24 Hours: Iraq Votes.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 03:59 pm
Quote:
Iraqi officials say no results or turnout figure expected soon
Sunday January 30, 2005
By MARIAM FAM
Associated Press Writer
BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) Preliminary results from Iraq's historic election could come as early as Monday, Iraqi officials said Sunday. But final results and an accurate estimate of turnout could take up to 10 days.

Election workers began counting the ballots at polling centers Sunday night after polls had closed, and they were expected to continue throughout the night, officials said. Figures will then be transmitted to a central clearing house in Baghdad, and only then compiled and later released.

Confusion over turnout was widespread Sunday, after the Iraqi electoral commission first announced a whopping 72 percent voter turnout. But they then acknowledged the figure was based only on guesses, and officials quickly backtracked.

``These figures are only very rough, word-of-mouth estimates gathered informally from the field,'' the commission said in a statement late Sunday.

However, the commission said it did believe, based on that anecdotal information, that turnout had exceeded expectations around the country.

The commission had estimated before the vote that about 8 million people or about 57 percent of the country's 14 million eligible voters would cast ballots.

The issue of turnout especially among the country's Sunni Arab minority is highly sensitive. Insurgents and some hardline clerics had called on Sunnis to stay away from the polls, and low Sunni participation could be seen as a victory for the rebels.

The report of 72 percent turnout came from Adel al-Lami, an official with the Independent Elections Committee. He told reporters the figure at mid-day as reports of brisk voting started trickling in.

But when journalists questioned him further about the figure, he and other Iraqi officials quickly backed off.

The top U.N. adviser to the Iraqi election commission, Carlos Valenzuela, said the turnout estimate had been based on nothing more than anecdotal information, or ``impressionistic approximations.''

Commission spokesman Farid Ayar said the initial estimate was based on polling station estimates of voter flow and line lengths, not on actual voting numbers.

Coming up with numbers for the two Sunni provinces where turnout was thought low Anbar and Ninevah might require considerable time because some residents there probably voted outside their provinces, election officials said.

For instance, three voting centers in Baghdad were set up for people from Anbar who had been displaced by the November U.S. assault on the city of Fallujah.

Voters in the different provinces were not asked when they voted whether they were Sunnis or Shiites, so an estimate of Sunni turnout alone might be hard to reach, officials said.

The United Nations is unlikely to come up with its own turnout numbers or evaluate those of the commission, one U.N. official said.
Source
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 04:11 pm
Did you see them in the street, dancing? All over Iraq. Dancing in the street.

Our military did an unbelieveable job shutting down terrorists.

I really thought it would be much worse today.

I saw three men, struggling to carry a chair with a rather large, elderly woman. Since the streets were shut down--I wonder how far they carried her. That is how badly she wanted to vote--and how important those men felt it was that she did.

A wonderful--telling--story about a Sunni neighborhood. A group of men gathered around a polling place, but stood outside for about an hour. Finally, one man had the courage to go inside. After a few minutes, others followed. Then, a stream of Iraqi voters began... They were clearly afraid of the threats--not against voting or democracy.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 05:15 pm
Lash wrote:
When we hear the stat here it is a percentage of registered voters. Who would tally the number of children and otherwise ineligibles that didn't vote?

The same people who count dead peoples' votes as well as they count the votes of illegal aliens. Remember vote early and vote often.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 05:54 pm
Landslide Lyndon (Johnson) only counted votes from cemeteries in Texas.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 06:15 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
It is quite sad to realize that there are prominent people in this country and in the world who are more interested in seeing Bush fail, than the Iraqi people succeed.

My prime concern is for our own democracy and country. While you guys drool over the Iraq-vote love fest....bush inc is picking your pocket.

Well its a good thing we have you minding the store then bipo. We can all engage in an Iraqi-vote love fest knowing that you are around to preserve our own democracy and country...one A2K posting at a time.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 06:24 pm
Saddam's Absence on Ballot Thrills Iraqis

Abed Hunni, a stooped, whiskered man who walked an hour with his wife to reach a polling site in Musayyib. "God is generous to give us this day," he said.

