24 Hours: Iraq Votes.

Lash

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 12:35 am
I thought Geraldo was going to have an emotional collapse.

He's the King of Hyperbole even in tame situations. His head is about to cave in. (Which makes it fun to watch.)

I'm loving the interviews, the pictures...people crying --overcome with emotion---voting. I've got to jot down some of these quotes.

Tell me democracy won't root in the ME!!! They've thwarted a couple of suicide car bombs--in one, only the suicide bomber blew himself straight to hell--but he did kill one Iraqi police officer.

I wonder what these men (our boys and theirs) thought as they laced up their boots this morning. What incredible courage.
0 Replies

thorman944

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 12:43 am
yesterday, i saw a poll on the web that asked "if you were an iraqi, would you vote if it meant you may jeapordize your own personal safety, possibly risking death to vote???" (or something along those lines).

the respone was 2 to 1 in favor of safety.

they had a box to respond with a few lines. my reply was "if my child's freedom isn't worth dying for, what ever could be??"

- t

- ps, sorry lash, i was getting some bugs worked out and i also can't pm you - yet
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 12:50 am
You gotta love Geraldo's enthusiasm! Plus he seems to have a genuine comraderie with our soldiers and the Iraqis. He's doing a great job.

You'd have to be inhuman not to be moved by this. Those people walking to the polls with the helicopters overhead. They're all dressed up Smile

This night is incredible. People lined up outside the polls, laughing, smiling, giving thumbs up....proud. It's amazing.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 12:52 am
Hi Thornman and welcome! Just saw your post...and I agree. The Iraqis have such a long and hard time ahead of them, but today they will remember forever.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 12:55 am
Re: 24 Hours: Iraq Votes.
Lash wrote:
The polls have opened in Iraq.

Voters are being interviewed. I just heard one Iraqi man, after casting his ballot, "I will say this, like your people said it: Free at last, we are free at last."

It brought tears to my eyes.

I thought it would be good to record what we see and what we feel during the next 24 hours.

I'm scared, nervous, exhilerated. When I hear certain things from the Iraqi voters, I get a rush of chills. Praying for no violence. So concerned-- and full of hatred for those who would kill these people for speaking up for themselves.

AMEN!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 01:08 am
It is quite sad to realize that there are prominent people in this country and in the world who are more interested in seeing Bush fail, than the Iraqi people succeed.

Anything less than 60% turnout is going to be seen by many as a failure which is unbelievable considering that most modern democracies don't manage to turn out that % of voters and that's in countries where voting doesn't court death.

The good news is that Bush is in office for four more years and the Iraqis will have at least that long to make a good start. I don't think there is any chance at all that he would pull the troops out before he thought the job had been done.

Part of being a democracy is allowing gin blossomed blow hards like Ted Kennedy the freedom and opportunity to make his outrageous comments, but I long for the days when such spew would prompt a caning from a fellow Senator. At the very least, someone should slap his fat face.

Back to the elections though: This is what our young men and women have been giving up their lives for. The degree to which the Iraqi people reveal their personal courage and line up to vote will go along way in honoring their deaths.

A lot is at stake.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 02:37 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
It is quite sad to realize that there are prominent people in this country and in the world who are more interested in seeing Bush fail, than the Iraqi people succeed.

What would you call people who have little or no interest in the Iraqi elections and their chance to move towards democracy, except to hope that something goes wrong that they can pin on Bush, and to claim that democracy isn't right for everyone? Naturally, most Iraqis secretly long for dictatorship. I have some choice names for them.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 02:40 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

What would you call people who have little or no interest in the Iraqi elections and their chance to move towards democracy, except to hope that something goes wrong that they can pin on Bush, and to claim that democracy isn't right for everyone? Naturally, most Iraqis secretly long for dictatorship. I have some choice names for them.

Me too, but that is to be expected from the likes of us.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 02:42 am
Whether someone favored invasion of Iraq or not, one would think that he would hope very much that the Iraqis do manage to succeed in attaining a stable democracy.

What would you call people who have little or no interest in the Iraqi elections and their chance to move towards democracy, except to hope that something goes wrong that they can pin on Bush, and to claim that democracy isn't right for everyone? Betrayers of the Declaration of Indepence is as good a name as any.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 02:47 am
It is astonishing that people are still trying to pin negative hopes and doom on this.

When will the Democrats re-join America? They need to be pulling FOR us, and FOR the Iraqis. Some are. Its the hold-outs that just baffle me. What can their rationale be?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 03:13 am
Re: 24 Hours: Iraq Votes.
Lash wrote:
The polls have opened in Iraq.

Voters are being interviewed. I just heard one Iraqi man, after casting his ballot, "I will say this, like your people said it: Free at last, we are free at last."

It brought tears to my eyes.

I thought it would be good to record what we see and what we feel during the next 24 hours.

I'm scared, nervous, exhilerated. When I hear certain things from the Iraqi voters, I get a rush of chills. Praying for no violence. So concerned-- and full of hatred for those who would kill these people for speaking up for themselves.

Picture the demoKKKrats, and the suffering which this scene must cause them. I mean, it would be hard enough on them if Slick Clinton had been followed up by an ordinary old-style republican like Herbert Hoover or Taft. Even that would make them look very, very bad in comparison, but to have Clinton followed by a truly righteous man who institutes policies based on principles and righteousness must just hurt like hell.

http://www.createstudio.com/art/large/Redemption-Pain.jpg
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 03:30 am
Just watched footage of a REALLY long line of smiling Iraqis, standing in line to vote.

Beautiful!

One woman made her way to the polls on crutches and said--"Today is a bullet in the heart of our enemies."

Why have we been hearing such negative reports about Iraqis sentiments...?

Glad the truth comes out in pictures.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 08:38 am
72% turnout is the word so far, a catastrophic success, Ted.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 08:42 am
Exciting times indeed!http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/party/party-smiley-017.gif
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 09:09 am
I just saw a segment on the tv machine a few minutes ago. Says the ads to entice voters in Iraq gave the message, VOTE AND AMERICA WILL LEAVE. False advertising, bait and switch. No wonder they are defying danger to vote in a bogus election.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 09:14 am
Any word on the source who wrote that ad?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 09:20 am
I'm sorry, edgar. That doesn't hold water anymore--now that we have footage of Iraqis thanking Bush, and the US for bringing them to this day.

I'm sure they do want us out. But, I am hearing them say how thrilled they are--and how grateful to the US and BUSH in particular. The liberal propaganda about this issue is sad really. What it must be like to STILL want to make this a negative in the fact of the truth being broadcast around the world...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 09:30 am
If these 72% are true - and why shoudld it be doubted? - this election is a greater success than everyone thought before, because a lot of non-Shiites most have voted as well as nearly all of them.

This really is a big successful step towards the following parliamentary elections!
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 09:31 am
edgarblythe wrote:
I just saw a segment on the tv machine a few minutes ago. Says the ads to entice voters in Iraq gave the message, VOTE AND AMERICA WILL LEAVE. False advertising, bait and switch. No wonder they are defying danger to vote in a bogus election.

No wonder they are defying danger to vote in a bogus election...
No wonder they are defying danger to vote in a bogus election? ?
Laughing Laughing Laughing
This is moonbat Moore at his best.
This is a truly Kennedyesque piece of logic.
It's beautiful.
It summarizes all that the Bush hating wingnuts are and all they can ever be...
No wonder they are defying danger to vote in a bogus election!
Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 09:38 am
Kinda blows the theory about muslims not wanting anything to do with democracy or representative government, doesn't it?
0 Replies