Giant Tsunami will wipe out the entire East Coast of U.S.

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 11:03 pm
Not today... but this is no joke.
I watched a program the other day about the findings of Dr Simon Day, of the Benfield Centre, University College in London. These findings were published well before the current Tsunami, btw. Apparently, off the African coast in the Canary Islands lies a somewhat unique volcano, "Cumbre Vieja" on the island of La Palma. This volcano erupts in intervals of a few decades to a couple of centuries. The last time it did, in 1971, it created a HUGE fault line that stretched for many kilometers… separating one huge chunk of the Island that weighs in at about 500 Billion Tons. Imagine a rock of 20 cubic kilometers being dropped into the ocean! Sound far-fetched? It's not. According to Dr. Day and his experts this type of event has occurred many times in our past, we just weren't writing stuff down last time it happened.

Anyway, what makes this volcano unique is that it is filled with water. Each time this thing erupts, it runs lava and creates a layer of rock, right? Now imagine the dirt that separates these layers of rock being very saturated with water. NOW imagine a volcano heating the water between these layers to the boiling point, and the pressure that puts on them, and you will understand where the incredible force comes from to move half a trillion tons of rock in one piece… creating the largest landslide in modern history.

Now, when this chunk of land hits the sea it will be heading into a part of the ocean that is almost 4 miles deep and it will create an undersea wave 2000 feet tall. Within five minutes of the landslide, this wave will form a dome of water about a mile high (literally Shocked). When this collapses it will create a Mega Tsunami from hell, traveling in all directions. A 300ft+ wave will strike the western Sahara in less than an hour. The rest of the Canary Islands will protect Europe from the worst of it, but they'll still be smacked hard. 3 hours in, Lisbon and La Coruña will be hit with 30ft+ foot waves. 6 hours in, South West England gets hit with the same thing. The Thames will see a surge it can't deal with and the barriers will burst… but even this is minor compared to what's in store the entire eastern seaboard of the United States.

Unimpeded, the Mega-Tsunami will arrive at the United States 7 hours after the enormous landslide with waves that Dr. Day's models predict will be nearly 200 feet high and will sweep up to 20 miles inland. This isn't a movie folks, and Dr. Day isn't a madman. These things have been happening on this planet for millions of years, though somewhat infrequently, and they're not going to stop happening just because we live here now. When asked the chances of this happening, Dr. Day explains: "It's not a question of "if" Cumbre Vieja collapses, it's simply a question of "when". The best models they have say the collapse will likely happen in the next 2,000 years (a few seconds in earth terms). That puts the chances at about 1 in 20 that it will happen in any 100 year span. Those aren't as good of odds as you might think. In Florida, for instance, an average of 10 people a year are killed by lightning strikes or 1 in 1.6 million. The odds of this Mega-Tsunami coming in any given year are 80 times higher than getting struck by lightning in Florida. Shocked

Good news: Volcanoes NEVER erupt without warning (or so they say)… which means as long as we're watching Cumbre Vieja very closely… and you better believe we are… we should have some warning. 7 hours is enough to get most of the people to higher ground I would think, though the cities would be a nightmare, and Florida is flat out doomed. If I see so much as a serious puff of smoke come out of that thing, I'm so out of here it isn't funny. Sweet dreams.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 15,448 • Replies: 75
No top replies

littlek

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 11:06 pm
Done been posted already, OBill.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 11:12 pm
Doe!... didn't realize that.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 01:08 am
no feaar Bill. youll have about 6 hours notice (if sombody caalls you ) then you have to get to the mountainous section of florida.

Beettter yet , follow these instructions

1 FIND ASS WITH BOTH HANDS

2 KISS NO 1 GOODBYE
0 Replies

kenji

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 02:32 am
I sawa progarmme about this a year or so back on the BBC; very interesting and a reminder of how precarious our existence actually is. There's also the chance of a huge object from space striking Earth and wiping out life too. By then though humankind may already have migrated into space and become aliens. Or perhaps not.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 06:58 am
Quote:
youll have about 6 hours notice (if sombody caalls you ) then you have to get to the mountainous section of florida.

