Lightwizard

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 08:13 am
What's next -- rabbits?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 01:16 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Europe as the EU is now configured.

According to UN projections Europe's population will drop from 728 million in 2000 to 630 million in 2050.

In 2015 Europe's population will have fallen by 3.5% from what it is today.

a) Europe isn't just the EU - there are twice as much countries on the continent than members of the EU.

b) I don't doubt that. Do you know by any change the population rate per square km/per square mile of the EU compared to the e.g. USA?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 01:19 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

I suspect that between now and then we will see a resurgence of the right wing nationalism in Europe, and if neo-con efforts to spread democracy throughout the Middle East do not reach fruition, there will be hell to pay in 2050.

Well, it's sounds a bit of funny, when one right wing suspects the increase of right wings elsewhere.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 10:51 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

I suspect that between now and then we will see a resurgence of the right wing nationalism in Europe, and if neo-con efforts to spread democracy throughout the Middle East do not reach fruition, there will be hell to pay in 2050.

Well, it's sounds a bit of funny, when one right wing suspects the increase of right wings elsewhere.

Then have yourself a good laugh Walter.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 10:55 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Europe as the EU is now configured.

According to UN projections Europe's population will drop from 728 million in 2000 to 630 million in 2050.

In 2015 Europe's population will have fallen by 3.5% from what it is today.

a) Europe isn't just the EU - there are twice as much countries on the continent than members of the EU.

Pardon me. I should have used "Old Europe."

b) I don't doubt that. Do you know by any change the population rate per square km/per square mile of the EU compared to the e.g. USA?

No, do you? I do know that the birth rate in the US is not on a decline like it is in the EU aka Old Europe, aka Chocolate Makers. And if it were, so what? The majority of immigrants into the US are latinos, not muslims. Two entirely different dynamics.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 10:00 am
Like I stated, we need those extra babies so they can grow up, fight, get maimed and die in unnecessary foreign wars.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 02:40 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

No, do you?

I doubt that I would have posed a question about something I know already.

Nevertheless: thanks for your kind response.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 07:07 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

No, do you?

I doubt that I would have posed a question about something I know already.

Nevertheless: thanks for your kind response.

Perhaps the concepts of rhetorical questions and sarcasm is no longer understood in the lands of their birth.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 08:59 pm
Quote:
What this is really about is Blatham having claimed that Europeans lived a great deal better than Americans.

Curious that I don't recall having written this. Could you find the passage you have in mind, please. Full quote if you don't mind.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 08:55 am
Good luck -- don't believe he will be able to find it.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 06:32 am
I have found some numbers on population in Europe and the US...
However Data for the EU-15 are for 2003, before 10 more countries joined the Union on May 1 2004.
Here we go:

EU-15: 120 persons per square kilometre

USA: 29 persons per square kilometre

I don't have exact numbers on the 10 new members, but in general, the figure seems to be lower than the EU-15 average.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 12:29 pm
old europe wrote:
I have found some numbers on population in Europe and the US...
However Data for the EU-15 are for 2003, before 10 more countries joined the Union on May 1 2004.
Here we go:

EU-15: 120 persons per square kilometre

USA: 29 persons per square kilometre

I don't have exact numbers on the 10 new members, but in general, the figure seems to be lower than the EU-15 average.

Thank you, but I'm not sure how these numbers relate to the discussion.

I doubt anyone is surprised that population density is greater in Europe than the US.

The relevant demographic trends are the declining birth rate among non-Muslim Europeans and the increasing birth rate for Muslim Europeans.

Comparable trends in the US are irrelevant due to the very small % of Americans who are Muslims. There are comparable trends concerning "White" and "Latino" Americans, but the cultural factors involved are vastly different from those in play in Europe.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 12:53 pm
Quote:
Comparable trends in the US are irrelevant due to the very small % of Americans who are Muslims. There are comparable trends concerning "White" and "Latino" Americans, but the cultural factors involved are vastly different from those in play in Europe.

I think problems arise whenever you are trying (or not trying) to integrate a different ethnical group, be they Hispanic or Muslims.
Unless you are claiming that ALL Muslims are potential terrorists just because they are Muslims, I can't see the vast difference between the US and the EU.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 12:59 pm
old europe

I suppose that ALL Hispanics are illegals is only half as worse as ALL Muslims being terrorists. :wink:

Seriously, I only can support your facts.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 01:05 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

The relevant demographic trends are the declining birth rate among non-Muslim Europeans and the increasing birth rate for Muslim Europeans.

Could you, please, document this?

The net amount of Muslims in Europe is increasing but their birth rate tends to follow that of other Europeans.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 01:06 pm
interesting question Walter
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 01:15 pm
Francis wrote:

The net amount of Muslims in Europe is increasing but their birth rate tends to follow that of other Europeans.

I wonder when someone arises the questions about the dangerous non-believers: more than ΒΌ of all Germans belong to this group.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 01:38 pm
And the dangerous A2K non-believers : they are at least three Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 01:40 pm
Morituri te salutant!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 02:30 pm
Bravo and amen!