Convicted sex-offen/ teacher to wed victim after jailrelease

dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 07:33 am
I am sad to hear it.

I hope very much that you return to us soon.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 12:02 pm
Yes Gozmo - opinions and arguments and judgements about arguments about opinions aside, and all their worth or lack of worth - this place should be a good place, of course, fundamentally a nice place. I hope you'll come back and will feel OK.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 08:32 pm
willow_tl wrote:
there is a distinct difference in perception between males and females..so i would tend to agree with you gozmo..but i don't know whether it is society norms that cause males to percieve abuse differently..but they do not tend to be as affected as females...

My position might be better expressed by pondering this question:

If some women are affected more adversely by being sexually assaulted by a black man than they are when sexually assaulted by a white man, would it be racist to treat sexual assaults by black men as a different crime, punished more severely than sexual assault by white men?

I would consider such a policy to be racist.

And I consider a like policy, differentiating criminality of sexual assault by gender, to be sexist.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 09:13 pm
Yes, assault is assault, seems clear enough to me.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 09:22 pm
Oralloy, you hit the nail right on the head.

All I know for sure, as someone who has been molested, is that when a child is abused, the ramifications are immeasurable.

A child has not developed a personality that is strong enough to withstand that kind of abuse without it affecting her/his development. I'm not saying that an abused child can't build a decent life, but that the scars will last a lifetime and that they will, occasionally, flare up with an awful, familiar sense of fear and self-loathing. Children NEED to just be children, whether little boys or little girls. That time is crucial to their developing a strong foundation for adulthood.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 03:42 am
I am not denying the legal issue ... i truly agree that those that abuse children either male or female should be punished for the crime..i just believe that it affects men differently than women (when a woman is involved with the male)...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 04:47 am
nimh wrote:
gozmo wrote:
It is simplistic to equate sexual activity of older women with young men and that of older men with younger women. The consequences for the victim are not the same , the nature and psychology of the crimes are not the same. Apart from breaching the duty of care, the crimes are very different and warrant different responses.

Tenoch wrote:
I think that the consequences of an older person abusing a younger person is equal reguardles of the gender of the victim. Little kids who sleep with teachers do not grow up without any scars.

I wholeheartedly agree with Tenoch.

Related threads:
* Tenn. Teacher Charged With Sexual Battery
* 14 year old student bangs teacher, then calls the cops

I read this awful story of one of the first men in the UK, back in the early 80s or so, who came out and sought help at a shelter for abused youngsters - and was sent away by the women there because men could not possibly be the victims ...

Interesting. And disgusting.

The rape and sexual assault centre I worked for was lambasted by some other clinics for also working with male victims.

The men and boys I have worked with were some of the most deeply affected I have ever come across - partly, I am sure, because of the sexist assumptions underlying our culture.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 04:48 am
willow_tl wrote:
I am not denying the legal issue ... i truly agree that those that abuse children either male or female should be punished for the crime..i just believe that it affects men differently than women (when a woman is involved with the male)...

Willow - can you delineate more fully in what sort of circumstances you are believing this to be true?

For instance, some of the most terribly affected folk I have come across in real life (though my working sample is small in this case) and in the literature are people who were sexually abused as children by female caregivers.

I do "get" that you are not denying the rightness of the legal response btw.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 05:21 pm
Mary Kay Letourneau weds former student in secrecy-shrouded ceremony

Quote:
Saturday, May 21st, 2005
SEATTLE (AP) - Mary Kay Letourneau and her former sixth-grade student have married in a lavish, secrecy-shrouded ceremony, less than a year after she was released from prison for raping him.

Letourneau, 43, and Vili Fualaau, now 22, have been in the national spotlight since she was jailed in 1997. The couple have two children together.

[paparazzi details snipped]

Letourneau and Fualaau first met when he was in the second grade. Their relationship became sexual when he was 12 and she was a 34-year-old married mother of four, a teacher at Burien's Shorewood Elementary School.

Letourneau was pregnant with Fualaau's first child when she was arrested in 1997. She pleaded guilty to two counts of second-degree child rape and was sentenced to 7 1/2 years in prison, with all but six months suspended.

Within weeks of her release, she was caught having sex with Fualaau in her car and ordered to serve the remainder of her sentence. She gave birth to the couple's second daughter while serving time.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 07:02 pm
Inteesting. We have recently imprisoned, in my country, two female teachers who had sex with male students.

Seems the law here is considering female offenders at least equally deserving of punishment.

Actually, knowing what I know about sentences often given out to male offenders, I am wondering if they are copping MORE punishment (you know - the "eww - this is so EVIL and unnatural in a woman!! factor) since I have known of numerous male teachers who were given only suspended sentences - if that - for seemingly similar offences. Or - the sentencing may be drifting to the heavier end generally - do not know.

One of the women originally received a suspended sentence, but the Prosecution appealed, and she received a six month prison sentence from the appeal judge.
0 Replies