What, exactly, is the rationale for establishing "sanctuary cities?"

layman

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2018 09:09 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Another point here: The Mexicans still feel aggrieved because they like to think they "lost" land which they never had in the first place.

Ever hear of a "quit-claim" deed, Max? What do you get from the guy who gives it to you, do you know?

The answer is: Who knows? That guy isn't even claiming he has any right to the property by giving you that deed. At best he is saying that you can have whatever claim or right he has, if any.

Spain had "staked a claim" to the land inhabited by native americans in North America centuries before they "quit-claimed" it to Mexico on a piece of paper in 1821. If I quit-claim a house to you that is actually owned and occupied by someone other than me, good luck if all you have to tell them is that I gave you my (worthless) claim to their house. Ya aint got nuthin.

Same deal if a parent bequeaths to you his (worthless) right to stay in a foreign country, know what I'm sayin? His will can have 100 attorneys prepare and sign it, and be printed on real fancy-ass paper. That aint gunna help ya none.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 12:37 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
...Personally, deporting breadwinners to the detriment of American families is a penalty with costs that are far worse than the infraction. This is a moral principle, but it is also a political message. We want these cases front and center in the public political debate.

If you enter a country illegally or overstay a visa and subsequently acquire a family, but later get found out and deported, you have no one to blame but yourself - certainly not the country you are in illegally.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 02:45 am
@Brandon9000,
I do not agree with this. The severity of punishment, and the costs to the community, has to fit the crime. That is the responsibility of the judge, not of the offender.

People are only responsible for actions that they themselves take. The offender has the responsibility for the offense. The authorities have the responsibility for the punishment they mete out, and for the costs they incur on the community at large. This is why we restrict police from using their firearms, or even for the circumstances in which they can engage in high speed chases.

A civilized democracy puts careful thought into the costs that punishments have on society. If people are being jailed for speeding tickets... that not only be excessive, but it would also have real negative economic costs. Parents wouldn't be able to work, children would suffer and there would be less productivity.

That is why when you break the speed limit, we give you a fine that you are perfectly able to pay. I suspect you drive over the speed limit. If I gave you a 10 year prison sentence for breaking the speed limit, that would likely make you less likely to speed. But we don't do that... because the cost to society would of this punishment would be too great.

Again, I will point out the historical examples. In prohibition, Americans broke the law because they liked drinking. We upped penalties and enforcement and found out that the costs of this enforcement were worse than the offense of drinking. The same thing happened with miscegenation laws and anti-sodomy laws.

layman

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 08:54 am
@maxdancona,
Your "punishment must fit crime" comparisions don't fly, Max. Not every loss a person suffers is a "punishment" nor is it necessarily the result of committing a crime.

This aint the best example, but it illustrates the basic point:

Suppose you have a house you want to sell me, and I come to see it. You show me around. I like it so I agree to pay you $250,000 if you can prove you own it, as it appears you do since you are living there. I go to the courthouse and see that a deed to the property is registered showing you as the owner. So you give me a deed, and I pay you $250,000.

A week later the true owners come back from vacation and tell me to get the hell out of their house. It turns out that you forged a deed from these people to you before I bought it.

Who should get the house? If it's them, I lose $250,000 and I didn't do anything wrong. If it's me, they lose their house for nothing.

Somebody loses, whichever way you go. Neither of us have committed a crime and the loss is not because we're being punished. It's all just because of the illegal acts of a 3rd person (you).

I did nothing wrong at all. Sure, I may have made an honest mistake when I relied on a criminal to acquire title, but personally I'm innocent. I should get to keep the house, right!?
camlok

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 10:56 am
Sanctuary cities are places that the US establishes to provide sanctuary for all their old, decrepit, has been, US installed, vicious right wing dictators.

And their foils, ex-CIA plants, like Osama bin Laden, ... .
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 11:04 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
We need to win public support and emotional appeals highlighting the cost of this policy is a reasonable thing to do. Of course, this isn't a legal argument... it is a political one.

The problem with advancing arguments that appeal only to emotions without regard for any other relevant factors is that they only persuade cheese-eaters, and them's a dyin breed.

On the other hand, such attempts insult the intelligence of any reasonable person who hears them, and makes them all the more convinced that the guy making them is wrong. He aint got nuthin.

Fred Nietzsche wrote:
At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 04:12 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
In 1800, the colonial province of Texas was sparsely populated, with only about 7,000 non-Indian settlers. In 1829, as a result of the large influx of American immigrants, the non-Hispanic outnumbered native Spanish speakers in the Texas territory. The settlers and many Mexican businessmen in the region rejected the demands, which led to Mexico closing Texas to additional immigration, which continued from the United States into Texas illegally.

Tell me, Max. How many of those American citizens who crossed the Mexican border into Texas immediately transferred all their loyalty to the Mexican government, ya think? 100%? 50%? 10%? What?

