Swimpy's Kitchen Remodel Thread

Swimpy

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 10:43 am
Good point, Beth. I wouldn't want any old industrial wood in my house. I don't even know if the option is available around here. I'm going to talk to the flooring stores today. I'll report back.

Thanks for the link, too. I think I might join that site.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 10:49 am
Swimpy, years ago at Abuzz, Jeanne de Seattle posted a request for info on a major remodelling project (I wonder if she posted the results there or here? I know they're around). An Abuzz member edgarB (not edgarblythe) led a group of us to Taunton - the Fine Homebuilding people helped her enormously in terms of products/contractors/design.

At Cooks Talk there (the forum related to Fine Cooking mag) there have been a number of excellent threads on the topic of kitchen renos - and some extraordinary results posted. They're a great resource in this area.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 11:19 am
I registered. I'm still finding my way around. I found a kitchen remodel thread with pics. The kitchen is rectangular like mine. The pics are in the first post. Ashley's Kitchen
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 11:24 am
Oh - AshleyD. He is the God from Britain at Cooks Talk. He hosts the most extraordinary dinner parties. (When looking at his kitchen reno, you have to take into account the different way the Brits/Euros shop and cook).

If you're having trouble finding other kitchen renos - post a question with something like "Jean, Please help. Kitchen reno sought" as the title. Jean is the goddess of 'search' at Taunton. The Prospero search function is very different from the search here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 01:48 pm
We have an old wood reclamation company in our northern california area. One of our clients, a young couple, have wanted to do their landscape construction with as much recycled wood or certified sustainably harvested wood as possible; our designs have taken that into account.

I mention this because it is hard for me to picture the average person at the lumber yards around here even knowing about that company, much less recommending it - though I might be wrong about that and it could be useful to ask.

I have a link for it, not that it would help you get old wood, Swimpy, but that it might give you some hint on how to find such places in your part of the country.

This article is primarily about redwoods, but a company mentioned in it does handle other old growth timbers for recycling use.
http://www.northcoastjournal.com/012705/cover0127.html
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 03:10 pm
Swimpy wrote:
I registered. I'm still finding my way around. I found a kitchen remodel thread with pics. The kitchen is rectangular like mine. The pics are in the first post. Ashley's Kitchen

I didn't find the kitchen!

Thanks for the link to the Glitsa website, Swimpy. Looks the same, doesn't it? I don't know why everyone calls it "Swedish Finish" here. Maybe they really enjoy saying it and are thinking Swedish Finnish?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 08:44 pm
Piff, You have to click on the links in the first post of the thread. I think I'll tell everyone I have a Sveedish finish on my floors, too.

Osso, Thanks for the link. It did get me thinking that we have a new architectural salvage business in town. I think I'll see what they have or if they know of a source for recycled floors.

I brought some flooring samples home today. The new oak really looks new next to the old floors and not in a good way. I got a price though. Not too bad. I think I paid as much for the crappy Solarian vinyl I have.

Beth, The God from Britain, eh? I think I'm in love.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 09:14 pm
Love is in the air..

back to floors - when I lived in Venice, a fellow had a two story victorian moved from Boyle Heights, in east LA, to our block in way west Los Angeles. Some time later the place was featured in the LA Times magazine, and I remember being impressed that he had new (old) maple floors put in.

Now, a warning, some of the recycling bit is not cheap...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 09:51 pm
Swimpy wrote:
Piff, You have to click on the links in the first post of the thread.

Is it a thread on sourdough bread? That's what I keep coming up with and I don't see any links. Maybe something is wrong with my computer... or its operator. I dunno. Can't find it.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 11:20 pm
I'll be damned. I don't understand why it ges to that thread. I can't find it again. Sorry. Maybe Beth can help us.

Osso, I think you're right. I'm not sure I can afford recycled, but I'd like to find out what it costs.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 11:48 am
Piff - you've been to Cooks Talk in the past haven't you? I suspect the puter is trying to take you to the most recent thread that you haven't read.

Go into the Kitchen Equipment folder - you should be able to see the thread title - something to do with kitchen reno - there.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 05:47 pm
OK, today I got estimates from the plumber (my brother) and spent some time with the kitchen designers. I'm glad I went because they had taken a complete turn from what I wanted. If all goes well we might have the cabinet order ready by early next week. Three to four weeks for the cabinets to come in. I'm excited. As soon as the plans are ready, I'll scan them for all to see.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 05:51 pm
ooooooooooooh

take before pix
take during pix
take after pix

frame a triptych

and this http://forums.taunton.com/tp-cookstalk/messages?msg=21596.1\
should take you back to the beginning of Ashley's kitchen reno reveal (with pix)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 06:21 pm
this was a great thread about kitchen renos

http://forums.taunton.com/tp-cookstalk/messages?msg=18886.1

"what would you do differently?"

some interesting photos of reno results mixed in on that thread
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 06:44 pm
Yes, definitely, pictures. I have some before before pictures that will take you back to the original kitchen when we moved in almost 26 years ago. I need to find them.

The links you posted are taking me to a california question. I'll see if I can serach for them.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 06:47 pm
Oh, I just found it. The "What would you do differently?" one.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 07:27 pm
I think the key there is to really wait til the page has finished loading and then looking at the title toward the middle of the page - not what the title at the top of the column on the left is.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 07:33 pm
I've been reading and it seems many folks don't like their wood floors. Now I'm concerned. Where did I read that people don't like the prefinished wood floors because dirt gets into the spaces between the boards. Oh bother. I really don't want vinyl or ceramic. What other options are there?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 07:38 pm
http://forums.taunton.com/tp-breaktime

try doing a search on 'kitchen renovation' or 'flooring' at breaktime

or just ask a question - people will either just answer or lead you to a thread where the discussion has already taken place

i know they've covered the bamboo option several times in the years i've been there

these are the guys (and some women) who helped Jeanne plan her huge home reno
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 08:32 pm
OK, I gave up and joined. Sigh.
0 Replies