If countries voted for US President, results are.....

dlowan

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 06:06 am
graffiti wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
If we want the rest of the world's opinion, we'll give it to them. :wink:

Word! :wink:

Sigh.

You have the rest of the worlds' opinion (IF the figures that informed that map are accurate) - assuming they are - then yes, those opinions are irrelevant to the results of your election. You decide upon whom to vote.

They are not, however, irrelevant in an ongoing way to your country's future.

Whether some of you wish to hear it or not, if the world continues to feel so negatively about your chosen leadership, and its international direction, (because I doubt they care much of a toss for your internal politics) all the arrogant posturing you care to do will not shield you from the effects of ongoing dislike and mistrust of your motives.

Such mistrust breeds coalitions formed to defend against you - and also the ill-feeling that - in extreme hands - leads to acts against you. It would also lead to alternate trade and power blocs.

You do not exist in a vacuum - and, while some of you might be experiencing a rush of blood to the head, you are not all powerful, nor will your current supremacy last.

As it happens - I doubt this is more than a bump on the roadway - your administration will change - and your foreign policy with it.

One can only hope, in my opinion, that the next administration has more breadth of knowledge, insight, finesse, and ability.

I note with interest that some of your leaders appear to be attempting to undo, with a different rhetoric, some of the damage they have done - noteably Wolfowitz with his voicing of a mature and non-defensive attitude to the Indonesian government's touchiness re military aid.

I might add that your administration has - most unusually and unnervingly - been perfectly happy to attempt to affect Australia's internal election processes.

It might behove some of you to be more aware of your own country's behaviour re the internal processes of other countries - even firm friends and allies - before you behave in this way in reacting to being presented with international opinions of your current leadership.

Oh - I forgot the wink - to, you know, make this all cute and such, so you will look churlish if you take issue with what I have said.

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

graffiti

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 06:11 am
dlowan wrote:
graffiti wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
If we want the rest of the world's opinion, we'll give it to them. :wink:

Word! :wink:

Sigh.

Obviously, you did not read the entire thread. By the way, the bunny isn't the ONLY member of this community who does not need to be provoked, but, thanks anyway. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 06:15 am
I have read the entire thread, as it happens.
0 Replies

graffiti

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 06:17 am
dlowan wrote:

Then, it is quite curious as to why you selected my post to use for your diatribe. Trying to initiate a flame war?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 06:21 am
graffiti wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Then, it is quite curious as to why you selected my post to use for your diatribe. Trying to initiate a flame war?

First, there was nothing 'obvious' about your conclusion. Second, your notion of what constitutes a diatribe is rather odd. Third, your last sentence above would be the first salvo in any flame war, not the post you refer to. So relax.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 06:23 am
I selected yours and Bills's post because I think they encapsulated most succinctly an attitued I find very repellent.

I am not trying to start any war. This is a discussion forum - people discuss posts here. Did you want no questioning of anything you say?
0 Replies

graffiti

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 06:23 am
blatham wrote:
graffiti wrote:
dlowan wrote:

First, there was nothing 'obvious' about your conclusion. Second, your notion of what constitutes a diatribe is rather odd. Third, your last sentence above would be the first salvo in any flame war, not the post you refer to. So relax.

Nice to see you back her up. Clearly, you are objective. What is this? High School?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 06:24 am
And - if you consider challenging of your attitude to be a diatribe, then you will find this place filled with diatribes.
0 Replies

graffiti

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 06:24 am
dlowan wrote:
I selected yours and Bills's post because I think they encapsulated most succinctly an attitued I find very repellent.

I am not trying to start any war. This is a discussion forum - people discuss posts here. Did you want no questioning of anything you say?

Did you and Blatham PM before starting this?

If you had actually read the thread, you would have seen that Frank and I were discussing things quite amicably.
0 Replies

graffiti

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 06:25 am
dlowan wrote:
And - if you consider challenging of your attitude to be a diatribe, then you will find this place filled with diatribes.

Baseless.

I have not found this place filled with diatribes.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 06:26 am
But - if you wish to carry on so - here is Fishin's post - I respond to his in the same way - only his was not expressed with the same unpleasant manner:

fishin' wrote:
"If countries voted for US President, results are....."

Irrelevant.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 06:29 am
graffiti wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Baseless.

I have not found this place filled with diatribes.

Whatever, Graffiti.

