Portland, Seattle, Vancouver

littlek

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 12:36 pm
oooohhhh, so, does the Pike Place broohaha run into the evening? Can we do both at once without the event being a lunchtime beerfest?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 12:41 pm
The market itself winds down in the evening. You could tour the market in the afternoon, than adjourn to the pub for a drink and possibly a meal. Their menu is pretty decent...

If you do decide on a plan to have that drink, let me know. I'll love to partake!
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 03:41 pm
Me too...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 04:18 pm
D'art, The one thing I've learned from reading this forum is you love your drink! No judgements, you understand. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 05:51 pm
Yeah! People will come!

Soooo, looks like I'll need to fly through to Portland - good thing my worries were checked on. If I got off at Seattle my flight home might have been canceled - post 9/11 thinking. So, I won't be up to Seattle until the late afternoon, at best. Am working on my sister and friend to see if there is time and if so, if there is a good place to meet (I'll let my friend call that one to suit her child's needs).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 11:23 pm
I don't know quite where I was, Piffka, but I sure liked it.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 07:24 am
How have I missed this thread? Damn! I don't have time to search for the date, sounds like it's soon. One promenent Vancouver resident doesn't seem to know about it either. I'll tell him right away.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 07:36 am
Does P & L know about this? I'll bet she'd be very interested if she doesn't.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 08:22 am
good morning all

I think the Cousteau factoid originates out of the narrative from one particular National Geographic special where he and his crew brought their ship up to photograph spawning salmon.

The ferries in BC are much the same as in Washington - utilitarian, as I think PD or D'Art termed it. But in summer, one wants to be out on deck anyway. Ferry rides up here can be two hours depending on route, weaving in and around the various Gulf Islands.

This really is a lovely little part of the world up here. It occured to me as I was reading the thread, and hearing lots of folks express some fondness for the Pacific Northwest, or expressing some wish to finally get up here, that perhaps I could organize something for next summer. We could, for example, rent a large home, or a group of cabins for several days or a week (enough to accomodate some twenty or so people, say) on one of the Gulf Islands, with cycles and kayaks provided (to see whales really close up), side trips to artizan communities for the shopping inclined, etc. Given enough lead in time, it could probably be done quite reasonably. Our local beers and wines are quite yummy, and of course, our bud is good enough to gain the attention of the US Drug Czar.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 08:24 am
Hey! I may be interested in something like that.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 08:40 am
I'd be interested in a stay on the Gulf Islands. Have only seen them ages ago through fog on the AK ferry.

Lola, I don't know if P&L has heard anything. I'm sure once a date & time & place are definite, she'll be invited to join in.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 09:43 am
Timing is everything. I'll be long gone by then.
0 Replies

Flatted 5th

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 11:02 am
I don't know if this would fit in your time frame littlek;
The Portland Blues Festival will be from July 3-6 this year: http://www.waterfrontbluesfest.com/

Great line-up this year and always a good time.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 02:52 pm
P&L should be informed. If you don't do it, Lola, I will. Maybe we both can.

So, there's a brew pub that may work for a tuesday evening gathering for those who're interested. I'll get the name.....

Blatham, I'm very excited about the visit to SW Canada. Whistler looks like a gorgeous place and completely out of my league.

Pdog - you'll be gone! Dammit. I was hoping you and the pbitch could be persuaded to meet me out and/or about.

Flatted-5th, I'll be in whistler at those times, but that sounds awsome.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 02:58 pm
Scuse me, kay -- was talking about the gathering blatham was proposing for next summer. Should be around on Tuesday...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 03:01 pm
Oh good!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 03:06 pm
Difficult for both of us to get out of the house before 7:00 because of the afterwork dog-wrangling and whatnot, so you may not get both of this if it's earlier than that.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 03:07 pm
Well, we may meet earlier, but we can hang out for a while - right folks? Hmmm...

Who can come?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 03:18 pm
I probably can. Turns out I'm going to the Seattle Art Museum that afternoon with a friend, and the museum is really close to the Market. So, depending on what time is settled on, I will certainly try.

littlek, if you want to see the Market, you should try to be doing that no later than mid-afternoon, because it does close early. But the pub stays open.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 03:38 pm
If the market works out for tuesday, so be it, if not, maybe I can check it out wednesday.
0 Replies