Evolution of the Brain?

jerlands

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 12:13 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

WE as a species may not survive our own ****, but life will.

This is what scares me... we seem to lack any comprehensive view on what we are to nature or what nature is to us.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 12:13 pm
Go ahead, crack another joke.
jerlands

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 12:15 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

You're missing the point. I'm serious.
0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 12:17 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Will one twinkie hurt you? Yes, but you don't recognize it because of the small effect. Over time? You gain insulin resistance and your cells turn off to the outside and become cancer..
0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 12:33 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Sarcasm is not humor. Sarcasm should be understood for it's underlying message.

Edit: Sorry, I apologize sarcasm is a joke.
0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 12:42 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

My entire point in all this discussion on genetics is "GMOs" are deadly in any shape, form or size. There is no reason on earth to be consuming them in lieu of good wholesome foods.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 12:44 pm
@jerlands,
jerlands wrote:

Olivier5 wrote:

This is what scares me... we seem to lack any comprehensive view on what we are to nature or what nature is to us.

We are a small part of nature, but growing beyond what's sustainable. We're in for some severe course correction. My guess is that at some point during the 21th century, climate change will have a strong negative impact on cereal production for a few years in a row, depleting world reserves enough for prices to shoot way up. Then hell breaks lose.
jerlands

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 12:45 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Shee, I missed my own point.. playing around with genetics is NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME.
0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 12:49 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

jerlands wrote:

Olivier5 wrote:

We are a small part of nature, but growing beyond what's sustainable. We're in for some severe course correction. My guess is that at some point during the 21th century, climate change will have a strong negative impact on cereal production for a few years in a row, depleting world reserves enough for prices to shoot way up. Then hell breaks lose.

If you're building a house and see its location has loamy soil or clay soil or a high water table what do you do? You have to do what's necessary to adapt to the condition. It's not a question of nature adapting to the changes we're making but man adjusting his plans to the terrain.
0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 12:52 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
We are a small part of nature,

Wrong! You simply do not understand what man is to nature or nature to man.
0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 12:56 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
We are a small part of nature,

Pardon me for this but.. this is what scares me.. idiots like you!
0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 01:21 pm
@Olivier5,
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n629/jerlands/Judgement_2.jpg
Olivier5

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 02:44 pm
@jerlands,
The heart of a certain Shamy-Thoth (if my hieratic serves) is weighted by Anubis... Book of the Dead?
jerlands

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 04:00 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

The heart of a certain Shamy-Thoth (if my hieratic serves) is weighted by Anubis... Book of the Dead?

Umm, first I don't see any hieratic in there and second I don't know about Shamy-Thoth? What I was attempting to relay is what is possible to learn from nature and its relation to man and everything. That is.. the importance for the respect of nature.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 04:23 pm
@jerlands,
Indeed, these are cursive hieroglyphs, which is a different script than hieratic. Still, near the man standing under the scale in front of Anubis, whose heart is being weighted (and therefore, the guy whose death is depicted/celebrated), there is a word that reads 'Shamy-Thoth'. If my interpretation is correct, that would be the dead guy's name.

We know a little more than the guys who wrote this papirus. What do you think it means anyway? I could perhaps find the whole page's translation somewhere.
jerlands

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 04:33 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Indeed, these are cursive hieroglyphs, which is a different script than hieratic. Still, near the man standing under the scale in front of Anubis, whose heart is being weighted (and therefore, the guy whose death is depicted/celebrated), there is a word that reads 'Shamy-Thoth'. If my interpretation is correct, that would be the dead guy's name.

We know a little more than the guys who wrote this papirus. What do you think it means anyway? I could perhaps find the whole page's translation somewhere.

What does the weighing of the heart mean? I don't know.. the heart is held in relation to Ma'at. If the heart is heavier it's devoured by Ammut.

The interesting thing about all hieroglyphs (not just new kingdom book of the dead) is you can kind of get a feel for the atmosphere at that time.

Anyway... the gist.. how we engage in relation to our world and how that affects our perceptions of everything.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 04:46 pm
@jerlands,
It means that after you die, your soul gets weighted against the feather of truth or rightfulness (symbol of maat). If your soul is weighted down by too many misdeeds, you fail the test. It's a tough test, a feather being light.
jerlands

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 04:52 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

To be specific about this particular text.. I don't know. The Book of the Dead is pretty much the same and has been used throughout the new kingdom in tombs. talks of passage rites and such.
0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 04:53 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

It means that after you die, your soul gets weighted against the feather of truth or rightfulness (symbol of maat). If your soul is weighted down by too many misdeeds, you fail the test. It's a tough test, a feather being light.

Well.. I think the concept of Ma'at is a little broader but that's is the gist.
0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 05:16 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Here's a little deeper insight into how they perceived Ma'at

the moaning of the Bedouin wrote:
Those who destroy the lie promote Ma'at;
those who promote the good will erase the evil.
As fullness casts out appetite,
as clothes cover the nude and
as heaven clears up after a storm