Shooting back pains - what are they from?

littlek

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 07:31 pm
I used to be a gymnast and I continued flipping, springing, arialing until well past when I should still be doing those things. I have never found heating pads to be of much help. And, I can't never tell when I should use hot and when I should use cold. Hot showers are good, a massager I have is good, stretching is good...... One thing I've found to work well is a product called Bio Freeze. I dunno why it works, but it does seem to. My doc-in-training housemate says I should do physical therapy.

Mr Hamburger - I have heard about that neck crack - stroke thing and have asked med student housemates who had never heard of the correlation. I think that the chance of stroke, if there is any correlation, must be very very low. But, I am addicted to neck cracking, so I'm going to be a bit biased.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 07:41 pm
The chiro/stroke thing has been getting a lot of attention in Canada for the past couple of years.

http://www.canoe.ca/ChiroYork/home.html

I had some involvement as a rehabilitationist with one of the cases from the 1990's at that ^^^ link.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 08:12 pm
skimmed it and the page linked to it about the case dismissal. Interested and uncomfortable am I. How ever will I be able to relax at my next neck cracking?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 08:24 pm
The case dismissed was the one against the colleges.

The cases against the chiropractor proceeded - and were settled for a significant amount of money. There have been a number of these in Canada and the U.S. Chiropractors have a fairly powerful political lobby, but luckily the judges don't care too much about that.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 08:39 pm
Well, I'm still not entirely convinced. Sorry to say.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 10:39 pm
i won't let a chiro near me. i went to one once and he took x-rays and showed me where i had scoliosis. He recommended weekly treatments for a year. I was floored til I got a second opinion from an Ortho who said it was nonsense...but that's just me.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 10:41 pm
I feel good after seeing the chiro - doesn't that count?

Panzade, what did the ortho have to say about your back?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 11:22 pm
I am wary of chiros too, raised I was in orthopedic and rheumatologic research. That's just me, too. No way they'll touch my neck.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 11:05 am
littletek : our best physio (unless we have to see the pt) is our morning swim in municipal pool. since i easily get a stiff neck, i always move my head from one side to the other while swimming - you know : five strokes - head to the left, five strokes - head to the right and-so-on and-so-on ... i don't actually count all the time, but i do count if i forget to move my head. we certainly notice it when we haven't to the pool for a few days. hbg
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 11:14 am
I couldn't live without my chiro. What a lot of people don't understand is chiros help you get healthy and stay healthy. Instead of going to a doctor when I get sick I go to my chiro to stay healthy.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 09:52 pm
well JP, we seem to be the only ones who love our chiros.

Perhaps I should try whatever mainstream doctor type replaces a chiro.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 08:46 am
littlek wrote:
well JP, we seem to be the only ones who love our chiros.

Perhaps I should try whatever mainstream doctor type replaces a chiro.

Maybe you should just try another chiro. They don't all adjust the same way and finding the right one makes all the difference. My wife lived with back pian for awhile that was kept in check by regular visits... but it never got better. When we got married and she moved, she was forced to find a new chiro. Within 4 visits to the new guy, her back pain started going away. It wasn't that the other one was bad... he just did things a different way that didn't work as well. Three years later it is a rare day that her back ives her problems when it used to be the norm.

Go here: http://www.palmer.edu/ to find a good chiro in your area.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 06:32 pm
I love my chiro! He's the 2nd one I have seen here in this area and the 4th, maybe, I've ever been to. He is very good, so far as I can tell.
0 Replies