Convicted sex-offen/ teacher to wed victim after jailrelease

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 04:14 pm
Quote:
Letourneau, Ex-Pupil to Wed After Prison
February 14, 2005 4:18 PM EST

SEATTLE - Mary Kay Letourneau plans to marry the former sixth-grade pupil with whom she had two children, months after her release from prison for raping him, according to an online bridal registry.

Letourneau, 43, and Vili Fualaau, 22, set a wedding date of April 16, according to their registry at a department store. Letourneau served 7 1/2 years on a 1997 conviction for raping Fualaau, who has said in the past that he hoped to wed his former teacher.

"It's been long overdue," Noel Soriano, a friend of the couple, told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer in a story published Monday. "It's going to be fabulous, seeing them get hitched finally."

A lawyer for Fualaau and a friend of Letourneau did not immediately return calls Monday seeking further comment.

Letourneau was a 34-year-old married mother of four when she began a sexual relationship with her then-12-year-old elementary school student in 1996. She was pregnant with Fualaau's first child when she was arrested in 1997 and ordered to serve a six-month sentence for second-degree child rape.

One month after she was released, Letourneau was caught having sex with Fualaau in her car. She pleaded guilty in 1997 to two charges of child rape, and gave birth to the couple's second daughter while serving her 7 1/2-year sentence. Fualaau's mother is raising their two daughters, aged 6 and 7.

Shortly after Letourneau was released from prison last August, the pair successfully petitioned a judge to lift a no-contact order that had barred them from seeing each other.

Soriano said Fualaau proposed last fall, but the couple has been trying to keep wedding details a secret. Details are yet to be completed, but plans call for their daughters to be flower girls, he said.

"They have gone through a lot," Soriano said. "That they lasted this long proves how strong their love is."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,267 • Replies: 49
No top replies

gozmo

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 11:50 pm
Seems her intentions were honourable !!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 06:02 am
Hey, if the relationship lasted THIS long, I suppose that there is something to it. Good luck to the two of them.

I wonder how the guy will feel when he is 42, and she is 63? Time will tell!
0 Replies

gozmo

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 06:11 am
How will she feel, maybe like George Burns in his nineties worried about wearing out a younster.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 08:23 am
maybe NOW they are honorable...
but she was 34 when he was 12!

how in the world did she think she even had anything in common with a 12 yr old to maintain a relationship?
at 12..... he was still a baby, mentally and physically.

i dunno
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 08:24 am
But they haven't actually been in a relationship this whole time -- she's been in prison. They have had occasional contact, but that's different from being together, IMO.

Gives me the creeps. She shaped his emotions from when he was much too young to have proper control over them. If they are still in the shape she created, that's no less an abuse of her power.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 08:29 am
Bingo.

But to a 12 year old, sex IS a relationship, IF they are even able to comprehend that.
I remember at 12, I thought I was ' going out' with someone if I simple got a note from them in class...
I cant imagine what a child of 12 would think if he was actually having SEX with a grown woman.. let alone , his teacher.
Yeah, it is still a case of abuse. Unfortunatly he is too old for the state to step in anymore.

Just the fact that this womans mental state allowed her to not only pursue a 12 year old student of hers, but make her desire sex with the child is scary.
Even scarier, this woman has stayed in his life since then, remains a dominate figure over him and is now trying to become his wife.....

I tell you what..
Someone does that to my 12 year old and I will be the one sitting in jail. ! Confused
GRRRR
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 08:36 am
How long has she been in jail ?
until 1997?
then had sex with him again? and he was what.. maybe 13?
So even being in jail hasnt really kept her away from him .
I bet all this media frenzy has made this seem very important to that child. now that he is 22 it seems normal to him. I bet when he was 12-15 it was just.... " cool"
ggggrrrrrrrrr
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 08:52 am
well creepy ... for the reasons shewolf says ...
shewolfnm wrote:
Just the fact that this womans mental state allowed her to not only pursue a 12 year old student of hers, but make her desire sex with the child is scary.
Even scarier, this woman has stayed in his life since then, remains a dominate figure over him and is now trying to become his wife.....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 10:38 am
Verry creepy in the first place, and getting creepier.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 10:41 am
Crazy.
0 Replies

gozmo

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 03:03 pm
It fall s into place :

"Mary Kay underwent a series of court-ordered psychiatric examinations. Dr. Julia Moore found that Mary Kay had extreme mood swings and diagnosed her as suffering from bipolar disorder (formerly called manic-depression). The doctor prescribed mood-stabilizing drugs and psychotherapy."

http://www.crimelibrary.com/criminal_mind/psychology/marykay_letourneau/7.html?sect=19
0 Replies

Tenoch

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 03:10 pm
I remember seeing the woman in court begging the judge to take it easy on her and that she promised to never do it agian. She said she'll never talk to the boy and break off any relationship. Next thing you know they are having sex in a car the minute she gets out.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 03:33 pm
I remember a brief interview with the boy's mother several years ago right after the contempt-of-court, sex-in-the-car incident.

The woman was furious, first with Mary Kay, but secondly and more so with her son who had broken promises and lied to his parents.

Sex aside there are many ways that this woman contributed to the delinquincy of a minor.

I assume that the couple will get custody of their two children--who were raised up to this point by the boy's mother, the kids' paternal grandmother, a woman who is certainly entitled to strong opinions about her daughter-in-law.

I worry for those kids.
0 Replies

gozmo

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 03:54 pm
Oddly enough the boy's mother was unimpressed by the fuss and thought there was no need for a prosecution.

I suggest you read about this case before adding comment. The facts are stranger than the fictions appearing here.
0 Replies

Tenoch

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 04:43 pm
Also in the news there are two other women going to trial right now for sleeping with their middle school students. I saw them both on TV and they are both really really hot. Looks aside, we should treat these women just like we do male sex offendors. don't let them get off the hook just cause they are women.
0 Replies

gozmo

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 05:02 pm
It is ridiculous to suggest the women be treated like male offenders. They are female offenders and should be treated as such.

It is simplistic to equate sexual activity of older women with young men and that of older men with younger women. The consequences for the victim are not the same , the nature and psychology of the crimes are not the same. Apart from breaching the duty of care, the crimes are very different and warrant different responses.
0 Replies

Tenoch

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 05:45 pm
I think that the consequences of an older person abusing a younger person is equal reguardles of the gender of the victim. Little kids who sleep with teachers do not grow up without any scars.
0 Replies

gozmo

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 05:49 pm
Tenoch wrote:
I think that the consequences of an older person abusing a younger person is equal reguardles of the gender of the victim. Little kids who sleep with teachers do not grow up without any scars.

You may think or not think (as may be the case).

The fact is oranges are not apples.
0 Replies

Tenoch

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 05:59 pm
Of course gozmo. The circumstances are always different from case to case. I'm of course speaking generally.
0 Replies