Workout Plans for the very out of shape

hoiley

Thu 1 Mar, 2018 08:28 am
Prior to a few weeks ago, I lived a life of laziness and pizza. I've been doing pretty well so far (lost 17 lbs) but I've pretty much just been stretching and walking/jogging around a lot and eating healthy. I'd like more from my workouts. I find I get really discouraged because I'm VERY out of shape so most workouts, even basic ones, are very difficult for me. Difficult, as in I physically cannot do them without hurting myself. (I fall over when I do body weight squats, man.)

Anyway, so I don't think I'm quite ready for the gym or classes with other people yet - physically or emotionally (self-consciousness and all)... so I'd like to start a more organized and focused workout plan that I can do at home alone. I find that I am more motivated to do workouts properly when I have a very clear set of steps and goals. I was thinking something along the lines of bodyboss.com's program with the 4-week pre-training and then the 12-week program, but it's kind of expensive and I don't want to get conned by some plan that's too good to be true. I'm willing to spend that kind of money I guess, but I just want to be careful. I've tried to come up with my own workout plan but I don't usually stick to it because it's not organized well because I don't really know what I'm doing. So any tips or suggestions of clear, organized, and thorough workout plans that are good for VERY basic beginners would be great!

I'm female, 5'9", currently 263lbs.

Region Philbis

Thu 1 Mar, 2018 08:49 am
@hoiley,
Quote:
stretching and walking/jogging around a lot and eating healthy
this is a good start.

i read recently that one of the reasons it is so difficult for people to lose weight is that rapid weight loss fools your body
into thinking that there's something wrong, thus slowing down your metabolism...
0 Replies

jespah

Thu 1 Mar, 2018 12:52 pm
@hoiley,
First off, you're doing great!

A few ideas:
  • I've got stability issues due to bad knees. I use a stability ball. You might find one helpful, too. Mine is apparently a "medium" size at 65 cm, which is about 25 1/2 inches. You might need to size up because you're taller than I am (I'm 5'6"). That might make it easier to do squats (you do a squat with a stability ball by sticking the ball behind your back and against the wall and then squatting and rising; this keeps you from slipping).
  • Another thing is weights. You can - and should - start small. There are lots of tutorials on YouTube which give you an idea of how to lift. You're going for fairly slow and perfect form, rather than as fast as possible in order to cram in as many reps as possible. Can't recall where I heard this, but 12 reps is good when you're lifting the right size weights. You should feel tired at the end, like you can't do another rep.
  • I also use resistance bands. They are pretty easy to use. Again, there are basic tutorials on YouTube. One big advantage with bands is that you can take them with you anywhere. They're lightweight and flexible so you can just stuff them into a suitcase.
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 1 Mar, 2018 03:47 pm
@hoiley,
I lost a batch too, but rather slowly. Over a yar it was about 30 pounds and two yers its been about a total of 40. I started with the locl approach then the pleo. Now Im living firly non stressful (ffodwise) life and just wat a great brekfst moderate lunch and wee supper(I cheat once and a while).

I got one of those fit bits and attempt to up my exercise levels month by month.
Try to lose it no faster tha you gained it.I know thats impossible so try to keep the rate of weight loss reasonable. I really like the fit bit and Ive only lost 2.
0 Replies

chambergirl

Sun 22 Apr, 2018 04:25 am
@hoiley,
I think a lot of people always say they need to "get into shape" before starting to attend classes. The best way to do it is to just show up to the classes! You do your best to keep up, but if it is your first time I don't think anyone will really expect them to keep up. Everyone started exactly where you are at some point. Just go do it, enjoy it, and make some friends there to keep you motivated!
0 Replies

TomSterling

Tue 19 Jun, 2018 12:30 am
@hoiley,
You have been stretching and walking/jogging around a lot and eating healthy. That's really good. You can also add swimming in it. It will help you lose some fats. If you don't think that you are ready for gym. Don't go for any website. Just go to local gym and start doing normal workout. When you will get use to it. Then just keep doing heavy workout. Remember one thing, weight gain is depended on diet only also weight loss is depended on diet only.
jespah

Tue 19 Jun, 2018 06:06 am
@TomSterling,
No, that's not true. Weight gain and loss depend on diet, yes, but that's not the only thing. They are dependent on exercise, metabolism, salt intake, and probably a ton of other things we don't know yet.
maporsche

Wed 20 Jun, 2018 08:41 am
@jespah,
I think the general professional consensus is for people who are dieting to focus primarily on their food INTAKE. Exercise is good for many reasons, but it is one of the worst things to focus on if the goal is simply losing weight.

You could walk for 3 hours and not even burn off the calories in a single Big Mac.

I’d add in weight lifting. Just go and learn how to use the machines for now. You won’t need anything more advanced for a couple years. I’d only add in weightlifting if it is additional exercise time. I would not reduce your walking routine.
jespah

Wed 20 Jun, 2018 11:33 am
@maporsche,
You know I do this stuff, yes?

I agree that intake is large and probably primary. Main thing I'm against is statements which say it's just one thing. It never is.
maporsche

Wed 20 Jun, 2018 11:37 am
@jespah,
I didn’t know that but it wouldn’t have changed my comment.

A lot of people overestimate the caloric burn exercise does and to focus on that instead of diet is counterproductive (you know this but others might not).

If one exercises too much it could be really counter productive if it causes them to eat more.
jespah

Wed 20 Jun, 2018 12:14 pm
@maporsche,
Agreed, and exercising too much can also be truly negative if someone is injured or if they are just in such pain afterwards it turns them off to exercising at all.

A lot of folks also don't do weight training. Women may feel it'll bulk them up in some odd way, but that's not going to happen to the vast, vast majority of people.
chai2

Wed 20 Jun, 2018 12:31 pm
@jespah,
A couple other things to add about exercise.

Sure it may literally take 3 hours of walking to burn off a big mac, but of course we're all aware that muscle weighs more than fat, so over time you may actually not gain or lose, but will be thinner. In addition, the effects of exercise last past the actual movement phase, and we're burning more calories for awhile after we stop exercising.

In addtion, after that walk, your mood may be better, you feel more positive about your goal, so choose not to eat that big mac and eat a little less of something else that has more oomph for you.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 20 Jun, 2018 12:36 pm
@TomSterling,
TomSterling wrote:
You can also add swimming in it.

this consistently makes the biggest difference for me

I was up to about 8 - 10 hours of various types of fitness activity a week - maintained it for close to a decade. Changing eating habits changed my weight a bit but not to a significant degree. Added 2 hours of swimming a week. Boom. The weight started to slide off. It was almost funny. Dropped most of the other fitness activities (I still walk quite a bit, that is a basic when you have dogs), kept swimming ... the weight loss and body reshaping has continued.
ehBeth

Wed 20 Jun, 2018 12:41 pm
@ehBeth,
One of the weird side effects (IMNSHO) is how much stronger I am.

I was volunteering at a film festival a little while back and we were prepping some stuff - I was the only one in the group who could move a metal newspaper box. The guys kept saying it was impossible and couldn't budge it- I didn't mention I'd already moved it a bit, went over, lifted it and moved it to where it needed to be. They couldn't believe what the little old lady did.
0 Replies

TMiles

Mon 16 Jul, 2018 03:42 am
@hoiley,
You need a great motivation to get in shape!
And you must have strong willpower!
0 Replies