24 Hours: Iraq Votes.

Einherjar

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 09:48 am
gungasnake wrote:
Kinda blows the theory about muslims not wanting anything to do with democracy or representative government, doesn't it?

I'm sorry, weren't you peddling that theory just days ago?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 09:50 am
U.S. Hails Iraqi Vote; Rice Says Tough Days Ahead
1 hour, 21 minutes ago Top Stories - Reuters

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice (news - web sites) hailed Sunday's landmark elections as "the emergence of an Iraqi voice for freedom" but acknowledged there would be many difficult days ahead.

Although participation estimates varied, Rice, who just took office last week as the top U.S. diplomat told ABC's "This Week" that Iraqis defied expectations to turn out in large numbers and she expressed confidence that minority Sunnis, a key to Iraq (news - web sites)'s future stability, would be included in the post-election political process.

Later, Rice told "Fox News Sunday," said she had spoken with President Bush (news - web sites) who was very pleased by the voting.

"He also is just so incredibly encouraged by the Iraqi people. ... He just said this is a great day for the Iraqi people," Rice said.

Rice, who just took office last week as the top U.S. diplomat, also vowed that America would help Iraqi voters -- who defied threats and deadly attacks to cast ballots -- to finish the job of bringing democracy to their country.

"Every indication is that the election is going better than could have been expected ... What we're seeing here is the emergence of an Iraqi voice for freedom," she said in the ABC interview taped on Sunday for broadcast later in the day.

But, she added: "Of course, there are many, many difficult days ahead. But this has been an extraordinary day so far for the Iraqi people."

Rice acknowledged that turnout estimates ranged widely from 50 percent to 72 percent of Iraqi voters. She said it would be some time before the exact number is known but "the Iraqi people have clearly turned out ... because they recognize the vote is their opportunity for a different kind of future."

---------
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 09:51 am
What a mess. I can't believe people are thinking this vote is turning out well. It's a mess, and it only goes to show that democracy at the point of a gun is no democracy.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 09:54 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
It is quite sad to realize that there are prominent people in this country and in the world who are more interested in seeing Bush fail, than the Iraqi people succeed.

My prime concern is for our own democracy and country. While you guys drool over the Iraq-vote love fest....bush inc is picking your pocket.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 09:55 am
I didn't see any guns pointed at the people going to the polls, unless they were insurgent guns.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 09:58 am
Einherjar wrote:
gungasnake wrote:
Kinda blows the theory about muslims not wanting anything to do with democracy or representative government, doesn't it?

No. You're obviously thinking of somebody else.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 10:00 am
I think it's positively fascinating how the US government can put so much successful effort into a huge voter turnout in Iraq and so much successful effort into supressing the vote in their own country. Laughing

Could there be a profit motive at work here?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 10:00 am
Violence, death, only half of the people showing up...yeah, what a great success. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 10:01 am
Lash wrote:
I'm sorry, edgar. That doesn't hold water anymore--now that we have footage of Iraqis thanking Bush, and the US for bringing them to this day.

I'm sure they do want us out. But, I am hearing them say how thrilled they are--and how grateful to the US and BUSH in particular. The liberal propaganda about this issue is sad really. What it must be like to STILL want to make this a negative in the fact of the truth being broadcast around the world...

Exactly.

And only two things got those Iraqi's motivated enough to go to the polls on such a dangerous historic day....their courage and America.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 10:03 am
kickycan wrote:
Violence, death, only half of the people showing up...yeah, what a great success. Rolling Eyes

50% would be half, 72% is a bit better.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 10:07 am
Brand X wrote:
I didn't see any guns pointed at the people going to the polls, unless they were insurgent guns.

The term "insurgent" is really being misused these days.

The Viet Cong would be an example of a real insurgency, i.e. some sort of a popular movement aimed at the overthrow of a government, with significant popular support.

