Evolution of the Brain?

jerlands

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2017 10:55 pm
@coluber2001,
Ok.. but when you say something like " more surface area means more rapid desiccation" I'm thinkin' "well I have more surface area than a fly and I'm sure the fly would dry out sooner." You seem to be coming at it from the angle like atomizing fuel? But.. I'm still confused and don't really and truly see the relevance so can you help me connect the dots...?
coluber2001

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 12:28 am
@jerlands,
I was sent I was simply responding to your question,
" The question arises why would cells join? There must be some benefit to both... similar to bacteria becoming mitochondria."

It's easy to see the advantage of terrestrial organisms being multicellular just to slow down loss of water, but I don't know if that would apply to aquatic organisms.
jerlands

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 12:41 am
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:

It's easy to see the advantage of terrestrial organisms being multicellular just to slow down loss of water, but I don't know if that would apply to aquatic organisms.

If that were true you'd think flies would be much larger?
jerlands

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 12:46 am
@coluber2001,
I see life as an answer to the problem of survival. Everything representing a solution to a problem within all this. Sorta like saying everything represents an answer.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 01:37 am
@jerlands,
Insects have pretty much solved the problem with exoskeletons and cuticles and waxy substances to slow down evaporation of water.
jerlands

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 02:16 am
@coluber2001,
Yes, well.. why did two cells decide to get together?
coluber2001

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 11:05 am
@jerlands,
All right, so you had one cell mutate and divide, but the second cell didn't separate from the first. Let's take that as a given. What are the benefits of two cells together versus one? This is in an aquatic situation. That's your question, right?
jerlands

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 11:51 am
@coluber2001,
My question has to do with growth through evolution. The unity of cells representing one of the stages of evolution. I think the notion of uniting was hardcoded when a unity was first made. I think it's information, like code.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 11:57 am
@coluber2001,
from phagocytosis ,wherein food is encapsulated by pseudopoda of the single celled organism to the process of gastrulation by all deuterosomes, which creates a tube that becomes the entire organism, evo/devo moves along despite what the "laws of physics" say.

Life constantly tells physics to shove off, "wait till Im dead" then entropy and all of thermo will kick in. Until then, we shall buck most laws and chemical gradients, we shall mine energy from compounds that we create in-situ and we shall steal basic nutrients fromother existing compounds where we can grab a proton or three.

jerlands

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 01:24 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

we shall buck most laws and chemical gradients, we shall mine energy from compounds that we create in-situ and we shall steal basic nutrients fromother existing compounds where we can grab a proton or three

This is a type of behavior.. there are others.
farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 02:04 pm
@jerlands,
no, its a fact of the living state.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 02:33 pm
Certainly it is reasonable to describe genes passing on information. However, that's a human definition imposed from outside the system. I consider it a foregone conclusion that when god-botherers use a word like information, they're attempting to work their way around to a claim of intelligence acting on life forms. That's so they can eventually work their way back to "god," the only intelligence they think would be involved and which they dishonestly deny.

This is for you, god boy:

And he said, I tell thee, Peter, the cock shall not crow this day, before that thou shalt thrice deny that thou knowest me.
jerlands

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 03:13 pm
@Setanta,
Apparently you have your fixation... as for me... I'm movin' on...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2017 04:07 am
Yeah, you're moving on to try to find another bullshit basis for your fixation.
jerlands

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2017 10:46 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I think you're missing the point... Information seems to be the essential ingredient in both micro and macro evolution. At the cellular level I'm perceiving that as soon as the smallest elements joined an encoding for that act... primal but now bound in "nature." However, earth formed through a joining process so that in and of itself indicates some preexisting dominant force.. gravity? At the macro level... the human being is dependant on information to survive. The problem we have today is what's commonly referred to as "social disease." Social disease isn't constrained to sex. The influence one body has on another is self evident. You wonder if this experiment in democracy will succeed unless laws exist that permit nature to express herself without constraint.
jerlands

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2017 01:11 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Let me give you an example of a social virus.
here's a theory and here is the perversion of it
Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2017 01:19 pm
@jerlands,
I am certainly not wasting fourteen plus minutes of my time with drivel on youtube, nor reading a long Wikipedia article--neither of which are germane to this topic. Buy a vowel, get a clue--if you sneer at other people with unfounded accusations, it`s going to come right back on you. Your attempts to divert the attention of readers here will not succeed, because we are all literate and relatively well-educated, and can keep track of the discussion of the titular subject. It is abundantly obvious that your fixation is an attempt to demonstrate that there is an intelligence guiding biological evolution--an endeavor at which you consitently fail.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2017 01:23 pm
@jerlands,
No, there is no point I am missing, particularly the point that you are attempting to impose on random events a narrative which supports you theistic fantasy.
jerlands

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2017 02:39 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:

All right, so you had one cell mutate and divide, but the second cell didn't separate from the first. Let's take that as a given.

No,, that's not a given. Cells today retain individual identity and it's only through an external bond they're joined.
0 Replies

brianjakub

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2017 12:38 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
No, there is no point I am missing, particularly the point that you are attempting to impose on random events a narrative which supports you theistic fantasy.
For evolution of life to happen an operating system is built into quantum mechanics, biology and the environment that follows certain patterns. This is like a living computer running an algorithm that automatically makes if-then decisions leading to higher complexity. I would hardly call it a random process.

I haven't seen an operating systems or algorithms arise randomly out of nowhere lately. Have you?