Conservatives Pick Soft Target: Sponge Bob

au1929

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 10:40 am
Conservatives Pick Soft Target: A Cartoon Sponge

By DAVID D. KIRKPATRICK

Published: January 20, 2005

ASHINGTON, Jan. 19 - On the heels of electoral victories barring same-sex marriage, some influential conservative Christian groups are turning their attention to a new target: the cartoon character SpongeBob SquarePants.

"Does anybody here know SpongeBob?" Dr. James C. Dobson, the founder of Focus on the Family, asked the guests Tuesday night at a black-tie dinner for members of Congress and political allies to celebrate the election results.
SpongeBob needed no introduction. In addition to his popularity among children, who watch his cartoon show, he has become a well-known camp figure among adult gay men, perhaps because he holds hands with his animated sidekick Patrick and likes to watch the imaginary television show "The Adventures of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy."

Now, Dr. Dobson said, SpongeBob's creators had enlisted him in a "pro-homosexual video," in which he appeared alongside children's television colleagues like Barney and Jimmy Neutron, among many others. The makers of the video, he said, planned to mail it to thousands of elementary schools to promote a "tolerance pledge" that includes tolerance for differences of "sexual identity."

The video's creator, Nile Rodgers, who wrote the disco hit "We Are Family," said Mr. Dobson's objection stemmed from a misunderstanding. Mr. Rodgers said he founded the We Are Family Foundation after the Sept. 11 attacks to create a music video to teach children about multiculturalism. The video has appeared on television networks, and nothing in it or its accompanying materials refers to sexual identity. The pledge, borrowed from the Southern Poverty Law Center, is not mentioned on the video and is available only on the group's Web site.

Mr. Rodgers suggested that Dr. Dobson and the American Family Association, the conservative Christian group that first sounded the alarm, might have been confused because of an unrelated Web site belonging to another group called "We Are Family," which supports gay youth.

"The fact that some people may be upset with each other peoples' lifestyles, that is O.K.," Mr. Rodgers said. "We are just talking about respect."

Mark Barondess, the foundation's lawyer, said the critics "need medication."

On Wednesday however, Paul Batura, assistant to Mr. Dobson at Focus on the Family, said the group stood by its accusation.

"We see the video as an insidious means by which the organization is manipulating and potentially brainwashing kids," he said. "It is a classic bait and switch."

Bush won and the religious right is branching out. They are in dire need of prozac
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,201 • Replies: 47
No top replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 10:54 am
It's already in politics AU:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43713&start=0
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 11:00 am
JPM
Thanks did not see it. Would not expect it to be there. My first thought was to put it in the humor catagory.
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 10:38 pm
Another cartoon was booted off PBS today. "Letter from Buster" or something like that. The new lady in charge said we should not be spending public money on something like that.

I am an adult. I don't watch cartoons but it is a good thing some adults do for the purpose of monitoring them. I suppose parents may watch cartoons with the kids. I used to do that sometimes.

I am a member of the local PBS. I enjoy the channel. I enjoy The Nightly News show as well as a first rate public service program.

It is very unfortunate that people attempt to sneak in subversive programs such as the two cartoons in question. Now I would never think of questioning a cartoon. Hard to believe that adults would actually exploit children through a cartoon but here we are.

Because PBS is tax funded I suppose even "gays" have a right to the venue. Unlike the rest of us in mainstream America however who frown on such "cartoons" they should be allowed to show them but at a sperate time if the station deems them popular enough to run them at all. A seperate time making the viewers alert that these are the works of "gays", feel free to observe them if you like but make no mistake about it, we mainstream Americans will not put up with any tomfoolery foisted upon us by "gays" in the guise of "Sponge Bob" or "A Letter From Buster." Or anything else of the sort.

Although I do not watch cartoons it is now good to know there are mature adults serving as our watchdogs to ensure well rounded programming on PBS.

Incidently I bear no malice whatsoever towards gays as I am a firm believer in live and let live.
0 Replies

Instigate

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 11:42 pm
Just another political swipe. The article should have been labeled "Christian Group Picks Soft Targe: A Cartoon Sponge" Would have been far more specific and applicable. I'm not sure when Chrisitian and Conservative became synonymous, probably just another part of the leftist tactics.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 11:47 pm
Hi, my name is littlek, I'm a heterosexual woman in my mid-30s and I love sponge bob. He has a crush on Sandy Squirrel ferchissakes!
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 11:55 pm
I assume you are watching the cartoon with little children right littlek? By the way I like the dog in your avatar. Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 12:12 am
I watch the cartoon with children, with adult, with gay men.... and with a gay man and children at the same time. What does it matter?
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 12:14 am
A gay sponge, hmmm? :wink:

Maybe Bob could take a bath with the three men in a tub. Mr. Green
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 12:20 am
This reminds me of the Great Noddy & Bigears Scandal of some years ago. Very silly!
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 12:24 am
Does anybody remember a few years back when the Christian Coalition was picking on the purple Telletubby for carrying a purse and 'acting' gay? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:08 am
I can't control what people watch on television but adults should not watch cartoons unless it is for the benefit of their children. It just is not mature. Big people don't do those things!

I'll get right on someone if I see them reading a funnybook!

If you are not watching something like The Lehrer News hour for information or 3rd Watch for entertainment you should not have the set turned on to begin with. That's all.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:29 am
Jack Webbs
People will and can watch what ever they want to. Who gave you the right to judge what is acceptable and what is not. That attitude is typical of the Christian right. We will tell you what you can do and what you cannot. And pass legislation to insure that our will is the law of the land. There was a nation in Europe that had a similar credo and look at the catastrophe that it visited upon the world. We talk of bringing freedom to the world and in the interim there are those who would do everything possible to curtail it here at home.
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 10:16 am
You're absolutely right. And of course nobody has to give me or you the right to judge what is acceptable. We just do it. They don't have to agree of course unless they are breaking the law. Of course.

I can't control what most people watch or read for that matter. You must agree with me though, it does not say much for the maturity of a man if he is caught watching cartoons, unless for the benefit of his children, or reading funnybooks. It indicates an inferior education. Real men do not read funnybooks. Or watch cartoons.

Lighten up. :wink:
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 10:38 am
Jack - you think Au should lighten up!?! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

Doglover - I remember.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 10:42 am
I'm half under the impression that the pot is being a pot on purpouse in an attempt to humor us.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 10:43 am
mmmmmm, possibly.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 10:43 am
Full disclosure: I like the kids cartoons sometimes, and I've seen bits of the show that the Sec'y of Education objected to. The one where the cartoon rabbit visits real kids.

My god, what has this country come to? It's bad enough when the scolds who earn a living working for holier-than-thou church organizations gripe about TV, but gov't officials? How small-minded...
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 10:49 am
Einherjar

Quote:
I'm half under the impression that the pot is being a pot on purpose in an attempt to humor us.

One would think so unless they were to read his offerings on other postings. No, he is what he seems to be.
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 11:09 am
Well of course you're right D'artagnan the subject is frivolous but you know? It's like problems, big ones take care of themselves, little alligators are the ones you have to watch out for.

In the meantime subjects like these are good for fun. I haven't read a comic book in years but I liked the ones with Superman as well as the one featuring the Amazon lady with the magic lasso.

Lets be real though, everyone can't be like those two. Just some. :wink:
0 Replies