A question regarding being friends with an ex, even if you want to win them back

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2017 07:54 pm
So I broke up with my long-term (2 year strong) girlfriend, and she wanted to be friends. At first I told her “no”, but then I thought it over and agreed it was possible and likely we could be. When I told her we should take some time away from each other, she called me extreme and crazy, so I felt as though I was wrong in feeling hurt or angry. I tried to be her friend immediately after the breakup, and took her parents up on an offer to go talk with them that they made before she left for college. (We were long-distance for two weeks). Needless to say, I was a mess trying to be her friend immediately after, and I made her mother think I hadn’t moved on. I understand her concern because I was an emotional wreck, and both of them were allowed to see it. When Thanksgiving came around, I felt like I owed her mother a sign of gratitude and to let her know I was okay. This enraged my ex, and made things with her mother worse. Now, I’m still trying to show the mother I’m okay and moved on, and be friends with my ex. I hold no hard feelings toward either, and I just want to be able to be friends in the short term, and perhaps in the future, ask out my ex again... so my question is, what can I do having upset them both, and having had no other major incidents with my ex, to make this right and have a shot at taking her out on a date again?

PS We broke up because I had been a wreck as her boyfriend, but I have taken the time to fix what the problem was.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,577 • Replies: 4

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2017 10:01 pm
It's over.

You don't seem to know how to re- establish communication with your ex. And it sounds like she wants nothing to do with you.

Start over with a fresh lady.

And leave relatives out of your love life.
jespah

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2017 08:46 am
@PUNKEY,
I would add - going into friendship while all the while trying to rekindle a romance means it's a friendship under false pretenses.
0 Replies

Mister Cyrus

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2017 11:25 am
Thank you for your insight, I think I should add a little extra information to make this make more sense. In regards to trying to rekindle a relationship, I am currently not trying to do that, I’m just trying to be friends with her currently, because I think she’s a wonderful person, and would like to be there for her. However, I want to have a shot eventually at getting back together with her, and try to reconnect with her now so that we can patch things up as best as possible. I also realize that I should have left her parents alone, but I was a mess immediately after the breakup, and since she was my first girlfriend ever, I was severely confused. This caused me to doubt myself when she called me extreme after suggesting we take some time away from each other, and then everything spiraled into a mess.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2017 11:29 am
@Mister Cyrus,
She might be more likely to believe that you're accepting the end of the relationship if you are out there meeting new people and casually dating others.

After a time of that, she may believe you're a safe bet for a friend - not trying to be her partner again.

If you only want to be friends if there is a chance of dating again - NO.
0 Replies