Shooting back pains - what are they from?

msolga

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 07:52 pm
Yes!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 07:55 pm
You're also her employee, k, not just her sister. If you were employed by a company you'd take the day off, because that's what you need to do. You shouldn't be expected to endure back pain all day at work, whatever the circumstances of your employment.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 07:55 pm
Oops, when my doc-in-training checked for those things she said she thought it was neither - my above post is ambiguous.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 07:57 pm
Doc in training...
Sister boss..

sounds like your back pain is stress related
or is that an understatement? ;-)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 07:58 pm
yes, it's a tricky line we walk and I'm usually the one off-balance.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 08:11 pm
shewolf - I dunno - I always feel I never feel the stress until I am crippled by it (mentally or physically), but I don't think I'm that stressed out (mentally) right now. I have the kids' cold, HM#2 is being nutty, the sidewlks are slippery-slidy and the shoveled paths are too narrow for a stroller. My guess is that this back pain is a combo of shoveling out 3' of snow and carrying 30 pound baby on slippery sidewalks.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 08:17 pm
littlek wrote:
I have the kids' cold .... My guess is that this back pain is a combo of shoveling out 3' of snow and carrying 30 pound baby on slippery sidewalks.

That's what's called a work-related injury (the back)/illness (the cold).
Gets complicated doesn't it? You need a union, k! :wink:
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 09:52 pm
If it is arthritis, I recommend Glucosamine/Chonrdroitin. I had arthritis in my knees for 17 years and it was nearly debilitating. I am happy to say I have been pain free for 7 years and I only take the stuff about once a week now.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 02:25 am
Ok, sister is good thing. You can get a spine transplant - you will need to forge some documents, but we will help you. Getting her into a non-recoverable coma is harder. You will need some pills.. a hammer... Gus... power of attorney... a case of beer... some rum.. and at least $10,000 in small, unmarked notes.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 05:00 pm
hmmmmmm, I'll keep that list in mind, Stillwater.

My back feels almost entirely normal, with no shooting pains - I decided to go with my chiro and he didn't let me down. There's ais still a slight ache in the area, but no major pain and no shooting needles.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 05:56 am
That's good, k! Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 05:36 pm
It is MsOlga!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 06:43 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 06:44 pm
Very Happy

.. and I hope it stays that way!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 06:50 pm
Now what is Ms K going to do to prevent a recurrence.

Did the chiro give you some exercises to do at home to strengthen the muscles that support your back?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 07:59 pm
littletek : mrs h has suffered with backproblems for quite a few years (and i've joyned her know - old age and bad posture). we have found that a good physiotherapist can do great work. our pt recommends that we get an x-ray every few years to check for spinal mis-alignments, spurs (calcium deposit). have you had an x-ray of the spine/lower back lately ? good luck ! hbg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 10:29 pm
littlek wrote:
shewolf - I dunno - I always feel I never feel the stress until I am crippled by it (mentally or physically), but I don't think I'm that stressed out (mentally) right now. I have the kids' cold, HM#2 is being nutty, the sidewlks are slippery-slidy and the shoveled paths are too narrow for a stroller. My guess is that this back pain is a combo of shoveling out 3' of snow and carrying 30 pound baby on slippery sidewalks.

Embarrassed
Im sorry, I didnt mean to sound like I was trying to pass off your pain.
I was simply following the lead of the thread and in my strange way agreeing that your sister needs to lighten up and let you take care of yourself. Embarrassed
Laughing

Yes, carrying a kid around hurts the back, thighs, head, neck, almost every muscle the human body has..
Hopefully, your sister can find it in her heart,( and schedule ) to give you some time off so that you can rest and heal. Unfortunatly back pains never go away if you dont stop doing what caused it in the first place ...
( lifting heavy baby off floor, chair, table , window , ceiling!! Laughing )
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 10:57 pm
Bethiepoo - I have a booklet with stretches that he recommended for my neck (which is the chronic area), I think it has lower back excercises too. I should just do ALL the excercises in the book.

Papa Bethiepoo - thanks for dropping in. The current chiro exrayed my neck and back before he did any major work on my spine. I'd rather not get more unless I need to! Some how, I can't see you and Mama Bethiepoo having bad posture.

Shewolf - you've had to lift your baby off the ceiling too? I thought it was just me. I took absolutely no offense to your comments. Lifting baby in and out of the car and on icy sidewalks is the bulk of the troublt. And carrying him while he had his last cold - he didn't want to be put down for a week, and if I sat while holding him, it just wasn't the same.

The key, as Beth suggests, is stretching and strengthening muscles which support your spine. That's sort of like cross training, playing against the baby carrying. My back still isn't 100%, but I also still haven't had any shooting pains.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 11:03 am
littletek : our physiotherapist always has us do the (initial) exercises in his office to make sure we are doing it the right way. he also told us (many times) that if any exercise causes pain TO STOP IT . he doesn't believe in : 'no pain, no gain'; he says that if an exercise hurts, the body is telling you something. (btw our family physician and our pt have warned us to NEVER have a neck manipulation done because one could invite a stroke). you might also try a heating pack (on LOW heat) or a coldpack; mrs h and i can't tolerate a coldpack, but find that a heating pack usually gives some temporary relief. GOOD LUCK !!! hbg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 11:13 am
Do you do any kind of heat therapy lk?
That would help too. Just not too much though. Maybe about 30 mintes before you do any stretching or working on the muscle will help tons!
and it feels wonderful!
0 Replies