Cheney criticized for Auschwitz attire

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 03:23 pm
Interesting commentary, thanks for sharing the link, JW.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 04:38 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Lash wrote:
The existence of an article proves I don't know... how?

Not the bare existence of a single article, but the history of the KZ's and your above quoted response respecttively your before in this context given answer.

You are incorrect yet again, about the content of my post.

If you refer to my statement-- You can't seperate Israel from the Holocaust-- well, you can't. That doesn't mean they were the only people affected. It means you can't take them out of the equation.

I really think you should either link a statement of mine, on which you hang this accusation--or retract it.

We discussed the other victims of the Holocaust months ago. I am quite well aware of them.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 04:44 pm
From Stalin, Gypsies and Evil Empires--a year ago.

Very effectively proves my point.
--------------------------------------

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:18 am Post: 529547 -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry to start a conversation and be unable to respond.
Some fascinating stuff here! Nimh and Walter, thanks for the links. I plan to go through them soon. Russia is a point of interest for my daughter--we are investigating.

I was aware that gypsies--or if that is considered an ethnic slur (learn something every day) the Roma--were included in Hitler's camps. I had no idea they were set aside for a Hell hotter than what most Soviets endured under Communist rule.

Walter--and anyone else interested,
I didn't begin this topic so much with Reagan's "Evil Empire" statement alone in mind. I really don't have a point to make--

Reagan and Bush's "Evil Empire" quotes were criticised by a segment of the population. I was just opening a dialogue about the term "Evil Empire"--why it bothers some, when it can be appropriately used, ... Just interested in different opinions.

Again, I apologize for the absence, and I appreciate the activity. I'll be reading these links.
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 05:22 pm
"Well at least he's not wearin a Nazi Uniform, like that Stupid Prince did!"
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 05:34 pm
Who knows what's under the parka?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 05:43 pm
the shadow knows.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 06:29 pm
Hi, Dys. Long time no see. Terse as usual.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 07:58 pm
At least he didn't wear mittens..
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 08:10 pm
Did he catch a chill at the inaguration last week and is not doing well healthwise?

Obviously, if he changed into more formal wear to walk around Auschwitz, he recognized he'd made a huge gaffe. Seems to me it would have been much better to be dressed up for the ceremony & down for the walk if you were going to change at all.

He does look amazingly silly though, like a kid whose mom was worried he'd catch cold... shades of the little brother in "A Christmas Story," remember?

Quote:
My kid brother looked like a tick about to pop.

That image will be hard to live down.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 08:41 pm
I interpret his impropriety as neo-com arrogance.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 08:43 pm
But JLN, then why would he change for the walk?
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 08:45 pm
Cheney was the guy with enough "sensitivity" to wear an orange tie to his meeting with Yuschenko in Ukraine, but didn't seem to think that wearing a knit cap with "Staff 2001 " embroidered on it to the 60th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwiitz was a bad idea... Yeah and the parka was pretty out of place too.
That boy be like school on Saturday...No class.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 08:49 pm
On the other hand, on a slightly self corrective note, I don't like making fun of people's looks, generally. I am no fan of Cheney but don't presume to know his deep feelings about the holocaust.

That said, and moving right along, aside from being too casual, the parka hood is a tad festive for the occasion, evoking visions of pom poms at the end of the ties.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 06:12 pm
Well, at least he didn't wear one of those cat-in-the-hat hats. Now that would've been inappropriate!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 06:35 pm
he needs a hat like slappys last avatar......
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 06:39 pm
He already has one, bear. It's called his face.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 06:41 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
He already has one, bear. It's called his face.

DOHHHHHH!!!! (rim shot please) Gus ladies and gentlemen...he'll be here all week Laughing Wish I'd have thought of that....
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 06:45 pm
I've got a million of 'em!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 07:46 am
dlowan wrote:
It I think the lesson to be learned is that we are ALL capable of great inhumanity - Israelis included - and all capable of great courage and compassion.

Having said that, though I think Cheney's clothing choice showed ignorance of the behaviour expected, I think it no great drama to be a little ignorant - the only drama is if we do not learn - and there are far more important things to be learned about than clothes.

It seems sad that so much energy seems to being expended about criticisms of clothing, and defences of it, given the anniversary that was being marked.

Bravo !! A fairly long thread which I have scanned fairly quickly. This was the only comment I saw that was worthy of serious consideration. The rest was merely trivial and hypocritical carping about nothing.

The anniversary, and the place, marked the actions of Europeans (and it wasn't just Germans who did it - the French and some others cooperated quite nimbly in assembling and shipping off their Jews. The Danes, on the other hand, resisted quite effectively.) The United States was, fortunately spared those choices, and had nothing to do with it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 08:27 am
georgeob1 wrote:
The Danes, on the other hand, resisted quite effectively.
Cottect, the Danes could smuggle their Jewish population to Sweden, after they were secretely informed by Ferdinand Duckwitz, a German diplomat, that the Nazis were planning to deport the them, and before German and Danish Nazis could do it.
0 Replies