Giant Tsunami will wipe out the entire East Coast of U.S.

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 12:42 pm
Linkat wrote:
20 miles inland!?! Is this the entire east coast? I am about 1 - 2 miles from the ocean and less than that (in Boston) during work. But at work I am on the eighth floor think that is high enough?

The funny thing is I thought about this and if I had to get some where pretty fast, I know a very high hill (they actually have skiing on it), that is only a few miles from my house. I have scoped exactly how I would drive to the top. I thought I was paranoid, but after what you wrote, I guess not.

Prior to the tsunami, I have had nightmares of huge tidal waves while I was on a beach at a tropical resort. The nightmares were quite terrifying and not even close to pictures of the actual event.

Yes, this is the entire East Coast... along with every other body of land in on this side of La Palma. No, the 8th floor will help you not at all. This wave will travel at over 500 mph so don't go thinking climbing a 3,4 or 500ft hill is going to make you safe... It's not.

As Farmerman pointed out on another thread; there was a miniature version of this landslide/tsunami effect that hit Alaska in 1958:

Location: Lituya Bay, on the southern coast of Alaska, just north of Glacier Bay.
Stats: On July 9, 1958 a HUGE earthquake triggered a HUGE landslide at the head of Lituya Bay. The first (and biggest) wave was an incredible 1,720ft/524 m high!

This one was apparently about 450ft when it made landfall, traveled up the side of a mountain and tore every tree out by the roots to an altitude of 1,700 ft. Every living thing on the hill was ripped clean out as you can see in the photo below.
http://www.extremescience.com/images/LituyaHeadland.gif
Source

No, I don't think your 8th floor vantage point (probably about a 100ft above sea level) would offer you any protection at all during such an event. Were I you, I'd be getting out of dodge as soon as you hear "Cumbre Vieja" has awakened.

Funny you should say that JP... I think it was in the story I linked above that told of fisherman who actually rode the wave out during the big Alaskan Tsunami... and lived to tell the tale. Talk about lucky. Shocked
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 01:38 pm
The hill I am talking about is 635 feet high at least where I plan on going to and is about 10 miles from the ocean. Will I be high enough? Looks like I may need to go to Mt. Wachusett about 2,000 feet and about an hour drive, about 60 miles. Now I have to re-plan my route and be prepared.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 01:52 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Funny you should say that JP... I think it was in the story I linked above that told of fisherman who actually rode the wave out during the big Alaskan Tsunami... and lived to tell the tale. Talk about lucky. Shocked

Talk about a wild ride!!! I can just imagine the looks on their faces and the mess in their pants after that one.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 01:58 pm
Linkat I am with you, I am parinoid and I live right outside of boston, if I could make it to at least the next state over, would that work and are they screwed to????

Linkat if it happens I'll see you at some ski mountain, lol
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 02:27 pm
I would think 10 miles in, 635ft up would be safe.... But if there's time, 2,000ft would be even better. If possible, I'd get the hell out of the area altogether, because the aftermath will be no picnic either. There will be no food, no clean water, no fuel, no electricity etc. People will fight for what little supplies survive. Imagine being one millions of survivors among millions of dead... all fighting for survival. Me? I'd rather blow some rainy-day-dough and get the hell out earlier... just like you would during a hurricane warning. Odds are; Cumbre Vieja won't erupt more than once during our lifetime... so it'll probably be a one time excessive precautionary measure.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 02:52 pm
Crazielady – Mt. Wachusett is not too far – 60 miles or so from Boston. If the eruption happens while I am at work, I will have to rush home, get my kids depending where they are that day, load the cats and I even thought about stocking up on lots of bottled water and oh don’t forget the husband too! And then drive like crazy the 60 miles to the ski resort and climb up the mountain while lugging the kids, cats and bottled water. I will have to do some research, but I don’t think you can drive up the mountain. I was hoping blue hills would be high enough as you can drive up just about the whole way.

I’ll have to plan some more. We do have lots of relatives out west – Montana, California, Washington so we do have some options. I think I would just load up the car, get as much cash as possible and head west.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 03:12 pm
Just be sure and beat the rush. Hurricane warnings turn the interstates into parking lots... so I can ill imagine what an impending doomsday-like threat to the entire eastern seaboard will do. It may sound silly to some, but disaster planning is a silly thing to not do. By the time they announce it; there's never enough water, batteries, airplane seats or time. Cash is vital, because without electricity there are no credit card readers. Think of it as insurance. Nothing staves off disaster like cautionÂ… and nothing invites it more than lack of preparation.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 03:36 pm
Something's gonna kill you - no matter how far and fast you run...shrugs fatalistically...
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 03:53 pm
Too true Deb... but I wear a seatbelt anyway. Idea
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 04:10 pm
Ah! The seatbelt is a good bet statistically speaking.....
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 04:20 pm
You're starting to get it... I also come in during lightning storms, even though the Tsunami described above is 80 times more likely to be what does me in. Idea
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 04:31 pm
lol

I am afeared you will take years off your life worrying about tsunami!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 04:50 pm
Na, my Cat 4 to 5 hurricane plans were already in place. Now; it's Cat 4 to 5 hurricane or "Cumbre Vieja is smoking" triggers my emergency plan... which is take a vacation to Wisconsin. Nothing too stressful there. I suspect you're assuming because of the magnitude of this impending disaster that it's on par with giant asteroids or something unpredictable like that. Nope. This one will happen... we know how and why and give or take a millennium or 2 when. It's never silly to consider the truth. :wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 04:53 pm
Lol!

Fire and Ice

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

-- Robert Frost

Gonna end in something.

Good luck to you Bill!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 06:09 pm
Occom Bill wrote:
Unimpeded, the Mega-Tsunami will arrive at the United States 7 hours after the enormous landslide with waves that Dr. Day's models predict will be nearly 200 feet high and will sweep up to 20 miles inland

Whew! I just got out my tape measure and have determined that I live 20 miles and eleven feet from the coast.

Guess I'll just pull up a chair and watch.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 07:36 pm
gonna need a beverage
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 07:37 pm
I'm coming to your house Gus!

Yeah, right. I'd sooner watch it from my pier. Shocked
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 07:39 pm
he doesnt get a beverage
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 08:33 am
Wimps! Beverage affluent, I'm gonna hook my balloon-floaty lawnchair onto the blimp-tether atop the Empire State Building.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 08:41 am
I'm already stocking up on plastic and duct tape...I think I'll be all right....
0 Replies