Imagine the entire population of the east coast of Florida running for the "mountains" of Ocala. The horsies will be pissed that their land is being overrun with hysterical refugees. Laughing
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 07:57 am
I wasn't kidding at all. If Cumbre Vieja wakes up, simultaneously, so will I! I'll be off to Wisconsin like a shot! We know from hurricane evacuations that 7 hours isn't going to cut it. IF they successfully got the word out, at best, it would get people off the coast, but that's about it. No, no, no... I'll be chomping on cheese, watching the news, before that happens. Believe that. The way I interpret their calculations, a live Cumbre Vieja means about a 1 in 10 chance of this nightmare being realized. Shocked Not to me... I've seen enough of Mother Nature from our punk-a$$ little hurricanes to know better. You->"Cumbre Vieja is getting ready to erupt" Me-> "Okay bye!"
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 08:10 am
Bill- I know that you are not kidding. I also know that there are so many awful things that might happen to people, that unless a tsunami is imminent, I plan to do nothing.

I don't know if anyone posted Day's study, but here it is. Fascinating!

http://www.es.ucsc.edu/~ward/papers/La_Palma_grl.pdf
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 08:30 am
I guess here in Raleigh I'll have beachfront property...all I have to do is sit tight and watch my equity grow....I wonder if, based on these projections, I can go ahead and get a big equity line of credit....gotta look at the half full glass....
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 08:44 am
where do ya think all the **** from the beach houses Duck is gonna wind up? Youll have what we call "a stick dump" there in the tri cities
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 08:48 am
you're pissing in my cornflakes farmerman...I was already spending my money in my mind....I was thinking about building a dock and a couple of slips in the yard and getting another jet ski and maybe a nice boat......let the neighbors call me Noah...they're short sighted.....
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 08:57 am
Would it take out massachusetts???
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 09:13 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Bill- I know that you are not kidding. I also know that there are so many awful things that might happen to people, that unless a tsunami is imminent, I plan to do nothing.
You're on the West Coast, Darlin... you'd probably only have to move a couple miles from the water. I couldn't get to your house in 7 hours during an evacuation. This doesn't strike me as one of those unpredictable giant meteor type events that you can't control so why worry. The writing seems pretty clearly on the wall and the scientists have told us what to watch for. I'll treat an eruption at Cumbre Vieja the same as I would a strong Cat 5 storm approaching the Bahamas. As bizarre as it seems, the odds of landfall at that point are roughly the same. Idea
I've watched enough Cat 2 and 3 storms to know to get the hell out of a Cat 5's way. This would be like a Cat 666! I don't think my storm shutters are going to cut it.
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I don't know if anyone posted Day's study, but here it is. Fascinating!
Very worth the read. I dinked around for hours reading various takes online and there are plenty of people in agreement... and NO people saying Dr. Day's cracked. The nearest thing to denial I heard was some dude at NOAA saying we can't know for sure that it would happen all at once. No comfort there. I do wonder what percentage of the people will get caught with their heads firmly planted in the sand?

Crazylady; Boston will be the first big U.S. city to be washed out! You best be paying attention to the volcano as well!
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 09:14 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I wasn't kidding at all. If Cumbre Vieja wakes up, simultaneously, so will I! I'll be off to Wisconsin like a shot!

God bless the midwest! It may be -3 outside today but I ain't worried about no stinkin' little wave, hurricane or earthquake... of course you have to watch out for those pesky tornados... where is the nearest trailer park anyways???
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 09:17 am
yeah but living in the midwest is....well....the midwest....no offense meant....there is such a thing as quality of life....
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 09:19 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
yeah but living in the midwest is....well....the midwest....no offense meant....there is such a thing as quality of life....

Yeah...........but if it's "the only game in town...................." Sad
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 09:23 am
[quote="OCCOM BILL
Crazylady; Boston will be the first big U.S. city to be washed out! You best be paying attention to the volcano as well![/quote]

Well if this is true, then this is the first I have heard of this, don't you think more people would know about it and be preparing for this event?? Also, if this is true, then when is it predicted to happen so I can get the hell out of here?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 09:25 am
Crazielady420 wrote:
[quote="OCCOM BILL
Crazylady; Boston will be the first big U.S. city to be washed out! You best be paying attention to the volcano as well!

Well if this is true, then this is the first I have heard of this, don't you think more people would know about it and be preparing for this event?? Also, if this is true, then when is it predicted to happen so I can get the hell out of here?[/quote]

The department of homeland security has recommended that you immediately buy large rolls of plastic and duct tape....
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 09:27 am
Here is the best prediction that this is imminent....when it's announced that the White House is being moved to St. Louis you know the tsunami is right around the corner
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 09:28 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

The worst thing about living here is it has turned into a test market for companies. It is dominated by chain restaurants, chain stores, chain everything.... everything is just so... average.
0 Replies