In the past, "we were all scared of Saddam, but we could only drop the ballots in the boxes, we could do nothing _ Saddam would kill us," said Abdullah al-Seddei, an election worker in Musayyib. "Now everyone can vote for anyone."

On past election days, voters showed frenzied adulation, but only because Saddam's regime demanded it. Sunday, al-Seddei said, Iraqis showed a more realistic seriousness and purposefulness.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 06:39 pm
dyslexia wrote:
I suppose I am the only one on the planet who finds the Iraqi election to be interesting but puzzling at the same time. I can only guess what this election foretells about he future of Iraq and I certainly don't guess that because there was an election there will be a democracy (or even that there should be a democracy) I am also just guessing (blame my inherent stupidty) that in the best interest of the Iraqi people a benevolent dictatship would prove the most valuable in securing civil rights for the people. I find it most interesting that most everyone (from A2k posters to White House pundits are able to rejoice and/or denouce the voter turnout as if they had some inspired vision of what it all may mean in the years to come.

Why not a benevolent dictatorship for the US and Europe? If its good for the Iraqis, why not everyone else?

Of course there is no such thing as a benevolent dictatorship. Lord Action's observation about the corrupting influence of power was quite insightful.

The only realistic alternative to the fantasy of the Good King is spreading power out among the citizens of a state. I suppose it's a sign of post modern sophistication to question whether or not democracy is right for a given people. Of course such post modernist sophisticates tend to reside in democracies themselves.

There seems to be a school of thought (of which you are a student) that feels compelled to note that today's election is but the first, and quite possibly the only, step in a process of democratization. It's a valid point, but I question the intent of making it when it is accompanied by a simultaneous desire to dampen enthusiasm.

If I had lost the use of my legs for a long period of time and through some modern medical miracle regained the ability to stand and take a step, I doubt I would appreciate the advise of others to not get so full of myself for a first step, that there was no guarantee that I would take any additional steps, and that in any case, I was in for a tough period of rehabilitation. I might want to throw something at anyone who opined that there was even a question as to whether or not I should walk again.

The Iraqis, and those who wish them well are more than justified in celebrating this first step, regardless of what the final outcome may be.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 06:39 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
It is quite sad to realize that there are prominent people in this country and in the world who are more interested in seeing Bush fail, than the Iraqi people succeed.

My prime concern is for our own democracy and country. While you guys drool over the Iraq-vote love fest....bush inc is picking your pocket.

Well its a good thing we have you minding the store then bipo. We can all engage in an Iraqi-vote love fest knowing that you are around to preserve our own democracy and country...one A2K posting at a time.

I thought you'd never wise up...congratulations....
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 08:39 pm
This blurb from Yahoo gave me a feel-good moment:

And in heavily Shiite areas in the far south and mostly Kurdish regions in the north, some saw the vote as settling a score with the former dictator, Saddam.

"Now I feel that Saddam is really gone," said Fatima Ibrahim, smiling as she headed home after voting in Irbil. She was 14 and a bride of just three months when her husband, father and brother were rounded up in a campaign of ethnic cleansing under Saddam. None have ever been found.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 11:13 pm
I was encouraged by the turnout for the Iraq vote. I'm still not sure where all this will end up, there's a lot of nasty stuff that can still happen, but I think the high turnout, even amidst the violence can only be a good sign.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 08:32 am
The International Organization for Migration in Geneva announced today that the worldwide turnout of Iraqi voters over the three alloted days of out-of-country polling that ended yesterday was 265,148 - 93% of the 280,000 expatriate Iraqis registered, although only 23% of the 1.3 million Iraqis believed to be living abroad.

