My local barbers, 9the one I use anyway

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2018 11:48 am
What does "9the" mean? It appears to be rather confusing to me.

Plus, Izzy is British, then his "local barbers" would have been in the UK. So the Iraqi Kurds are now in the UK?

Well, these casual English is really a puzzle to me.

Thanks in anticipation.

Context:
izzythepush wrote:

The Kurds were given the shitty end of the stick when the British and French carved up the Ottoman Empire. There should have been a Kurdistan, instead it was divided up among Syria, Iran, Iraq and Turkey. Following recent evens the Iraqi and Syrian Kurds are fairly autonomous, and Turkey fears losing territory to an independent Kurdistan.

My local barbers, 9the one I use anyway,) has just been taken over by Iraqi Kurds. They're really lovely people, we hit it off straight away. I tried to give him a tip but instead he gave me a discount.

Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 675 • Replies: 7

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
hightor
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2018 11:59 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
What does "9the" mean? It appears to be rather confusing to me.

It means that Izzy didn't hit the "shift" key when he tried to type " ( ".
Quote:
Plus, Izzy is British, then his "local barbers" would have been in the UK. So the Iraqi Kurds are now in the UK?

Yes, some Iraqi immigrants who were Kurds opened up a barber shop in the UK.

oristarA

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2018 12:16 pm
@hightor,
Thank you.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2018 01:18 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Yes, some Iraqi immigrants who were Kurds opened up a barber shop in the UK.

There's one near me in Bristol, and very good and cheap they are too. I use them most times I need a haircut.
0 Replies

travelinhobo

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2018 06:26 pm
@hightor,
Boy, I sure am glad you caught that! I was confused myself.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2018 08:58 am
An off-topic question:

Izzy said "...Iraqi Kurds. They're really lovely people, we hit it off straight away." So they understood each other very well and the Iraqi Kurds spoke good English - Otherwise, could they hit it off straightaway?

Wiki's Iraq entry shows "Kurdish is now an official language of Iraq alongside Arabic." So it appears that Izzy is very lucky to have met well-educated Iraqi Kurds who have the ability to speak English fluently.And I don't think Izzy knows how to speak Kurdish.

But this leads to another question: If the Iraqi Kurds were well-educated, wouldn't they have had a better job than barbers?
centrox

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2018 09:10 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
Izzy said "...Iraqi Kurds. They're really lovely people, we hit it off straight away." So they understood each other very well and the Iraqi Kurds spoke good English - Otherwise, could they hit it off straightaway?

You have some strange ideas. You can "hit it off" with someone even without speaking, if they are friendly. Fluency is not a requirement for friendship. Also, thinking that being a barber is a poor job is a very bourgeois and snobbish idea.
oristarA

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2018 09:30 am
@centrox,
Very Happy
0 Replies