Would you remain friends with this person?

Mia528

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2024 03:37 pm
I booked a summer vacation with my good friend. We each paid our way. I had to cancel, as a result of a family emergency and will not be able to travel this summer-at all. I informed my friend of my situation. He expressed his support at first and then did a 180 and had a hissy fit. (He’s a drama Queen.) He blocked me from social media and would not return my calls. I was shocked at his egregious behavior, but now I’m mad. I don’t know if we can salvage this friendship from this day forward. Thoughts?

jespah

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2024 04:43 pm
@Mia528,
Nope. He's only framing your family emergency in terms of how it has inconvenienced him. Other people exist in the world, people who are not him, and they still matter. He may need to be reminded of that fact.
Mia528

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2024 04:55 pm
@jespah,
I wholeheartedly agree! He’s a drama “Queen” and very selfish. He reacted as if I cancelled my trip with him to go on holiday with other friends. I don’t think we can salvage this friendship.
RPhalange

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2024 10:11 am
@Mia528,
I had something similar happen to me. A group of us were going away, it was a small group and I had a death in the family. I had to travel in a plane as it was a distance. I had someone over to care for my dog and then asked them if they could help me out and call the 3 people impacted about our weekend getaway as I was not in the mood and was getting ready to leave last minute.

Everyone was understanding except for one person. They all did end up canceling; as it was not a big deal and they were able to cancel without any cost. When I got back this friend called me. Instead of sympathy, she started to yell at me because I did not personally call her to tell her of me not going away the following weekend. I said you know about the death right and why I left so quickly; you go the message from Sue right? Yeah, but you didn't call and now we didn't get to go away.

I could not believe the toxic response. I took a deep breath and said, I'm sorry but I don't think I want to be friends with you any more. I think that shocked her and she simply said ok fine if that's how you feel. It certainly just lifted a weight off of me.

Sometimes you just need to separate yourself from "friends" that are toxic and self centered. You can still be you and be nice but firm; there is no reason to keep someone in your life that provides no comfort or care.
Mia528

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2024 01:07 pm
@RPhalange,
Thanks! Yes, I’ve come to the conclusion that he’s a selfish prick and this cancellation inconvenienced him irregardless of what I was dealing with. Many years ago my father passed away and I had a friend trip planned as well. My friends at the time contacted me and I need to remind myself to surround myself with those friends.
0 Replies