monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Sat 20 Jan, 2018 07:15 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
I wonder, if more than two A2K'ers are among those 670,000 people in the USA who followed, retweeted, or liked posts from the 3,814 twitter-accounts linked to the Internet Research Agency.
That figure surprised me. I assumed (and I still think it more likely) that the number is much larger. But if it is accurate, then it seems doubtful even one A2Ker would be on that list. On the other hand, as Malibu Barbie complained, "Math is hard".
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 20 Jan, 2018 07:38 am
To my mind, this is one of the encouraging signs in US politics
Quote:
Small-town activists fueled by the Women’s March take aim at midterm elections
WP

It is possible that the Trump presidency will be profoundly consequential, socially and politically, in the manner of Viet Nam or the pill. If we're lucky.
0 Replies

revelette1

Sat 20 Jan, 2018 09:15 am
For what it's worth, or not, the following is a timetable according to one familiar with the negotiations.

Government shutdown: How the Trump-Schumer negotiations played out (CBS News)

I wonder if there is a betting pool going on as to which side is going to reach out first and what is going to be the result of it?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 20 Jan, 2018 10:07 am
Quote:
Turkish war planes have launched air strikes on Kurdish positions in northern Syria, in a move likely to cause tensions with the US.

Turkey is seeking to oust Kurdish fighters from Afrin, held by them since 2012. Some of these forces helped the US to fight the Islamic State group.

There are also reports of pro-Turkish Syrian rebels advancing on the city.

Turkey says it is launching a full military operation against these Kurds - which it considers a terrorist group.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has also threatened to strike at the city of Manbij - some 100km away from Afrin in another Kurdish area - as a next target.

Russia - a key military figure in the region - says it is concerned by the reports, but earlier said it would not interfere in the conflict.

Syria has previously warned against any operation and said it would shoot down Turkish planes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-42759944
revelette1

Sat 20 Jan, 2018 10:48 am
@izzythepush,
Well, I admit to not knowing what side to be on. I would think it would be a good thing to arm Kurdish soldiers to fight IS?
revelette1

Sat 20 Jan, 2018 11:11 am
Quote:
With the government shut down, President Donald Trump isn't going to Mar-a-Lago as he planned for his high-dollar fundraiser on Saturday night.
But the party for supporters to celebrate the one-year anniversary of his inauguration will still go on, according to a person involved with the fundraiser.

Given the impasse on government spending, planners of the event have been told it's unlikely Trump will make it to West Palm Beach to attend it himself. But the soiree, due to be held in the ballroom at Mar-a-Lago, will still happen.

Donors paid $100,000 a couple for tickets — or $250,000 a couple to participate in a roundtable with Trump. The proceeds go to the Trump Victory Fund, the joint fundraising effort between Trump's campaign and the Republican Party.

Trump was scheduled to fly to his Florida estate on Friday and remain there for the weekend, but the White House scrapped the president's plans as a government shutdown seemed more likely. Now that Congress failed to pass a spending bill to fund the government before the Friday midnight deadline, Trump is bunkering down in Washington until a deal is made.

Get a load of the tasteful Trumpmobile (CNN)

(I don't know how to copy images with windows 10/Microsoft edge)
izzythepush

Sat 20 Jan, 2018 11:38 am
@revelette1,
The Kurds were given the shitty end of the stick when the British and French carved up the Ottoman Empire. There should have been a Kurdistan, instead it was divided up among Syria, Iran, Iraq and Turkey. Following recent evens the Iraqi and Syrian Kurds are fairly autonomous, and Turkey fears losing territory to an independent Kurdistan.

My local barbers, 9the one I use anyway,) has just been taken over by Iraqi Kurds. They're really lovely people, we hit it off straight away. I tried to give him a tip but instead he gave me a discount.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 20 Jan, 2018 11:47 am
@revelette1,
Here's your image

https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/AAuWrSf.img?h=486&w=728&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=1782&y=756

The way you post an image (good idea to note this somewhere handy)
1) right click on the image and choose "copy image address"
2) here on A2K in the "reply" box, click on the "img" option above the box
3) that gives you [img] [/img]
4) in the first bracket, you'll want to determine size which is done as follows - [img width=500]. Note space between img and width. The 500 can be changed to 400 or 600 etc to make it smaller or larger
5) then put your cursor between the two brackets and copy in the image address like this (* representing image address)
[img width=500]*[/img]
blatham

Sat 20 Jan, 2018 11:55 am
So here we are. This stable genius, the most productive President probably ever and the world's greatest deal-maker presents, for our delectation...

The Shithole Shutdown

Congratulations everyone!
Walter Hinteler

Sat 20 Jan, 2018 12:23 pm
@blatham,
https://media.giphy.com/media/l49JHIs05SxHAnUvS/giphy.gif
wmwcjr

Sat 20 Jan, 2018 12:50 pm
@blatham,
https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/AAuWrSf.img?h=486&w=728&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=1782&y=756

The sight of this motor vehicle makes me giggle. It's an updated version of the clown car! Smile
wmwcjr

Sat 20 Jan, 2018 12:53 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Trump is an accordion? Actually, it's a scary sight.
blatham

Sat 20 Jan, 2018 01:30 pm
This is already being rolled out as the newest propaganda story
Quote:
#ReleaseTheMemo is the next phase in the anti-Mueller campaign
MM

Do read this piece. I think it's extremely doubtful that Republicans will actually release that memo because there'll be nothing substantial in it to back up the claim they are making and because it is effective as suggestion (or false claim) for right wing media and for the GOP base. It's all about protecting Trump and GOP electoral hopes.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 20 Jan, 2018 01:32 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
That's very good, Walter.

How do you post a gif?
blatham

Sat 20 Jan, 2018 01:33 pm
@wmwcjr,
You've got the trick now. I chose to post it in a smaller size simply because it is so gaudy/ugly I didn't want to assault anyone's eyes.
BillW

Sat 20 Jan, 2018 01:37 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

You've got the trick now. I chose to post it in a smaller size simply because it is so gaudy/ugly I didn't want to assault anyone's eyes.

Yeap, it's so tRumpian....
Walter Hinteler

Sat 20 Jan, 2018 01:53 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
How do you post a gif?
I have no idea but got the complete link via giphy.com
blatham

Sat 20 Jan, 2018 02:15 pm
Quote:
Representative Patrick Meehan, a Pennsylvania Republican who has taken a leading role in fighting sexual harassment in Congress, used thousands of dollars in taxpayer money to settle his own misconduct complaint after a former aide accused him last year of making unwanted romantic overtures to her, according to several people familiar with the settlement.

A married father of three, Mr. Meehan, 62, had long expressed interest in the personal life of the aide, who was decades younger and had regarded the congressman as a father figure, according to three people who worked with the office and four others with whom she discussed her tenure there.
NYT
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 20 Jan, 2018 02:20 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
How did you format that? Can you show me exactly what your submission in this box looked like?
Real Music

Sat 20 Jan, 2018 02:22 pm
Build the Wall!
Trump commercial

0 Replies