Shooting back pains - what are they from?

littlek

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 06:44 pm
I've developed shooting, sharp pangs in both my neck and my tailbone. They flare enough to make me want to fall over when I do something awkward (like hold a 30 pound kid away from my body) and they hurt more mildly all the time, sitting, standing, laid out (flat or with knees up). I don't feel like I have a knot in any muscles or any spinal stiffness.

I have a chiropractor who I just saw. Should I go back and see if he can fix it or should I, as my housemate suggests, go see my GP?

Who has experience anything like this? Anyone here?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,514 • Replies: 52
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 06:46 pm
I think you should see a GP first. He may recommend a chiropractor. It could be arthritis or any number of complaints. But see SOMEONE!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 06:47 pm
Mmmm, thanks Nick.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 06:56 pm
I feel your pain....

I always thought that people with back pain were making it up, that is until my back went out.
Call your GP or go to his/her office tomorrow. It's probably something muscular (meaning rest, pain relievers and muscle relaxants will do the the trick) but you need to be checked to see if there is any bone or structural damage.

PM me as soon as you are pain free or nearly so. I have a great routine for back pain that has helped me for years.

Tonight you need to rest, take three Advil every four hours and prepare to get to your GP's Office when they open the doors.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 07:01 pm
littlek- See a medical doctor first. If your problem is muscular, he may just suggest that you see a chiropractor. But don't put the cart before the horse.

There are many fine chiropractors. The problem is that a number of them are blithely unaware of their own limitations in diagnosing disease. If the problem is something that chiropractic won't help, delaying medical treatment may cause you more problems down the line.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 07:04 pm
Well, I'll see what I can do. As always, getting myself off the clock means making someone else off the clock.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 07:15 pm
Hmm.. I only had "shooting" pains (from muscle spasms) when I first screwed my lower back up. Now I get some mild localized pains when I over-do things now and then.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 07:24 pm
That's worrying, k. Do let us know what your GP makes of it. Good luck, I hope it's nothing too serious.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 07:26 pm
The problem is this. I have way more respect for my chirpractor than I do for my GP. I had a horrendous neck spasm a couple years ago and the GP scripted me some meds and sent me on my way. Before I left I asked her about chiropractics and such - I don't remember how, but we decided that I could/should go see one of the resident chiros. After taking public transit to the Fenway on serious drugs to get the the rez chiro, she turned out to be worse than my GP. She said she couldn't help me.

I just called my sister, who for those who don't know is also my boss, and she gave no indication that she'd consider giving me the day off.

So, all in all, I think I'll go to the chiro tomorrow, if he can't help, I'll go to my GP or find a new one to go to.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 07:37 pm
A very disappointing response from your sister, k. Sad You shouldn't have to ask. When you're unwell, you're unwell. <sigh>

Yep, seriously consider a new GP. One that you feel more confident about using, long-term. Any recommendations from friends in your area?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 07:41 pm
Get a new GP and change sisters.

I had the lower back thing, but not the neck some years ago. I finally deduced it was from driving for over a week in a car with a worn out seat. You would have mentioned starting up yoga again, or anything like that, wouldn't you?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 07:41 pm
Could be a pinched nerve or sciatica. My father has some lower back pain that is bad, but he flipped a tractor on himself once. Have you been wrestling heavy equipment lately?

And are you going to be sending your sister a birthday card this year?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 07:42 pm
We are so saturated by medical types in this area that everyone has a recommendation. I asked someone who works at one of the good local hospitals - she didn't jump in with any specific names. When I was picking names from the list (I had dozens of docs to choose from), I almost chose one doctor because her name was funny. Turns out that I've heard her do interviews on NPR - she champions health care reform.

Maybe I'll try to get in with her.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 07:42 pm
I had that sort of problem alot when I was working. I was working sometimes 14 hrs .My job was alot of lifting, shifting to wierd positions and bending over. I worked with alzheimers patients.....if that gives you an idea of the type of back strain I had...
Mine turned out to be syadic nerve damage.
It starts at the base of the spine/almost to the tail bone. Left untreated can cause pains in the hips/top of your legs.
http://www.spine-health.com/topics/cd/sciatica/sciatic_nerve01.html

Read this. It may help if you think that is what is going on with you.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 07:43 pm
roger wrote:
Get a new GP and change sisters.

Laughing I love the direct approach! No mucking about, roger! Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 07:44 pm
littlek wrote:
We are so saturated by medical types in this area that everyone has a recommendation. I asked someone who works at one of the good local hospitals - she didn't jump in with any specific names. When I was picking names from the list (I had dozens of docs to choose from), I almost chose one doctor because her name was funny. Turns out that I've heard her do interviews on NPR - she champions health care reform.

Maybe I'll try to get in with her.

Sounds promising! Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 07:45 pm
Here's hoping littlek heard Roger. Confused
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 07:49 pm
hehehehe, good one roger! I have been doing the chiro's neck excersizes - they work strength and flexibility - but haven't gotten all the way back into yoga. I do need to, thanks for the reminder.

And, she already had her birthday, Mr Stillwater.

My doc-in-training housemate just tested for sciatic nerve and slipped disc problems. I think it was both.

My sister measures everyone in her life up to herself, she doesn't take sick days. Also, she just had the shooting pain thing (it's contagious!) and worked right through it, then came home to the same kids I care for.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 07:49 pm
Yes!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 07:51 pm
of course, my sister also can't take care of both of her own kids all day without help, so.....
0 Replies