Do you think that depended on whether they had entered legally (according to Mexican law) or illegally?
centrox

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 04:49 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
Who should get the house? If it's them, I lose $250,000 and I didn't do anything wrong. If it's me, they lose their house for nothing.

Nobody "gets" the house. They keep the house. It's was theirs before all this happened, and it remains theirs. You are the victim of fraud. Most fraud victims "did nothing wrong", yet they still lose the money or other valuable item they were tricked out of. You lost a quarter mil. The fake owner had no title to transfer.

layman

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 05:13 pm
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

layman wrote:

They keep the house. It's was theirs before all this happened, and it remains theirs.

But, but, but, what about POOR ME!?

Quote:
You are the victim of fraud. Most fraud victims "did nothing wrong", yet they still lose the money or other valuable item they were tricked out of. You lost a quarter mil. The fake owner had no title to transfer.

OK, so you admit it, then, eh? I'm a VICTIM! You can't "punish" me by not letting me have the house. That wouldn't be no fair! Gimme the fuckin house, gringo!
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 06:16 pm
Sanctuary cities are not sanctuaries for immigrants so much as they are sanctuaries for criminals.

Quote:
In 1999, Hispanics accounted for 47% of all U.S. gang members, African Americans for 34%, whites for 13%, and Asians for 6%. Law enforcement agencies reported in 2011 that gangs affiliated with ethnicity and non-traditional gangs have expanded in recent years.

Hispanic gangs form the largest group of ethnic-based gangs in the United States. A California Department of Justice study reported in 1995 that 60 percent of the twenty thousand members of the 18th Street Gang in California are undocumented immigrants. The Latin Kings is the largest and most organized Hispanic street gang in the United States.

Mara Salvatrucha, commonly abbreviated as "MS", "Mara", or "MS-13", is another Hispanic street gang operating in the United States. It originated in Los Angeles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gangs_in_the_United_States#Organized_crime_gangs

So, there are about 50% more members of hispanic gangs in the U.S. than black gangs, like the Crips and the Bloods?

Somewhere I heard that all these hispanic immigrants, legal and illegal, just wanted to become honest, hard-working U.S. citizens pursuing the American Dream. I don't get it.
layman

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 07:23 pm
@layman,
So then, as of 1999, at least, if you're in a gang, and if you're in the U.S., then the chances that you are also hispanic are about even.

Using the 18th Street Gang sample as representative, then there's also a 60% chance that you're an illegal alien.

So then, out of all the gang members in the country, whether black, white, asian, or whatever, about 1 out of 3 is an hispanic illegal alien.

That's RACIST, aint it, Max?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 08:03 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I do not agree with this. The severity of punishment, and the costs to the community, has to fit the crime. That is the responsibility of the judge, not of the offender.

People are only responsible for actions that they themselves take. The offender has the responsibility for the offense. The authorities have the responsibility for the punishment they mete out, and for the costs they incur on the community at large. This is why we restrict police from using their firearms, or even for the circumstances in which they can engage in high speed chases.

A civilized democracy puts careful thought into the costs that punishments have on society. If people are being jailed for speeding tickets... that not only be excessive, but it would also have real negative economic costs. Parents wouldn't be able to work, children would suffer and there would be less productivity.

That is why when you break the speed limit, we give you a fine that you are perfectly able to pay. I suspect you drive over the speed limit. If I gave you a 10 year prison sentence for breaking the speed limit, that would likely make you less likely to speed. But we don't do that... because the cost to society would of this punishment would be too great.

Again, I will point out the historical examples. In prohibition, Americans broke the law because they liked drinking. We upped penalties and enforcement and found out that the costs of this enforcement were worse than the offense of drinking. The same thing happened with miscegenation laws and anti-sodomy laws.

Deportation is an appropriate penalty for being in a country illegally. Any negative consequences are the fault of the person who is in the country illegally, not of the country for enforcing laws that the illegal alien knew about when breaking them. It is not equivalent to giving a 10 year prison sentence for speeding.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 08:33 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
Deportation is an appropriate penalty for being in a country illegally. Any negative consequences are the fault of the person who is in the country illegally, not of the country for enforcing laws that the illegal alien knew about when breaking them. It is not equivalent to giving a 10 year prison sentence for speeding.

What is an appropriate penalty is a matter of subjective judgement. When you make this judgement you have to consider all of the costs...

. - to the immigrant here illegally.
. - to their families which may very well include American citizen spouses and children.
. - to social services agencies who will have to provide for American citizen spouses and children who have lost a breadwinner.
. - to communities and neighbors who have lost friends, valued members of churches or social groups and neighbors.
. - to the local economy who has lost productive workers, and customers for local businesses.

You may make the judgement that the penalty is appropriate and that these costs to American communities, businesses and families are a necessary evil. That is your subjective judgement.

But you are wrong that the people who make the rules and decide the punishments are not responsible for the social costs of these social policies. The person who breaks the law is responsible for breaking the law. The people who make the rules and decide the penalties are responsible for the consequences of their policy.

