uploading.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 05:45 pm
I've really been having fun learning my way around photoshop and playing with all the little doodads I've ignored for so long.

Here's a new one using the torn edge filter:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/twins.jpg
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 05:47 pm
Well hello Ann Geddes.
What a precious picture boomerang. And the color
is so luscious.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 06:18 pm
boomer - where do you do your printing at work?
a photolab or do you have one or great printers?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 06:32 pm
Thanks CJane. Those are Mo's bio-sisters and they are just amazingly beautiful kids.

I have all my stuff printed at a little local lab, husker. I don't want to have to deal with that whole color balance thing - I can never seem to get it to translate right from my computer to the paper. Plus, I like real photo paper better than computer paper which doesn't seem to have that sparkle.

Also, I would most likely have to hire someone just to do printing if I did it in house and I doubt it would be as cost effective as the lab I'm using.
0 Replies