Evolution of the Brain?

jerlands

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 08:52 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Just because YOU don't understand genetics, doesn't mean others don't.

Read this article. 98% of the genome isn't understood.
0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 09:04 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Just because YOU don't understand genetics, doesn't mean others don't.

Here's a link to THE UNION OF CONCERNED SCIENTISTS.
jerlands

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 09:10 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Yes, we do know enough to practice GM.

0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 10:22 am
@jerlands,
jerlands wrote:
Tell me how you understand genetics... simply.

I studied genetics and population genetics in depth during my school years, and I occasionally read stuff after that. So my genetics are not up to date, but i would venture to say that I know more about it than any of the regulars here.

Did you study genetics?
jerlands

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 10:24 am
@Olivier5,
I did not study genetics formally. I do however understand the depth of complexity and our current lack of scope.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 10:30 am
@jerlands,
Oh I'm concerned too, just not ballistic about GM. It's not a inherently bad technique, it's just been generally unproductive and/or more ecologically damaging as compared to other techniques, so far. In short, I see GM as potentially useful but its present value as wildly exagerated by proponents. It's a bit like AI: more noise than goods yet.
jerlands

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 10:35 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Oh I'm concerned too, just not ballistic about GM. It's not a inherently bad technique, it's just been generally unproductive and/or more ecologically damaging as compared to other techniques, so far. In short, I see GM as potentially useful but its present value as wildly exagerated by proponents. It's a bit like AI: more noise than goods yet.

Yes, not ready for primetime... agreed,
0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 10:37 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Oh I'm concerned too, just not ballistic about GM.

It's found in mothers breast milk. Gut flora is key to health!
jerlands

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 10:42 am
@Olivier5,

0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 10:47 am
@jerlands,
The irony is: you can't have much sense of what we don't know until you study hard what we know... It's tough but that's how it is.

For instance, "we don't understand 98% of the genome" is a meaningless statement, or at the very least misleading. We just don't agree yet among scientists on what the function of seemingly codeless DNA could be... Plenty of theories around: role in regulation of protein-coding parts, role as metadata, role as protectors of coding bits, or even no role, just "empty pages".
Olivier5

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 10:49 am
@jerlands,
Glyphosate and GM are different things.
jerlands

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 10:53 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

The irony is: you can't have much sense of what we don't know until you study hard what we know... It's tough but that's how it is.

For instance, "we don't understand 98% of the genome" is a meaningless statement, or at the very least misleading. We just don't agree yet among scientists on what the function of seemingly codeless DNA could be... Plenty of theories around: role in regulation of protein-coding parts, role as metadata, role as protectors of coding bits, or even no role, just "empty pages".

I don't understand what your saying unless it's "lets guess and proceed."
0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 10:57 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Glyphosate is used on roundup ready GM modified crops. Glyphosate is used on crops for early and uniform die off.

BT toxin (Bacillus thuringiensis ) is a whole nother ball game. Equally as damaging and possibly (and how could it be) more frightening.
0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 11:05 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

I offer a correction... Glyphosate is the active ingredient in RoundUp and as damaging as that one ingredient is the sum total of all it's parts is more so.
0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 11:23 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Oh I'm concerned too, just not ballistic about GM.

You have to understand. We are damaging ALL organic health with this "God" damned chemical.
jerlands

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 11:31 am
@Olivier5,
GMO Myths and Truths report
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 11:56 am
@jerlands,
Don't you worry about "all organic health". Life can deal with a lot of ****, been at it for 3 billions years already. In the grand scheme of things, and taking into account mankind's TOTAL impact on the environment (of which glyphosate's impact is a tiny tiny part), we are "only" dealing nature the fifth mass extinction event. Life as a whole has already survived (evolved beyond) four of those, much before man. It will survive whatever we do. WE as a species may not survive our own ****, but life will.
jerlands

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 11:59 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Don't you worry about "all organic health". Life can deal with a lot of ****, been at it for 3 billions years already. In the grand scheme of things, and taking into account mankind's TOTAL impact on the environment (of which glyphosate's impact is a tiny tiny part), we are "only" dealing nature the fifth mass extinction event. Life as a whole has already survived (evolved beyond) four of those, much before man. It will survive whatever we do. WE as a species may not survive our own ****, but life will.

Neuroplasticity of the brain right? You lack the understanding of that limit.
0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 12:02 pm
@Olivier5,
Go ahead.. eat another twinkie... it won't kill ya.
0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 12:05 pm
@Olivier5,
Monsanto's Glyphosate Most Heavily Used Weed Killer in History
0 Replies