When Good Knees Go Bad

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 08:50 am
After months of delays and rough times for mrsedgarblythe, she had knee replacement surgery yesterday. We already knew the surgeon and staff, which assuaged much anxiety. I met with the doctor immediately after he came out of surgery and he pronounced it as perfect a job as can be done.

After all she has overcome to reach this point, she deserves all the glory. We arrived for a twelve thirty surgery start time. They advised us to arrive more like eleven. Since it was a cold rainy day and we came from Tomball, we actually left out at nine fifteen.

They finally took her into surgery at two. My daughter and I ate in the cafeteria. Just before that, I took my wife's belongings back to the truck to keep from lugging it with me.

We waited until four, when my daughter had to leave to pick up her son at the day care. Then I sat until around four thirty, which is the time the doc came out. After briefing me on how wonderful it all went, he sent me to a room he told me was hers. I informed the people on the floor what was going on and went into the room. Nice, roomy. I fetched her belongings and then used the restroom in there. Before I opened the bathroom door, the staff came in and proceeded to evict me. Wrong room. They sent me to the patients' lounge, where I sat seemingly forever. At seven the fire alarm sounded. I rushed out in the hallway to see how people were treating this. There was no one in sight.

I took the elevator down, despite all I had read about elevators during a fire. It became apparent after a few minutes that people were conducting their business as normal. So I went back and waited through forty minutes of fire alarm lights and sounds.

At eight PM, I called the number they provided and gave them the code. They said she would be in her room in fifteen minutes. So, at nearly eight thirty I got to see her. They were swarming her like bees around an especially savory blossom the rest of the night. During all my waiting, I missed dinner for myself and all they gave mrsedgarblythe after she skipped any food beginning the last midnight, was an unappetizing sandwich and a tiny bottle of juice.

I spent a miserable night in a chair that was much too small, getting awakened over and over.

There were so many tubes and monitors in use on my wife all night long that I eventually had no idea what much of it was for. When I came home this morning so that I could care for the dog and do a few chores, I saw that Rocky had not eaten a bit of the food left for him. Not until we both were in the food bowl's vicinity did he eat a morsel.

jespah

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 08:52 am
There's time, and then there's hospital time.
edgarblythe

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 08:57 am
@jespah,
As I told my daughter, before she left, "I've already figured out that when they say 'one hour' they mean three." She smiled at me. She works for the same hospital group at another location, but once worked for the surgeon, before he transferred to this location. He wanted her to follow him, but it would have meant a large cut in pay.
0 Replies

Glennn

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 09:19 am
@edgarblythe,
Until the very end of your post, I expected at some point that Rod Serling was going to step out from a shadowy enclave in the background with cigarette in hand, and say, "Meet Mr. edgarblythe, an innocent, unassuming man who believes he's in an average run of the mill hospital waiting for word from his doctor on his wife's Knee-replacement surgery results. But what Mr. edgarblythe doesn't know is that he has just entered the Twilight Zone."
edgarblythe

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 11:01 am
@Glennn,
The hospital zone is reality encompassed.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 12:27 pm
Glad to read your wife has had the needed surgery, here's to a good and speedy recovery.

As to your and your wife's pal Rocky, critters are much wiser than generally given credit for.. They know what's going on without being directly told and wait until they get the signal that everything'll be okay.
edgarblythe

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 12:51 pm
@Sturgis,
Rocky is a bull in a china shop in the best circumstances.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 02:07 pm
I started to go back to the hospital, but she messaged that they were walking for two hours. Now I'm timing it to get there just before the end of the session.
0 Replies

jespah

Fri 9 Feb, 2018 06:43 am
How is she feeling?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 9 Feb, 2018 10:15 am
I just came home. She's due to be released, actually any time today she decides on. I came home to get prescriptions filled and do more to make us ready. She has exceeded what they are used to there and they have to continually caution her to slow down. Which is good advice, because she could easily open the wound with one small accident. She gets out of bed without calling assistance, for another thing. The doc told me if the blood thinner is really expensive to use aspirin instead (two full strength per day). She will be coming home with my daughter, because it's an easier ride, with room to lie down if needed. I have to add, the entire staff has been more than wonderful. (Except they didn't have coffee at the nurse's station at five this morning).
ehBeth

Fri 9 Feb, 2018 10:22 am
@edgarblythe,
Sounds great. I know you and Rocky will take good care of her.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 9 Feb, 2018 12:02 pm
Part of my prep is making barricades to protect her from Rocky's boisterousness.

Today we get the first official human use of the ramp I built her. Built it for both of us actually. It enabled me to move a fridge with French doors and a drawer freezer without help.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 9 Feb, 2018 03:52 pm
The blood thinner is priced for us at over $200. Since the doc told us to use aspirin instead, if it is overly expensive, I didn't fill that prescription. I got a bottle of aspirin. But when mrsedgarblythe gets here in about two hours, I will do as she suggests, since the knee belongs to her.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sat 10 Feb, 2018 12:43 pm
She was too tired to stay up long last evening. Today she is doing much better. Even washed a load of clothes. If anyone wonders why I didn't do that for her, I am not allowed to touch her machine. She did fine. Right now she is playing a game on her laptop.

Rocky has had to be controlled quite a bit, but he saw how serious I am when I locked him out for a few minutes and has settled down some.
Sturgis

Sat 10 Feb, 2018 04:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
Seems like things are moving forward, nicely.
0 Replies

Roberta

Sun 11 Feb, 2018 11:17 am
Sounds like Mrs. Blythe is doing well. I wish her the best.
edgarblythe

Sun 11 Feb, 2018 12:16 pm
@Roberta,
Thanks. She was able to get out of bed on her own this morning.
glitterbag

Sun 11 Feb, 2018 01:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
I hope she's feeling well and recovers quickly. My favorite cousin 'Jimmy' is recovering from knee replacement and his advice to me was "just because you feel better doesn't mean its all healed"... In other words, he says its important to pay attention to the doctors advice. Good luck and good health to both of you.
edgarblythe

Sun 11 Feb, 2018 01:34 pm
@glitterbag,
We will be attending rehab and seeing the doc on Thursday.

She doesn't feel any pain, even when late for her med.
Ragman

Tue 13 Feb, 2018 12:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thanks for informing us about her progress. Hope she is feeling better today and relatively pain-free. I'm sure she'll see that the worst of all of this is behind her. I'm wishing the both of you good luck with the recovery process and healing and rehab. I know a few people who have had the surgery and made complete recoveries.

Pretty soon she'll be able to do the things she was unable to do before the operation.