Quote:
93 percent of registered Iraq ex-pats vote
Source
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 08:42 am
The deputy head of the Independent Electoral Commission of Iraq Monday revised upwards the latest estimate of turnout in Sunday's Iraq elections, telling AFP that "We still don't have a final number but we can say it was better than expected. The final percentage could be between 60 and 75 percent." Late Sunday Baghdad time a Commission spokesman had suggested a 72% turnout, but the Commission later said that was a guess, and that a figure closer to 60% might be more accurate.

Quote:
IRAQ
Iraq vote turnout estimated at 60-75% Posted Mon, 31 Jan 2005

The Iraqi election commission said on Monday that turnout from the country's first free vote in half a century could be between 60 and 75 percent, although no official figure was ready.

Harith Mohammed Hassan, deputy chief of the Independent Election Commission of Iraq (IECI), said a majority of voters took part in Sunday's election in most provinces.

"We still don't have a final number but we can say it was better than expected. The final percentage could be between 60 and 75 percent," Hassan told AFP.

"The reports from the provinces are very good. In most of the provinces a majority of voters came out."

Referring to the Sunni stronghold provinces, Hassan said that "because of the exceptional circumstances the turnout was not high."

Baghdad and the provinces of Salahuddin, Al-Anbar, Nineveh and Diyala are where Sunni opposition to the election was concentrated.

Hassan said the vote in Nineveh, which includes the insurgent bastion of Mosul, was better than Al-Anbar, where the restive Sunni cities of Ramadi and Fallujah are located.

AFP
Source
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 09:52 am
An amazing day in Iraq. If they can keep this freedom alive, it truly will be the first domino to fall. Imagine true democracy in the middle east. It's easy if you try.

For all of you who idolize John Lennon, well, Bush may just be your guy after all.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 11:20 am
cjhsa wrote:
An amazing day in Iraq. If they can keep this freedom alive, it truly will be the first domino to fall. Imagine true democracy in the middle east.

As I noted before, I'm impressed with the turnout, and see a lot of good potential in the situation.

But I also see pitfalls, which could be bitter disappointment if they occur. For instance, suppose the Suni's (or any other large group), decide that they will not accept the elected leaders, and a civil war breaks out? How much of a mess could that be.

I have a lot of hope that a civil war won't happen. The door is open for Iraqi's to choose a different way of life, but a substantial majority of them will still have to step through that door, and even though a clear majority have shown that they respect an electoral process, we still don't know how many will accept the leaders who are selected by that process.

I guess we'll just have to see... fingers crossed Wink
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 11:27 am
I would like to see Iraq become a self governing peaceful nation that enjoys individual human rights just as much as the most hard core neo con on this site or anywhere else....but if it comes to a civil war it needs to be them fighting among themselves....and our boys coming home...we leveled the field for them...literally. We need to come home. It's up to them now.....cost and responsibility of freedom and all.... that's the mantra of the right correct?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 11:41 am
I'm sure everyone hopes that the sand maggot terrorists go crawl back in a hole, never to emerge again, due to the strength of the turnout.

But if they don't, do you think we should give up all of the gains that have been made?

Do you think the frogs and the U.N. will want to step in to maintain the state that the U.S. helped create?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 11:44 am
cjhsa wrote:
I'm sure everyone hopes that the sand maggot terrorists go crawl back in a hole, never to emerge again, due to the strength of the turnout.

But if they don't, do you think we should give up all of the gains that have been made?

Do you think the frogs and the U.N. will want to step in to maintain the state that the U.S. helped create?

Then annex them and make them a US territory, that's what we've virtually done anyway....at what point do we prop them up at the expense of our own country? There are many who think that point has been reached and surpassed....
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 01:19 pm
cjhsa wrote:

The terrorists are one thing, all out civil war is another.

I'm inclined to continue to nudge the ocean liner back into productive waters, but if it starts to sink, I don't think we should choose to be dragged down with it.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 01:24 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

I'm inclined to continue to nudge the ocean liner back into productive waters, but if it starts to sink, I don't think we should choose to be dragged down with it.

Heaven forbid we should fight for someone's rights if it's difficult.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 01:25 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

great post
0 Replies