My nose won't stop bleeding.

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 09:34 pm
well, the website that ehbeth posted said it usually is lack of vitamin K. dunno about that, i just load up on C. your multivitamins probably don't have enough. when i'm sick or sickly, i take over 1000 mg a day.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 09:36 pm
Oh wait, I think...yeah, it stopped. Finally! Damn that **** was bleeding for over a half an hour! DAMN!

What a pain in the ass it is to keep yourself alive and healthy.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 09:37 pm
ok

now that you've looked at the 911, i'm gonna tell ya what i think

i was going to just say it - but i thought a tip sheet first might help

i think the crap at work is probably having an effect on your blood pressure - which is what's making the nose bleeds particularly bad this season

get the bigger humidifier, do all the other good stuff - and think of what that job is doing to you

and 15 minutes - you're supposed to go to emerg

mrs hamburger had to go into emerg a few times a number of years ago - cauterization was the only thing that stopped the bleeding - you may need to have it done again

stupid job
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 09:39 pm
vitamin c's not much use for this sort of thing - potassium/K is the one here

and ya gotta be careful not to overdose on the c - can cause more problems than it solves - the c found in a multi is more than enough for most people
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 09:40 pm
the excess of c vitamin is just peed out. body doesn't process more then certain amount, rest goes away naturally. cancer patients get up to 8,000 mg a day. dunno, works for me.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 09:41 pm
Listen to Dag, even though I'm not sure how much Vitamin C will help nosebleeds.

Your multi probably has between 200-500mg of Vitamin C?

1000mg is a good dose to keep the immune system up. It does make a difference...too bad I'm too lazy to take them daily.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 09:46 pm
Oh crap! Slappy's back? How was your bidness trip?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 09:47 pm
Wait! Vitamin C causes you to become more dehydrated BECAUSE you pee the excess out. Make sure not to exceed 1000mg - maybe take less. And, tonight, put a big pot of water to boil on the stove - NOW.

Also, you might want to try a simple saline spray - a couple shots a day should help. Only when you're needing it though. just don't wait until you have a nose bleed to realize you need it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 09:48 pm
Oh yeah - make sure to drink your water, don't just inhale it.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 09:53 pm
kickycan wrote:
Oh crap! Slappy's back? How was your bidness trip?

Good times. Even the convention was a big hit, except my feet were in so much pain at one point it would shoot jolts of pain up my body...one day I stood from 8-5, sat for maybe a total of 1/2 hour.

Bourbon St is awesome, I wish it would come to Boston.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 09:54 pm
from standing?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 09:55 pm
Yes.

It was my shoes. When I went back to the hotel and changed into my sneakers and went back out, I was fine.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 09:58 pm
Slappy wears metrosexual shoes?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 10:01 pm
why did you have to stand so much? and i get tired at conferences. if i had to stand through them, i'd never go to one again!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 10:01 pm
he does, and metrosexual shirts.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 10:04 pm
My company had a huge booth with about 40 people working...my job was to grab decision makers, pre-qualify, and get them to sit down for product demos. It was actually fun and very competitive because we got bonuses for being the top in generating customers who we closed deals with. We were pretty much non-stop.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 10:06 pm
and thankgod for the comeback of your old avatar!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 10:23 pm
I've both visited convention center booths and manned them (womaned them) as a land arch and before that as a lab tech, and my feet always kill me, kill me - it's the standing on concrete.. no matter what the shoe. For my feet, anyway.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 10:26 pm
Back on the nose business -

• Press your finger between your lip and gum, pressing upward against the nose. Variations of this remedy are to place a rolled up piece of a brown paper bag, paper towel or gauze, a dime, or a tree leaf in the same position. There is a blood vessel that runs under the upper lip, and these techniques cut down the blood flow and allow the blood to clot.

That's the one I learned as a kid, once you have a nosebleed. It worked. I did have to have that cauterized... it was from a hit with a very solid red rubber ball. I don't even want to think about it.... might even explain why I am the way I am..

Plus, of course, I agree on the humidity. Nix on the C as a curative for this.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 11:36 pm
you take a lot of aspirin for hangovers. Aspirin can cause nosebleed affinities to materialize. When I drank professionally, I was always either getting hung over or just getting over being hung over. I once took about 8 pairs of aspirin in a 8 hour period and was bleeding a fountain through my nose. It took days to get ove.

Every time I work in many western states I get nosebleeds from the dryness. I used to carry Blood Stopper (get it at your gym) and put it on cotton and jam it up there
0 Replies