The people trying to halt the march of progress in Iraq do not qualify. All they amount to is a handfull leftover diehard baathists and fedayeen saddam, who are universally hated by the Iraqi people. The fedayeen-saddam have no options and no other country likely to take them in. Their choices are death or the re-subjugation of the country they brutalized for 30 years, and they are presently in the process of being killed out. The only thing making it take as long as it has is the support from Syria and Iran and baathist enclaves in those countries, and the financial resources of Saddam Hussein's former govt. which the UN gave Hussein an extra six months to stash and hide.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 10:09 am
That "Democracy at the point of a gun" line has caught on among Democrats. They couldn't help the GOP any more if they all donated to the RNC.

The Iraqis say you're liars.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 10:12 am
Brand X wrote:

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20050130/i/r2153214899.jpg
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 10:14 am
Iraqi Voting Disrupts News Reports of Bombings
by Scott Ott

(2005-01-30) -- News reports of terrorist bombings in Iraq were marred Sunday by shocking graphic images of Iraqi "insurgents" voting by the millions in their first free democratic election.

Despite reporters' hopes that a well-orchestrated barrage of mortar attacks and suicide bombings would put down the so-called 'freedom insurgency', hastily-formed battalions of rebels swarmed polling places to cast their ballots -- shattering the status quo and striking fear into the hearts of the leaders of the existing terror regime.

Hopes for a return to the stability of tyranny waned as rank upon rank of Iraqi men and women filed out of precinct stations, each armed with the distinctive mark of the new freedom guerrillas -- an ink-stained index finger, which one former Ba'athist called "the evidence of their betrayal of 50 years of Iraqi tradition."

Journalists struggled to put a positive spin on the day's events, but the video images of tyranny's traitors choosing a future of freedom overwhelmed the official story of bloodshed and mayhem.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 10:14 am
PDiddie wrote:
Brand X wrote:

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20050130/i/r2153214899.jpg

Funny. hahahehehe...
0 Replies

Planet Z

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 10:17 am
kickycan wrote:

AP-Iraq-Election (Tops)

Iraqis brave violence to vote

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) - Polls have closed in Iraq, and election
observers are praising a better-than-expected voter turnout.
The voting came despite a string of suicide attacks and mortar
strikes. Officials say at least 44 people were killed, including
nine suicide bombers.
The chief U-N adviser to Iraq's election commission says the
attacks did not halt voting -- and that turnout appeared to be
good. One early election count estimates that 72 percent of 14 (m)
million eligible voters cast ballots. But overall figures still
aren't available.
Polling places were rife with rumors of impending violence. When
one boom sounded near a Baghdad voting station, women put their
hands to their mouths and whispered prayers. Others continued
walking calmly to the voting stations, shouting in unison: "We
have no fear."
Even after polls had closed, thunderous explosions echoed
through the capital city. The cause of the blasts couldn't be
immediately determined.

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

AP-NY-01-30-05 1052EST
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 10:17 am
gungasnake wrote:
Einherjar wrote:
gungasnake wrote:

No. You're obviously thinking of somebody else.

I'm plesantly surprised. I've somehow gotten the impression that you are of the anti muslim persuation though, but I can't quite pinpoint when or why.

Anyways I'm glad the election seems to have been a success, lets just hope the results are heeded.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 10:18 am
That's just an AK resting on a bipod where somebody left it, and it's basically pointed at the sky.
0 Replies

Planet Z

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 10:20 am
Considering only 60% showed up to vote for the U.S. 2004 election and it hadn't been that high since 1968 then I think 72% is outstanding for Iraqis.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 10:21 am
Lash wrote:
That "Democracy at the point of a gun" line has caught on among Democrats. They couldn't help the GOP any more if they all donated to the RNC.

The Iraqis say you're liars.

I actually think it's pretty damn amazing and cool that they are voting in Iraq. I like it a lot.

I was just trying get the fighting started on this thread. It was boring watching you guys all agreeing on how wonderful it is. What fun is that? And I know how you all love to argue.

So I threw out that "democracy at the point of a gun" line. I did it for you, Lash, as a gift. It's cuz I dig you. Hope you liked it.
0 Replies