the wake

husker

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 12:58 pm
Will go to the postoffice soon. Sending 3, the heart shaped one is mine and the other two are pretty and can be shared with anyone.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 02:28 pm
Will watch for the envelopes.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 02:45 pm
My Mrs just reminded me of the ending ceremony in the movie Schindler's List
http://www.coseti.org/images/45th_12.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 03:02 pm
Quite a moving tradition, isn't it.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 03:27 pm
Yes it it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 07:30 am
realjohnboy wrote:
Another clerk came over during his lunch break and said that we should bring the box to him tomorrow and it will go off to Canada.

I think back on how Cav had a keen eye for the absurd. The complications involved in mailing small stones from the US to Canada would have amused him.

The beautiful stones have arrived. Thank everyone who helped you get them here, rjb. They made more than a few people smile here, when I explained how, and why, they're here.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 08:31 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
That's a really neat idea, ehBeth. I too would like to participate, if it isn't too much trouble.

The stone from C'burg has arrived, O'Bill.

Funny how I'm starting to look forward to going to see Cav and telling him about these lil memory stones arriving from his friends.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 08:36 am
Mine is on its way too, ehBeth. But it might not make it before you leave for NYC. It will be there in plenty of time for the 30th, though.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 08:42 am
The people around my desk know to be on the lookout, lil Eva - and know where I'm stashing Cav's memory stones.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 08:45 am
Good.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 08:57 pm
ehBeth wrote:
The stone from C'burg has arrived, O'Bill.
Smile
Nothing fancy about it all, but I suppose it's worth mentioning that it came off my restaurant's property. Since we're downtown, with a paved parking lot, there weren't too many to choose from. It just seemed right to pick one up here. Thank you again, Beth. If you guys ever make it down here; we'll share a fine bottle (or two…) of wine in Cav's honor.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 09:24 pm
Mine came back.....hubby failed to note it was Canada bound and didn't put enough postage on it Sad

If there is time I will resend it.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 02:00 pm
It's a stunning day here in Toronto, folks.

A beautiful day to remember an old friend.

Think I'll go for a walk.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 03:15 pm
Nice idea, I might do that too.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 03:19 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Quote:
The unveiling of a monument
in memory of

PAUL JEFFREY MESBUR

will take place

Sunday, October 30, 1:00 p.m.
Pardes Shalom Cemetery

Dufferin Street north of Major Mackenzie
Community Section

Relatives and friends are invited
to join the family following the ceremony

I will be there.

I was there today in spirit.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 03:56 pm
I miss cavs being there at weird hours with something that was usually totally insane and fun. Then hed blow you away with some incredibly insiteful piece of poetry.
He was, when he was taken from us, as they said about artists, "In his full powers"

Being Jewish he believes that his afterlife is when we remember him and think kindly of him.

I memebr when he helped me get through cookin a duck when we were on abuzz. It turned into a total gabfest with a bunch of kitchen afficienados . Its pretty here today also. Except I had to stay in .
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 04:01 pm
I remember a duck thread that he was part of that was a story thread, hilarious...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 05:04 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Mine came back.....hubby failed to note it was Canada bound and didn't put enough postage on it Sad

If there is time I will resend it.

re-send it, Foxfyre

I'll be going out to see Cav again.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 05:13 pm
It really was a beautiful day here today.
No snow.

Set is in town. We picked up Bo and went up to the cemetary. Joined a crowd of friends and family.

The kaddish portion of the ceremony <the not-rabbi part> featured a short speech from one of Cav's good friends, Bo reading a poem written by Letty, a Warren Zevon song sung by Buttercup <Mrs. Cav>, and then small speeches by CavMom and CavDad.

I really appreciated the part where the rabbi <the same amazing woman we heard at the burial service> talked about the unveiling of the memorial as a moment of transition. When friends and family move from mourning to remembering.

Mezzie and his wife did the unveiling.

The placement of the stones on the memorial was interesting.

The rabbi explained that it was a time to tell Cav how we will remember him/how he will live on - by our actions.

I divvied up the stones I'd received with Bo and Set - took my moment to tell Cav about O'Bill and his restaurant, among other things.

~~~~~~~~~

so - sing a song, write a poem, hug a dog <or anyone/everyone you love>, cook a good meal and share it with people you love - and remember our very good friend
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 05:15 pm
Thank you.
0 Replies