Again, I will point you to other historical examples (prohibition, anti-miscegenation laws, anti-sodomy laws). In prohibition people were jailed for buying, selling or serving alcohol. It soon became clear that this policy was hurting communities far more than it was helping anything.
layman

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 01:40 am
@maxdancona,
We get it, Max. You don't want immigration laws enforced against the 12 million+ illegals here now, the next 20 million that come in, the next 50 million after that, etc.

You want to extend an open invitation to the whole world saying: "Come to my town. We'll harbor you. We will thwart federal law so that you can stay. **** the LAW. Deportation is the real crime."
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 05:45 am
As has been noted before, there are some federal laws on the books which can (severely) punish non-immigrants for aiding and abetting, or even encouraging, an illegal alien in maintaining his illegal status in the U.S. It's quite unfortunate, but it seems like the only way to end this whole sorry mess may be for ICE and DOJ to just leave the illegals be for a spell and concentrate all their efforts on prosecuting their co-conspirators, like Max, for example.

Moonbeam Brown, too, of course, but let some of these run of the mill touchy-feely "activists" start getting some 10 year sentences and they'll stop conspiring with the illegals to break federal law. The illegals can't last without the complicity of those who, thinking they have nothing to lose, give them every type of material and moral support they need to last.

Once those yellow vans start filling up with white boys, who are then soon making the perp walk in an orange jumpsuit. and soon thereafter are cleaning toilets in Leavenworth, they won't be so damn mouthy, know what I'm sayin? And no decent human being would ever try to say that the punishment doesn't fit the crime, ya know? Treason, subversion of U.S. law, plotting to overthrow the government, and the like, usually warrant a lot longer sentence than 10 measly years.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 06:45 am
Soon to be seen on the wall of a post office near you:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSm90zWzl7MxuMpPd6Eju6uDasOYKuKRXvOMudnZU9LbS9j09Yl

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHD8aTUc5cJ82ptgWmgXuqwZoRAgBa3XG7-Uc8Ezii86dBJDllhw

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS13emvkhbiVqZBGPz76ueXn785hYpLS07MH-Iq4bla1PXZXqyyTQ
0 Replies

TheParser

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 07:12 am
I personally believe in strict enforcement of our immigration laws.

Every other country controls its borders, so I believe that the United States has the same right.

NEVERTHELESS, I can understand why some people compare the sanctuary city movement to the movement to the time before the Civil War when many authorities in the North violated the law requiring them to return runaway slaves to their owners in the South.

Sanctuary city supporters say that undocumented immigrants have come here to escape economic/political misery. So these supporters feel that they have a moral obligation to refuse to help in their deportation.

layman

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 07:30 am
@TheParser,
TheParser wrote:

Sanctuary city supporters say that undocumented immigrants have come here to escape economic/political misery. So these supporters feel that they have a moral obligation to refuse to help in their deportation.

By that standard, we'd be obligated to condone the illegal entry into our country of BILLIONS of people from all over the world, eh?

If these cheese-eatin libs are so motivated by the moral duty to help every bum they see, then each of them should be sending thousands of dollars overseas every month to residents of shithole countries, eh? I don't see none of them doin that. Instead they want to import them and let U.S. taxpayers give them food stamps, free housing, free educations, cash supplements, etc. That way they can "feel good" without spending a penny of their own money. How convenient, eh?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 09:25 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

What is an appropriate penalty is a matter of subjective judgement. When you make this judgement you have to consider all of the costs...

. - to the immigrant here illegally.
. - to their families which may very well include American citizen spouses and children.
. - to social services agencies who will have to provide for American citizen spouses and children who have lost a breadwinner.
. - to communities and neighbors who have lost friends, valued members of churches or social groups and neighbors.
. - to the local economy who has lost productive workers, and customers for local businesses.

You may make the judgement that the penalty is appropriate and that these costs to American communities, businesses and families are a necessary evil. That is your subjective judgement.

But you are wrong that the people who make the rules and decide the punishments are not responsible for the social costs of these social policies. The person who breaks the law is responsible for breaking the law. The people who make the rules and decide the penalties are responsible for the consequences of their policy.

Again, I will point you to other historical examples (prohibition, anti-miscegenation laws, anti-sodomy laws). In prohibition people were jailed for buying, selling or serving alcohol. It soon became clear that this policy was hurting communities far more than it was helping anything.

Actually, deportation is exactly the appropriate penalty for someone who is in a country illegally. The only possible exception would be people who had no say in the violation, such as people who were brought in as children. The idea that it's improper to deport someone who sneaked into the country illegally or overstayed a visa is ridiculous. On that point, we'll have to agree to disagree.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 09:41 pm
@Brandon9000,
There are hundreds of thousands of Americans living illegally in Mexico. I don't think any of them have been deported. Mexico knows that deporting Americans isn't in its interest... and they aren't stupid.