The Left Wing, On NBC

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 10:43 am
Imagine a TV show that is centered on a Nike outlet in a shopping mall. All the main characters are upstanding, likeable, honest and sincere, idealists. Across the hall is a cesspool of nefarious intrigue, filled with characters that are devious, ruthless, manipulative, untrustworthy and plain stupid. They all work in the Reebok outlet. I imagine critics might say that such a show would amount to little more than a rather novel advertising campaign.

I, personally, am a great fan of NBC's "The West Wing". I think the actors are first-rate, the plots filled with remarkable story-telling power, and the show is a heaven sent relief from the dismally uncreative and pathetic reality TV offerings that have innundated our airwaves for the last couple of years. However, one thing that is glaringly persistant as this show is halfway through its sixth season is just how firmly entrenched the producers and writers are in the wide expanse of the political left.

Aaron Sorkin is a phenomenal writer. I became a clear convert after his spectacular work writing "A Few Good Men". Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on how you want to look at it, he feels the need to saturate his show with what could be described as straight liberal propaganda. His fictional president, and the president's staff, never fail to defend and champion the most liberal and leftist values, opinions, and attitudes out there in the American political panorama. Between Toby, Sam, C.J., Josh, or the president himself there is always a dialogue or scene where the protagonists debate - and ultimately agree with - the strictest gun control, homosexual rights, the curtailing of American military power, the plight of those not directly helped by the federal government, and the insidious evil of their Republican opponents. While the writers of this show, like any good propaganda czars, always throw in token arguments from the right, and even in a couple of seasons "sympatheic" Republican characters, this palls in comparison to the tremendous bias and active proselytization they conduct for the liberal cause.

While I will always enjoy the show, and never cease to watch, I think it's sad that Hollywood so flagrantly waves political flags in what otherwise, at least to me, would be an almost perfect piece of modern art. It is tongue-in-cheek in its message, but since it's so enjoyable I guess I'm stuck in the sixth season of a novel political advertisement.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,384 • Replies: 118
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 10:58 am
Isn't the prez on that show a liberal?

Wouldn't that explain why they are always picking liberal concepts?

Just a thought.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 11:21 am
Shouldn't this be in the t.v. forum?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 11:29 am
Well, yes, it might be posted in the TV forum but it's really a crossover topic. Not sure whether the moderators would elect to move it.

Are there any conservative writers out there who could create and write a TV show? Are they genetically bereft of talent in this area? Are they just not talented people period? Obviously talented in the political arena but so was Clinton. There was a post in the art forum trying to come up with a famous painter who is in major museum and is a political conservative (or Republican). It was a dead end.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 11:31 am
(I'm waiting for someone to come up with the dead horse that there's no financing for such writers, directors, et al, a strawman argument if I ever saw one and not-to-mention that such a show would necessarily be dull, dull, dull).
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 11:48 am
Those that can do... those that can't write tv shows.

Sorry LW... I couldn't resist Very Happy
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 11:50 am
Unless the CAN we're talking about IS writing TV shows.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 11:54 am
Yeah... I'd much rather write tv shows then become president of the United States, too. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 11:54 am
Anyone tried to read a novel written by an avowed conservative? Gives a new meaning to pulp fiction.

Not the point that someone chooses the career of a politician over, say, a continued career in "acting," as well as writing TV shows.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 11:57 am
Quote:
Yeah... I'd much rather write tv shows then become president of the United States, too.

I certainly would. You'd seriously want to be the president? No thank you.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 12:01 pm
It takes a unique meglomaniac to want to become President and one who doesn't really need talent but lots of money.

Name a documentary written by a conservative which was a box office and critical success as well as winning numerous awards.

It's not only TV writing where there is no talent involved from the right.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 12:03 pm
Conservatives /= creatives?

I suppose the 'stick to the working plan, don't rock the boat' mentality doesn't exactly lead to breakthroughs in artistic expression.

Though perhaps it's a societal thing; there are, for example, many Japanese artists who would have been considered quite conservative politically.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 12:11 pm
Conservative humor is an oxymoron so I suppose you could take that one step further with creative conservative being an oxymoron.

Hogasai, Utamuro, Hiroshigi -- which of these are politically conservative?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 12:12 pm
I have to admit that one of my critiques of the conservatives is that they fail time and time again to be creative. All the while we have lefties organizing mass attempts to disrupt conventions, repelling off of building to hang huge banners and get on the news and hollywood mouthpieces that make documentaries and proclaim it the truth.

I console myself by understanding that creativity or being funny has absolutely nothing to do with being "right."
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 12:12 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Anyone tried to read a novel written by an avowed conservative? Gives a new meaning to pulp fiction.

Not the point that someone chooses the career of a politician over, say, a continued career in "acting," as well as writing TV shows.

I believe Michael Crichton is "an avowed conservative". He seems to sell and write a lot of rather popular material.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 12:15 pm
Where do you find that Chrichton is a conservative? Link, please? Popular novels are not written by the most talented writers to begin with.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 12:16 pm
I also think Clint Eastwood leans right. Pretty accomplished director.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 12:18 pm
Tom Clancy and Louis L'amour too.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 12:18 pm
Um.

Well, it certainly wasn't Hogasai.

Utamaro was something of a, well, the kids would say 'player.' So we can't really count him either.

I would say it's Hiroshige; while he had a huge body of work, none of it was particularly ground-breaking or new. I guess I don't know much about his political life.

Though I guess I was thinking more of the older-style art of Japan; poetry.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 12:21 pm
Oh, and speaking of pulp fiction, don't forget Mickey Spillane.
0 Replies