If I see a post of yours I wish to challenge, I will do so,

If i see one I agree with - and there have been a number - I will agree,

If I see a post expressing that I think is a very foolish attitude, I will take issue with the foolishness.

Do you see nothing untoward with the attitude of your post? Well, shrugs - so be it. I disagree. As you have taken strong issue with the attittude of others here.

Have a pleasant evening.
0 Replies

graffiti

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 06:30 am
dlowan wrote:
But - if you wish to carry on so - here is Fishin's post - I respond to his in the same way - only his was not expressed with the same unpleasant manner:

fishin' wrote:
"If countries voted for US President, results are....."

Irrelevant.

Wonderful.

Now, you are making absolutely no sense.

The post you just referred to and the one I jokingly affirmed simply means that we in the USA do our own electing. Big deal.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 06:34 am
Have you READ my post?

I am not challenging that.

I AM challenging the arrogance that holds that world opinions of your policies are irrelevant to you.

I am also pointing ouit that your country has a big tracj reccord in attempting to affect other countries elections (actually, I only mentioned Oz's recent one - I could mention Chile, Egypt, Nicaragua and so on).

This is why I consider yours and Fishin's and Bills attitude lacks knowledge.

The conversation was not just between you and Frank - conversations are open.
0 Replies

graffiti

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 06:37 am
dlowan wrote:
Have you READ my post?

I am not challenging that.

I AM challenging the arrogance that holds that world opinions of your policies are irrelevant to you.

I am also pointing ouit that your country has a big tracj reccord in attempting to affect other countries elections (actually, I only mentioned Oz's recent one - I could mention Chile, Egypt, Nicaragua and so on).

This is why I consider yours and Fishin's and Bills attitude lacks knowledge.

The conversation was not just between you and Frank - conversations are open.

Again, baseless.

My post affirming Fishin's was a joke. Have YOU read my post?

Nowhere did I post that world opinions of USA policies are irrelevant to me.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 06:38 am
In relation to the meat of my post, I note from a quote in another thread that Bush himself appears to feel there is some reason to be concerned:

"He acknowledged that U.S. standing has diminished in the eyes of some countries and said he has asked Condoleezza Rice, his nominee to replace Powell, to launch a diplomacy campaign that "explains our motives and explains our intentions."

He predicted most Muslims will eventually see America as a beacon of freedom and democracy, but said: "There's no question we've got to continue to do a better job of explaining what America is all about." "

Bi-Polar bear did not give the source - but it was in the recent interview with Bush where he talked about regretting such phrases as "Bring 'em on"
0 Replies

graffiti

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 06:39 am
So, I went back to page 1 to find what had you uptight about Bill.

That was so obviously a joke I had forgotten it. You took that seriously?

Good grief!

As Blatham advised me: relax, bunny.
0 Replies

graffiti

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 06:41 am
dlowan wrote:
In relation to the meat of my post, I note from a quote in another thread that Bush himself appears to feel there is some reason to be concerned:

"He acknowledged that U.S. standing has diminished in the eyes of some countries and said he has asked Condoleezza Rice, his nominee to replace Powell, to launch a diplomacy campaign that "explains our motives and explains our intentions."

He predicted most Muslims will eventually see America as a beacon of freedom and democracy, but said: "There's no question we've got to continue to do a better job of explaining what America is all about." "

Bi-Polar bear did not give the source - but it was in the recent interview with Bush where he talked about regretting such phrases as "Bring 'em on"

All of a sudden, you find credence in anything Bush' writers put out for him to say? Unbelievable! Shocked
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 06:44 am
graffitti

No, deb and I didn't PM to strategize an attack on you. We both addressed a thread topic and its related comments.

I've hardly bumped into you previously and had no knowledge or opinion about you or your political positions.

You've responded to deb and I with an unusual and inappropriate sensitivity, misjudgement and rancor. No reason for any of it. Lighten up, please.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 06:44 am
I have not only read it, I quoted it:

"graffiti wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
If we want the rest of the world's opinion, we'll give it to them. Wink

Word! Wink"

Perhaps you might like to say what you DO think of the world's opinion - since nothing I have seen you write has made me think anything but that you think it irrelevant.

Eg - you agreed with Fishin's comment - your comment about one world government and chris only commenting about it if he does not like the results.

Er - knowing Bill as I do, I think you might be only imagining you joined in on an actual joke.

What IS your opinion, if as you say, I have misunderstood it?
0 Replies