0

Workout Plans for the very out of shape

hoiley

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2018 08:28 am
Prior to a few weeks ago, I lived a life of laziness and pizza. I've been doing pretty well so far (lost 17 lbs) but I've pretty much just been stretching and walking/jogging around a lot and eating healthy. I'd like more from my workouts. I find I get really discouraged because I'm VERY out of shape so most workouts, even basic ones, are very difficult for me. Difficult, as in I physically cannot do them without hurting myself. (I fall over when I do body weight squats, man.)

Anyway, so I don't think I'm quite ready for the gym or classes with other people yet - physically or emotionally (self-consciousness and all)... so I'd like to start a more organized and focused workout plan that I can do at home alone. I find that I am more motivated to do workouts properly when I have a very clear set of steps and goals. I was thinking something along the lines of bodyboss.com's program with the 4-week pre-training and then the 12-week program, but it's kind of expensive and I don't want to get conned by some plan that's too good to be true. I'm willing to spend that kind of money I guess, but I just want to be careful. I've tried to come up with my own workout plan but I don't usually stick to it because it's not organized well because I don't really know what I'm doing. So any tips or suggestions of clear, organized, and thorough workout plans that are good for VERY basic beginners would be great!

I'm female, 5'9", currently 263lbs.
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 298 • Replies: 4

Region Philbis

1  
Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2018 08:49 am
@hoiley,
stretching and walking/jogging around a lot and eating healthy
this is a good start.

i read recently that one of the reasons it is so difficult for people to lose weight is that rapid weight loss fools your body
into thinking that there's something wrong, thus slowing down your metabolism...

2  
Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2018 12:52 pm
@hoiley,
First off, you're doing great!

A few ideas:
  • I've got stability issues due to bad knees. I use a stability ball. You might find one helpful, too. Mine is apparently a "medium" size at 65 cm, which is about 25 1/2 inches. You might need to size up because you're taller than I am (I'm 5'6"). That might make it easier to do squats (you do a squat with a stability ball by sticking the ball behind your back and against the wall and then squatting and rising; this keeps you from slipping).
  • Another thing is weights. You can - and should - start small. There are lots of tutorials on YouTube which give you an idea of how to lift. You're going for fairly slow and perfect form, rather than as fast as possible in order to cram in as many reps as possible. Can't recall where I heard this, but 12 reps is good when you're lifting the right size weights. You should feel tired at the end, like you can't do another rep.
  • I also use resistance bands. They are pretty easy to use. Again, there are basic tutorials on YouTube. One big advantage with bands is that you can take them with you anywhere. They're lightweight and flexible so you can just stuff them into a suitcase.

1  
Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2018 03:47 pm
@hoiley,
I lost a batch too, but rather slowly. Over a yar it was about 30 pounds and two yers its been about a total of 40. I started with the locl approach then the pleo. Now Im living firly non stressful (ffodwise) life and just wat a great brekfst moderate lunch and wee supper(I cheat once and a while).

I got one of those fit bits and attempt to up my exercise levels month by month.
Try to lose it no faster tha you gained it.I know thats impossible so try to keep the rate of weight loss reasonable. I really like the fit bit and Ive only lost 2.

chambergirl

1  
Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2018 04:25 am
@hoiley,
I think a lot of people always say they need to "get into shape" before starting to attend classes. The best way to do it is to just show up to the classes! You do your best to keep up, but if it is your first time I don't think anyone will really expect them to keep up. Everyone started exactly where you are at some point. Just go do it, enjoy it, and make some friends there to keep you motivated!