Swimpy's Kitchen Remodel Thread

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 07:32 pm
Oooh, that IS exciting! Wow, hope it works out.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 07:42 pm
Quote:
I hope so, Osso. I'm pretty excited to think there might be old wood under there. The only worry is that the people who put the floors on over it punched a bunch of nasty nails into it. Pulling them out might really do a number on it. We'll see. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed.

It all depends how the other floors were laid. I helped do the grunt work in two of my friends kitchens. Both had wood floors under linoleum, unfortunately someone put a plywood backer down on one of the floors before the linoleum. This must have been around the invention of the nail because whoever laid it must have used about thirty nails per square foot. Needless to say the hardwood was ruined and it was not fun ripping the plywood up. (It was also glued) The other friends floor only needed sanding and it was as good as new. I hope your experience resembles the latter scenario.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 08:26 pm
Sublime, I fear the latter scenario. The flooring guy said it's likely. But I'm hopeful there is a beautiful old oak floor under there that matches the rest of the floors. A girl can dream, no?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 08:29 pm
Well, we did have old nails and gouges bla bla bla in our work floors, but they're really beautiful... it's called patina.
Nothing at all compared to the hundred thousand staples in the walls.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 08:39 pm
Quote:
A girl can dream, no?

Very Happy Absolutely! Very Happy
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 06:43 pm
Ok, this is the kind of stuff that I knew would start getting to me. The cabinet guy didn't show last night. I had to call him today and reschedule. Shouldn't he have called me? Yes, to answer my on question, he should have called me. Anyway, he's coming tomorrow night. He'd better not cancel again. Grrr.

Thanks, I feel better now.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 06:52 pm
Same old, same old. Really a problem here in north north, with few capable contractors and a long list of those awaiting their help.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 06:58 pm
grr, I sent myself a link and now can't find it.

There was a thread in the Inspired Home part of the Taunton forums about floors. Someone discovered that the subfloor in their 1940's house was a good quality wood when they did a kitchen teardown - the up side was nasty - so they turned it over and refinished it. That is something I would never have thought of - turning the subfloor over.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 07:49 pm
Exactly, Osso. That's what's going on here.

Beth, I wonder about the cost of doing something like that. Did they mention that?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 07:53 pm
it's somewhere in this forum

http://forums.taunton.com/tp-housechat/messages

i'm trying to do a search on it, but i am notably ungifted at Taunton searches
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 07:55 pm
http://forums.taunton.com/tp-housechat/messages?msg=467.1

this isn't it, but it is someone else finding a nice subfloor and wanting to rework it

dang, i hate their search
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 07:57 pm
So, me, I wonder what is nasty? Nasty fits in our work studio. Would I ever do my kitchen remod, I'd work out a way to replace a board or two if they were completely scummy/rotten in some way, but I wouldn't mind "weathered".
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 08:04 pm
I'm dying to start pulling up the corner of the floor, but I'd better wait. I might do some real damage.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 08:06 pm
Let's not start talking about real damage done. I'll have to tell a sad sad story about an over-eager woman and her pry bar. Confused
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 08:24 pm
Good, ehBeth, listening.

(Are we talking termites?)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 08:56 pm
No termites.

Though I need to be watchful for them. They're a problem in this part of town.

No. I got cocky after doing a bit of minor reno work and watching a few too many home reno shows where they do a whole house in half an hour. My ex beau gave me a crow bar and a set of pry bars for a birthday, and I decided to rip up a few things that I didn't (still don't entirely) know how to put back together again.

My current rule - nothing else can be taken apart/pulled down til I've finished fixing what I already tore down Shocked
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 09:22 pm
Beth, Bring that pry bar on down. We'll have us a demolition party.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 09:25 pm
Do you know how frighteningly tempting that is?

I love that crow bar.
I once posted on Abuzz how that was the most romantic gift I ever got. It definitely was proof he listened to me when I was talking.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 09:39 pm
I also like what I call (sorry) chukka bars... steel bars about five feet long with a flat piece at one end and a knob at the other... very handy..
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 09:47 pm
Still voyeuring. Haven't done any of that stuff... yet. Love to think about it, am sure I'll do it sometime.

Everything crossed for swimpy's wood floors to turn out bootiful.

Now I'm wondering about mine, too. Kinda weird situation. There are new wood floors (~10 years) in the kitchen and dining room, and carpets in the living room. I can see there are de-lovely wood floors under the living room carpet, and the carpet's days are numbered. (I mean it's a nice carpet but I love delovely old wood floors.)

I have no idea what's under the new wood, though, nor have I figured out how I'd handle the new wood/ old wood situation. Same thing you're talking about, old wood in LR would look weird right up against new wood in Kitchen and DR. (They all meet, we have one of those circular floor plans.)

Anyway, reading along with interest and with hope.
0 Replies